Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>8 Month Old Not Eating In DC
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:08 PM 06-30-2017
My current 8 month dcg eats very little while in my care. She takes formula and we are averaging about 10 oz per day (she's with me for 9 hours, M-F). I've had her for just over 3 months, and she's always been a "grazer" wanting to only do small frequent bottles. But no matter how many bottles or at what interval, she still only takes about 10 oz a day here. (I've tried letting her graze, I'm currently doing bigger bottles and spreading them out a bit more.) When she goes home she takes 8 oz bottles and is still waking 2-3 times a night to eat. I've got her on a pretty good routine here with her naps, but she just is not interested in food. She does the same with solids, mom has introduced several things at home, but 5 bites of anything is about the max here. She is a very happy and healthy baby, rarely fusses and is always on the go. DCP haven't expressed concern, but I'm sure they're ready for a full nights sleep. Also it seems to be getting worse rather than better... any suggestions?
Michael 03:30 PM 06-30-2017
More threads on Infants not eating: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+-+won%27t+eat
Leigh 04:01 PM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
My current 8 month dcg eats very little while in my care. She takes formula and we are averaging about 10 oz per day (she's with me for 9 hours, M-F). I've had her for just over 3 months, and she's always been a "grazer" wanting to only do small frequent bottles. But no matter how many bottles or at what interval, she still only takes about 10 oz a day here. (I've tried letting her graze, I'm currently doing bigger bottles and spreading them out a bit more.) When she goes home she takes 8 oz bottles and is still waking 2-3 times a night to eat. I've got her on a pretty good routine here with her naps, but she just is not interested in food. She does the same with solids, mom has introduced several things at home, but 5 bites of anything is about the max here. She is a very happy and healthy baby, rarely fusses and is always on the go. DCP haven't expressed concern, but I'm sure they're ready for a full nights sleep. Also it seems to be getting worse rather than better... any suggestions?
How much is she drinking at home? I'm guessing if she is feeding 2-3 time per night, at supper, at breakfast (before daycare), that she is getting everything she needs at home.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 06:28 PM 06-30-2017
She is for sure drinking everything she needs. But is still not sttn because she wakes up to eat. I didn't know if anyone had tips on possibly getting more daytime ounces to help eliminate the night time ones.
Leigh 06:38 PM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
She is for sure drinking everything she needs. But is still not sttn because she wakes up to eat. I didn't know if anyone had tips on possibly getting more daytime ounces to help eliminate the night time ones.
As long as her parents continue to feed her at night, there's not much you can do. At this age, she doesn't NEED to eat during the night, and THEY will have to train her out of nighttime feeding.
Ariana 07:38 PM 06-30-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
How much is she drinking at home? I'm guessing if she is feeding 2-3 time per night, at supper, at breakfast (before daycare), that she is getting everything she needs at home.
Definitely! Waking 2-3 times a night to eat really adds up. She seems to get the bulk of her calories at home and the only way to change that would be sleep training to get rid of night wakings. If mom is not on board with that then rest assured she is getting her calories in! No amount of anything you do at daycare will stop these night wakings.
trix23 07:53 PM 07-01-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
As long as her parents continue to feed her at night, there's not much you can do. At this age, she doesn't NEED to eat during the night, and THEY will have to train her out of nighttime feeding.

I'm having this issue with my 9 month old. How do you do that? He shares a room with older brother
Leigh 10:00 AM 07-02-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I'm having this issue with my 9 month old. How do you do that? He shares a room with older brother
I do something similar to this method: http://drcraigcanapari.com/learned-h...night-feeding/

Another thing: If you're breastfeeding, have your significant other be the one to tend to the baby at night (with a bottle). Even if you're formula feeding, it might be a good idea to break up the routine and have someone else take over nights.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:45 PM 07-02-2017
As the others have said, this a problem that has to be figured out at home. As long as they are responding to her wakings with feedings, she will continue to wake and want food. Just think, during the day, she is getting 10 oz, but at night, she is getting almost 24 oz! Ime, an 8 month old taking 8 oz bottles, plus food, would get a bottle for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a top off before bed, but pretty much about 4 bottles per day, and since she is getting them mostly at night, it is no wonder she is not hungry. They have let her get her days/nights backwards, so they will have to work on switching them around! Im glad she is at least happy! i would figure she is sleeping quite a bit more to make up for lack of sleep at night, so the only thing i would do is not let her sleep the day away if she is trying to nap all day.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:42 PM 07-02-2017
You mean I can't fix everything?!

...Sounds like I need to just keep doing what I do and let it be.
hwichlaz 10:40 AM 07-03-2017
Formula and breastmilk are complete nutrition for the entire first year. Solids are just for experience until that first birthday. <3
Tags:infant - won't eat, won't eat
Reply Up