Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods>Wood Baby Toys
craftymissbeth 11:50 AM 05-01-2014
I'm in the process of ditching all of my plastic toys and purchasing only wood toys. First I'm focusing on infant toys... so I'm looking for tethers, rattles, etc.

Anyone have any good INEXPENSIVE online sources?

Also, I have to disinfect infant toys daily, so how do you go about doing so without damaging them? I'm not interested in using vinegar because I'm not convinced of it's disinfecting properties.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm in the process of ditching all of my plastic toys and purchasing only wood toys. First I'm focusing on infant toys... so I'm looking for tethers, rattles, etc.

Anyone have any good INEXPENSIVE online sources?

Also, I have to disinfect infant toys daily, so how do you go about doing so without damaging them? I'm not interested in using vinegar because I'm not convinced of it's disinfecting properties.
Since you mentioned this, I have been thinking lately about the number of providers I know both in real life and virtually and was wondering if or how many of you would be interested in purchasing those types of things via mail order?

My DH said he would LOVE to make a bunch of toys and smaller, shippable items to sell. I told him the forum would be a perfect place since so many providers gather here....

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but thought I'd ask for your thoughts about it since you are looking....kwim?
craftymissbeth 12:38 PM 05-01-2014
Oh I'd totally be interested!
butterfly 12:45 PM 05-01-2014
I have several wood toys that I've picked up at thrift stores or rummage sales. I love them for older kids, but I do not like them for infants. I can't safely deep clean them. I wouldn't want to give them to anyone who's still mouthing toys.

I just wash mine with a soapy warm wash cloth. I don't know of any way to deep clean them without damaging them.
spud912 01:42 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Since you mentioned this, I have been thinking lately about the number of providers I know both in real life and virtually and was wondering if or how many of you would be interested in purchasing those types of things via mail order?

My DH said he would LOVE to make a bunch of toys and smaller, shippable items to sell. I told him the forum would be a perfect place since so many providers gather here....

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread but thought I'd ask for your thoughts about it since you are looking....kwim?
I definitely would!
LysesKids 11:46 AM 05-19-2014
I use Benefect for disinfecting my stuff… wood included, spray on and leave it alone, no wiping needed. So far my wood toys have held up fine. Only bad part of Benefect is it's so spendy, but it's plant based, EPA approved and it's less toxic than vinegar/water
craftymissbeth 12:13 PM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I use Benefect for disinfecting my stuff… wood included, spray on and leave it alone, no wiping needed. So far my wood toys have held up fine. Only bad part of Benefect is it's so spendy, but it's plant based, EPA approved and it's less toxic than vinegar/water
Thank you! I'm going to look into ordering some.
craftymissbeth 12:16 PM 05-19-2014
Since I mentioned my lambskin rug, I just wanted to add a picture of my 6mo dcb. He 's his rug! He's normally very high maintenance, but the feeling of the rug makes him relax. Right now he's zoning out, looking out the window

(I have permission to post this pic)

Not sure why it's upside down. I'm on the iPad so I have no idea what I'm doing
Attached: image.jpg (113.4 KB) 
AmyKidsCo 06:16 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Me too, depending on price.
Little Buttons 10:05 AM 06-20-2014
Blackcat-I would be 100% interested in wooden toys!! I do not really buy plastic toys except for outdoor use.

OP-I disinfect my wooden toys with tea tree oil, vinegar, theives oil solution and/or my steamer. I like Melissa and Doug toys, Alex Toys, Green Toys, Hape Toys, even Eric Carl makes some cute wooden toys. And ofcourse I love Ikea Toys :-)
SunshineKids 11:55 AM 07-09-2014
Originally Posted by Little Buttons:
I like Melissa and Doug toys, Alex Toys, Green Toys, Hape Toys, even Eric Carl makes some cute wooden toys. And ofcourse I love Ikea Toys :-)
Ditto!

I've also seen nice wooden toys on etsy.com! I bought a wooden ring teether half wrapped with organic yarn, from a shop called Quality Montessori. Highly recommend her shop! There are also many other sellers too with nice things-- Etsy might be worth a look!
SunshineKids 11:58 AM 07-09-2014
Blackcat: definitely! I've thought before that there is probably a market for buying natural toys through catalog and direct selling.
MarinaVanessa 02:28 PM 07-09-2014
I gather up all of my wooden toys and dunk them in a bin (mortar mixing pan from Lowe's) of bleach/water solution then I take them out and lay them on a towel on my kitchen table to air dry. I do check them before and if there is visible dirt/grime I scrub with a brush and soapy water. The only thing I don't like about doing this is that sometimes having them wet so much can warp the wood. I can't afford to buy the high quality wood toys so maybe it's the toys I have.
AslansG1rl 10:40 PM 08-19-2014
Is there any particular reason a lot of people seem to be switching to wooden toys?

Apparently I live under a rock!
Josiegirl 02:06 PM 08-29-2015
BC, did anything ever come of your dh making wooden toys? I've been looking around online and am putting a little bit of money away each week to indulge in something new and natural for daycare. I LOVELOVELOVE the Grimm's wooden toys. But they're pricey. If I'm going to pay that price, I'd rather the money go to someone I *know*.
Josiegirl 02:12 PM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by AslansG1rl:
Is there any particular reason a lot of people seem to be switching to wooden toys?

Apparently I live under a rock!
There are probably other reasons but plastic isn't the safest of materials; there can be so many chemicals added to it. Plastic usually breaks easier. A lot of plastic toys have all kinds of bells and whistles to entertain a child while plain wooden toys need a creative imagination to make them come alive.
I'm sure others will chime in. I just like the Feng Shui feeling of natural wooden toys. And since I've slowly started decluttering/reorganizing my house and daycare, I want to have less stuff but stuff that will withstand the test of time.
Tags:montessori, toys - wooden, waldorf method, wood, wooden blocks
Reply Up