Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Twins - Rate?
AfterSchoolMom 03:47 PM 11-18-2011
Normal full time rates for my area vary wildly between $85 and $150 weekly. Given this, what would you charge (if you were me) for twin 8 month olds, 3 full days per week?
dave4him 03:51 PM 11-18-2011
As a twin parent i wish i could get a discount, but everyone said the same thing and it was 400 a month per kid.
Ariana 03:58 PM 11-18-2011
I wouldn't give a discount for twins. I don't for siblings either. Centres certainly don't and it's double the care so I wouldn't personally. Friends of mine that make very good salaries were able to get subsidies that they wouldn't otherwise be qualified for because they have twins in daycare.
MyAngels 04:38 PM 11-18-2011
I've had two sets of twins over the years and I charge my full rate for both spots. Honestly, with the two sets I've had, their parents are lucky that I didn't charge them more than my normal rate .
Live and Learn 04:40 PM 11-18-2011
As a parent of twins I can tell you that I never expect and rarely receive a discount for ANYTHING,
AfterSchoolMom 05:06 PM 11-18-2011
So, parents of twins, does that mean that you'd have been more likely to go with a provider who offered you a discount?

I generally charge $25-30 for a full day. However, for some reason I can't bring myself to tell this person that I want $180 for three days care. It seems like so much! I'm quite sure that the work involved would be totally worth it though.
caring4kidsinSD 05:16 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
S

I generally charge $25-30 for a full day. However, for some reason I can't bring myself to tell this person that I want $180 for three days care. It seems like so much! I'm quite sure that the work involved would be totally worth it though.
I wouldn't tell them it's $180 I'd say it's $30 per child per day. let them do the math!
Danielle 05:36 PM 11-18-2011
I have a set of twins right now that are here 2 days/week for full days (8-5:30). I get $150/week for them. If it was 2 non-siblings, I'd get $200/week.
Nellie 06:31 PM 11-18-2011
So off the subject, but for the last 2 weeks when ever I see anything with the mentioning of rates I think "Holey, Moley that's alot of money. I can't believe they get so much." I don't know if it is my cold or that I've been running on little sleep. I have to sit and THINK HARD about what is charged and what I charge before I realize "Oh wow that is so little for so much work." The area I live the average licensed home daycare makes 125 to 130 a week per child. Some more some less. I saw one post where a lady was charging $70 per child per week and it took me FOREVER to realize that she wasn't raking in the loot like I thought.
Sorry I just had to share my sorry confusion.
AfterSchoolMom 06:38 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
So off the subject, but for the last 2 weeks when ever I see anything with the mentioning of rates I think "Holey, Moley that's alot of money. I can't believe they get so much." I don't know if it is my cold or that I've been running on little sleep. I have to sit and THINK HARD about what is charged and what I charge before I realize "Oh wow that is so little for so much work." The area I live the average licensed home daycare makes 125 to 130 a week per child. Some more some less. I saw one post where a lady was charging $70 per child per week and it took me FOREVER to realize that she wasn't raking in the loot like I thought.
Sorry I just had to share my sorry confusion.
I think a LOT of parents have this problem as well, except they never come to the conslusion that it's a small amount.

Since I posted above I started thinking... $180 weekly for three days sounds like a lot, but it's $6 per hour, or $3 per hour, per child. Really, really NOT a lot when you think of it that way. The problem is, I already know that I probably won't get the family for that rate.
Crazy8 07:11 PM 11-18-2011
If you want the family I see nothing wrong with giving them a little bit of a discount but make sure you are happy with that decision and won't regret it a few months from now when you realize twin toddlers olds are A LOT of work, LOL!!! I have discounted siblings in the past - $10/week. I've never regretted it - always had families who appreciated the discount and knew that many places wouldn't do that for them.
Live and Learn 07:33 PM 11-18-2011
So, parents of twins, does that mean that you'd have been more likely to go with a provider who offered you a discount?
I never had any of my children in even one day of daycare.
dave4him 08:01 PM 11-18-2011
I opted to be a stay at home dad
Wise choice
small_steps 08:24 PM 11-18-2011
I have twins too...they are 8 now. I've always considered the phrase "you get what you pay for" when shopping for anything, especially child care. I actually had a call today for twins that are 5 months and their 2 year old sibling. I charge $140 per week for infants and $115 for the two year old. Childcare for her would be almost $400. I would have given her a discount but not a very large one because infants are ALOT of work.
dave4him 08:38 PM 11-18-2011
A whole lot
MyAngels 11:10 PM 11-18-2011

That doesn't seem like too much to me. I'm charging $190 for a 4 1/2 y/o and 8 month old sibs right now for three days per week, and that's actually a slight discounted rate as they are one of my longest term families.

