Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Policy Regarding Rashes
Lorna 06:48 AM 07-06-2017
Wonder what everyones sick policy is in regards to rashes. I have 2 kids out sick that came down with rashes. Both kids went to the doctor and they were told they were viral. Both parents were told by the doctor that they would be contagious. So they have not been here this week yet. Both are staying home again today. Just not sure of when they should be allowed to return to daycare. Both kids still have the rash not healed. But should I ask the rash be completely gone? Both kids seem to have it more as sores on their bums not. Should I ask that they are healed not seeping?

This is the first time I have had rashes like this. Not sure how to deal with it.

Thanks in Advance!
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 07-06-2017
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Wonder what everyones sick policy is in regards to rashes. I have 2 kids out sick that came down with rashes. Both kids went to the doctor and they were told they were viral. Both parents were told by the doctor that they would be contagious. So they have not been here this week yet. Both are staying home again today. Just not sure of when they should be allowed to return to daycare. Both kids still have the rash not healed. But should I ask the rash be completely gone? Both kids seem to have it more as sores on their bums not. Should I ask that they are healed not seeping?

This is the first time I have had rashes like this. Not sure how to deal with it.

Thanks in Advance!
I exclude for any unexplained rash.
The Dr saying it's viral is NOT explained.

I would not allow them to return until they have been without the rash for a full 24 hours.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 07-06-2017
It sounds like Hand Foot and Mouth if there are weepy spots with the rash...

HFM is awful if the kids are allowed to return before healed as it spreads quickly and kids can get re-infected too...
Lorna 07:14 AM 07-06-2017
Yeah that is what I am thinking. hfm and the doctors are misdiagnosing.
Unregistered 07:45 AM 07-06-2017
Hand foot mouth IS viral.
hwichlaz 01:39 PM 07-06-2017
most viral rashes are no longer contagious when they get to the dry flakey stage.
Ariana 04:44 PM 07-07-2017
Rashes are so tricky because once the rash presents itself the virus has already gone through your home. Excluding for a viral rash is not going to help eliminate it for the most part. For me the rash must be diagnosed as something. It really depends on the rash and what virus is causing it. A Dr simply saying it is viral is not helpful and I would exclude until it was gone.
Cat Herder 08:48 AM 07-09-2017
Coxsackie Virus:

This virus is quite contagious and most children will get this virus during the first 4 years of life.

The incubation period is 3-6 days after exposure.

Children are contagious 2 days before to 2 days after the mouth sores develop.

Children can return to school or daycare once their fever has resolved. Children do not need to be excluded from school or daycare due to the mouth sores.

If a child develops the rash on the palms and soles or elsewhere on the body, it signifies an immune response, and the child is no longer contagious.

The fever will typically last 2-5 days.

The mouth ulcers usually appear by day 2-3 of the illness, and resolve in 7 days.

The rash on the hands and feet is typically seen later in the illness, and can last up to 10 days. The hands and feet may peel as the rash is resolving.

Dehydration is the main concern, as many children refuse liquids due to mouth and throat pain.
Tags:coxsackie, rash - open
Reply Up