Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Times???
TSDaycare 10:23 AM 07-20-2017
Do your parents forget children's lunches??
I do not provide lunch for school age children, so during summer and school days off they bring their lunch. Some parents are worse than others, but they forget more often than I can imagine I ever would, especially since it's something they need everyday....like a book bag, shoes, clothes on, etc., daily routine stuff.
If I notice early enough I have them bring it or throwing something together is always fun, not!
kendallina 10:52 AM 07-20-2017
I charge $5 to make a pb and j and my parents never forget. I do have really good, respectful parents, though.
LysesKids 11:04 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Do your parents forget children's lunches??
I do not provide lunch for school age children, so during summer and school days off they bring their lunch. Some parents are worse than others, but they forget more often than I can imagine I ever would, especially since it's something they need everyday....like a book bag, shoes, clothes on, etc., daily routine stuff.
If I notice early enough I have them bring it or throwing something together is always fun, not!
I would just raise my rates a little & provide sack lunches during summer/days off. I hate having to worry whether a child will eat or not and so much forgetfulness would stress me. I also don't take older kids lol; Thankful my families are pretty good about diapers & spare clothes - I provide meals
KiwiKids 11:26 AM 07-20-2017
I do packed lunches year round now, started after I had shoulder surgery this past fall and everyone liked it and the kids ate better. I think two of my families have forgotten once or twice in the last 6 months. One was today and the family offered to buy pizza for everyone ( just my kids and their kids today ) and have it delivered at lunch time.
Cat Herder 11:30 AM 07-20-2017
In your shoes I'd buy a box of uncrustables, some raisin boxes, pretzel packs, individual milk boxes and keep them in the freezer. Grab as needed and call it a day. (AKA: toddler emergency meal evacuation kit.)

For a convenience fee, of course.
daycare 11:32 AM 07-20-2017
I would do two things, not allow drop off without the lunch in hand and or they have to pay a flat fee for meals in advance.
Ariana 03:23 PM 07-20-2017
At my kids school they call the parents when lunch is missing. I know because my kid lost her lunch in her classroom and they called me. They eventually found it because I knew I did not forget it!! The lady (admin) was pretty rude on the phone and said "well she needs a lunch so when can you get here with it"!!

Perhaps you should do the same!
Pestle 04:46 PM 07-20-2017
I'm with Ariana--calling the parents and telling them to bring a lunch so their child will have something to eat. I provide meals, but if I didn't, I would want to keep my family kitchen separate from the day care--I wouldn't want to set the precedent that parents can expect me to feed their children out of my own pantry. Forcing the parents to leave work and drive across town would certainly help them remember in the future!

If that seems too harsh, I'd want to have some very basic, plain food set aside, with a steep fee, as some of the other providers are saying. Nothing I'd have to replenish in my fridge as it spoils. Not to punish the kids, but to keep home and day care separate.
daycare 05:03 PM 07-20-2017
Our school just gives the kid hot lunch and bills you for it. If you don't pay it they cant participate in any extra curricular activities. My son has lost lunch and had to eat school food only one time. He hates the school food. He said he'd rather go hungry. Lol.
CityGarden 05:36 PM 07-20-2017
I do not serve lunches, one child has arrived without it twice when dad drops off but dad quickly has gone home to bring it.
TSDaycare 04:40 AM 07-21-2017
Problem is I generally may not notice until lunch time, drop off can be hectic so it doesn't run through my head as they are unloading all their other crap, so waiting for parents to bring lunch is not an option at that point. Also, it really erks me when it's the older kids, and then they blame their parents for forgetting.....no YOU are 8/9/10 years old, you can remember that you need your lunch EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Reply Up