Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Religious Discrimination?
Mummy101 05:59 PM 06-30-2017
I have been with a childcare agency/voucher program for over a year now. It is now time to renew our contract and there is a new manager, the old one left. I was informed that they could not keep our contract because I am a Christian based childcare home. They reason they gave was that the EEC does not allow this and they must operate like a public school. The then told me that they will be finding new placements for the children. I have a statement of faith in my handbook, which they were aware of and fine with from the beginning by the way. It also says I do not discriminate based on gender, marital status religious creed etc. I obviously teach about all religions per the proper curriculum. Can they really discriminate me in this manner? What if I said I was a Muslim based childcare home, would they be so quick to discriminate then?
CalCare 07:23 PM 06-30-2017
Hi, where are you located? Idk anything about agencies. I'm in CA.
Mummy101 07:44 PM 06-30-2017
Massachusetts. Here its the EEC
284878 07:50 AM 07-01-2017
Is this the only agency that you can use?
e.j. 01:54 PM 07-01-2017
I don't take vouchers so I don't have any experience or knowledge about the programs that issue them but I would think as long as your handbook states you don't discriminate, I would question the decision. Since the new manager is basically blaming it on EEC, I would check with your licensor to see what she/he says about the situation.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 07-01-2017
Originally Posted by footprintsfamilychildcare:
I have been with a childcare agency/voucher program for over a year now. It is now time to renew our contract and there is a new manager, the old one left. I was informed that they could not keep our contract because I am a Christian based childcare home. They reason they gave was that the EEC does not allow this and they must operate like a public school. The then told me that they will be finding new placements for the children. I have a statement of faith in my handbook, which they were aware of and fine with from the beginning by the way. It also says I do not discriminate based on gender, marital status religious creed etc. I obviously teach about all religions per the proper curriculum. Can they really discriminate me in this manner? What if I said I was a Muslim based childcare home, would they be so quick to discriminate then?
Maybe it has to do with wording. You say you don't discriminate based on religion and welcome all but yet you are a Christian program. Kind of like McDonald's saying Vegans can come in and order but that doesn't change that they are hamburger place (generally speaking) so maybe although you don't discriminate against other religions its probably safe to say a Buddhist family more than likely won't seek your program out and/or enroll...kwim?

Seems as of late more and more agencies that provide financial support for programs and families aren't wanting to be seen as discriminatory themselves so they want participants that are literally non-denominational and by saying you are a Christian program the idea leads most to think it's for Christians only.

I don't know....I have no idea what your agency/voucher company has to follow for rules and regulations and I know nothing about MA law but that is something that immediately stuck out to me....
e.j. 03:20 PM 07-01-2017
I did a little snooping and based on the information on your web site, I can see where the agency may see this as a "separation between church and state" kind of thing but you do offer alternatives to your usual curriculum if a parent objects to it. I'd still check with your licensor to see if he/she can confirm what the agency is telling you and/or offer suggestions that would still allow you to work with the agency.
Mummy101 05:27 AM 07-03-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I did a little snooping and based on the information on your web site, I can see where the agency may see this as a "separation between church and state" kind of thing but you do offer alternatives to your usual curriculum if a parent objects to it. I'd still check with your licensor to see if he/she can confirm what the agency is telling you and/or offer suggestions that would still allow you to work with the agency.
I am a long time reader, first time poster. Thank you Blackcat for the reply, you are always helpful and knowledgeable! I value your input. This is the clip from my handbook available on my website. I teach about all religions in the curriculum. However, I home-school and feel the parents have a right to know we are Christian so they can make an informed decision. I address this first when I do a tour. All my families are on board as well.

STATEMENT OF FAITH
Footprints is a Christian based childcare home. Children will be exposed to a Biblical philosophy of life, and be encouraged to love others as themselves, to become contributing citizens, and to increase knowledge and acquire skills necessary to serve others. Our curriculum includes stories and learning about the Bible. We say grace before we eat. If you have objections to your child participating in these activities, please let us know so that other arrangements can be made for your child during this time.

DISCLAIMER
No child or their family will be discriminated against based on race, color, religious creed, handicap, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy or citizenship status.
Mummy101 05:42 PM 07-03-2017
Sorry about that..Thank you e.j. as well. I have a little trouble deciphering who is who in the threads. I am still getting used to it.
e.j. 07:35 PM 07-03-2017
No problem. I hope your licensor can help you. Hopefully the new manager is misinformed.
Mummy101 12:57 PM 07-04-2017
Well, the good thing is my families are backing me 100%!
hwichlaz 10:19 AM 07-05-2017
Here's my wording, that gets me around it.

While Wichlaz FCCH is not a religious ECE program, my family is Christian. Being that this is a home business, your children are going to be exposed to our religious beliefs and practice by proximity. They'll observe prayers before meals, and religious holiday decorations. I'll not instruct anyone else's child on religion, but my lessons on morality and behavior will follow my own religious beliefs.
284878 08:09 PM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by footprintsfamilychildcare:
I wonder if Tom Copeland could help you with this. He may be able to read your contract and advise you better.
Tags:discrimination, discrimination- religious, religion
Reply Up