I don't live in an area where rates are high, either, my full-time rate is $125 per week, part time is $100 per week.
Heidi 05:07 PM 11-21-2011
I can tell you from my own recent experience with baby twins that

2x the toddlers = 4x the work! They are adorable, but they sure are a lot of extra work!

Think about it. Two children at the exact same developmental stage ganging up on you!
Cat Herder 05:23 PM 11-21-2011
I do give a discount. 40% off second child. Pick your jaw off the floor..

Heres the catch... One pickup, one drop-off, per FAMILY, per day. If one is excluded for illness, both must stay out. They must attend or stay out, together. I keep the 48 hours MINIMUM exclusion if sent home midday policy as well. For both.

It is worth the loss of income for me to maintain order and minimize illness exposure to my group AND my family. Yep, I have quirks. (I also promised my neighbors I'd do everything in my power to minimize traffic)

My first employer had this policy after a mass outbreak. It was a long running theory of hers. It was proven correct IMHO. There are a few of us locally that still practice it.

NOW, know it is a very unpopular policy and I don't recommend newer providers try it for at least 5 years of service and word of mouth referrals. Just my opinion, but it is HARD to get parents to understand and requires LOTS of policing. They will ALL try to get out of it MANY times.

Granted when I give them the option of paying full price and attending as they wish, they decline.
earthtoashley 12:34 AM 12-20-2011
As a mom of twin toddlers, I am MORE LIKELY to choose a daycare that offers me some sort of discount-- we are a military and fall right on the border of getting a discount.. luckily we do get a government discount for childcare, but that still does not make it that much more affordable. So any extra help is grately appreciate to my husband and I. We have to pay double for EVERYTHING, so discounts wherever we can get them are very important to us. We do not expect it, however, we are thankful to the person/company who gives them to us.
Michael 12:47 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by earthtoashley:
As a mom of twin toddlers, I am MORE LIKELY to choose a daycare that offers me some sort of discount-- we are a military and fall right on the border of getting a discount.. luckily we do get a government discount for childcare, but that still does not make it that much more affordable. So any extra help is grately appreciate to my husband and I. We have to pay double for EVERYTHING, so discounts wherever we can get them are very important to us. We do not expect it, however, we are thankful to the person/company who gives them to us.
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
cheerfuldom 06:14 AM 12-20-2011
I dont have twins but I just wanted to say.....its not "paying double for everything".....every other person who has two kids pays for daycare for each kid so why would twins be different? That said, OP, if you need the family, why not offer a discount? you don't have to offer that to anyone else.
2ndFamilyDC 06:46 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I've had two sets of twins over the years and I charge my full rate for both spots. Honestly, with the two sets I've had, their parents are lucky that I didn't charge them more than my normal rate .

I hear you on that!

I have watched two sets of twins over the years, I did give discounts.
Definitely would not today.
mismatchedsocks 08:06 AM 12-20-2011
I dont have twins but I have sisters who are here 9 hours a day 3 times a week and I get $200 for them. I dont offer too much of a discount besides rounding down to make it an even number. They also only get 3 days of vacation a year.

If they leave, then I have 2 openings. If they were twin infants I would charge normal rate for each child.
frgsonmysox 06:48 AM 12-22-2011
I'd only give a discount if you normally discount sibs. Just because they share a birthdate doesn't mean they are entitled to a different discount than other siblings.
KEG123 07:32 AM 12-22-2011
I have twins that pay the same amount as other families. 25/day per child.
Solandia 02:18 PM 12-22-2011
I have never done sibling discounts for several reasons. Siblings are more work, more boundry issues/personal space, and issues with appropriate play & following the rules/thinking the rules don't apply because they can play that way at home together. It is higher risk income as if the parent loses a job or moves, that is twice the spots to fill. Twins, in particular, are even more 'work' than 2 siblings. And most definately more work than two exactly the same age non-siblings. I absolutely love the twin interactions when they are not my responsibility.

I can see no reason to provide a discount to a client that is higher financial risk and more work.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by earthtoashley:
I don't mean this rudely but of course people who have more than one child would want a place that gives discounts but having twins isn't a disability, it is simply having two kids at once. It isn't any different than other families that have more than one child. I think it is wrong to expect special treatment/discounts just because you have more than one child at the same time.

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont have twins but I just wanted to say.....its not "paying double for everything".....every other person who has two kids pays for daycare for each kid so why would twins be different? That said, OP, if you need the family, why not offer a discount? you don't have to offer that to anyone else.
AGREED! I thought the same thing when I originally read this post. Why are twins any different than regular sibling sets?

I would ONLY discount if I discounted EVERYONE with more than one child, not simply because it were twins.
Tags:military, sibling discount, twins
Reply Up