Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should They Pay?
Ariana 04:49 AM 07-18-2017
I have a part time family that has a varying schedule. Dad is a firefighter and he takes care of the kids when he is not working. Sometimes he picks up extra shifts and asks me to take the kids and sometimes the kids are here when he is off. Basically they routinely ask me for extra days above their set schedule (gave me the yearly schedule upon starting).

The way payment works is they only pay for their pre set scheduled days. So if they are sick during a prescheduled day and don't come they still have to pay.

Today was an "extra" day that was arranged on Sunday night. I get a text this morning that one of the kids is sick so both kids are staying home. Should I charge them for that day? kind of a grey area!
Jupadia 05:07 AM 07-18-2017
Till recently (they moved) I had a family with a similar schedule but he was a paramedic. I only charged the set days they gave me if sick but would also include this to cover any days they added on and canceled for. My way of looking at it was they booked for they day so then I could not accept another child if I were to get a drop in call.

They only time I have not charged for canceled days was a child that was strictly drop in at the time and I had a open space most of the time then (before ratios changed in Ontario). I would only charge if she booked a week and was not here one day but that cause there was a weekly discontinued rate in effect then.
finsup 05:09 AM 07-18-2017
Hmm...are they generally a good family? Pay on time etc? If they were, and you can afford it, I probably wouldn't charge them. Kind like a "thank you" for not sending the kids sick But if you were relying on that money, turned away business because of it, have had issues with this family for other reasons, that would change my answer.

If you don-t charge them I would make it clear it's only because it wasn't a scheduled day, just so they don't think this applies any time are sick/out etc.
Unregistered 05:25 AM 07-18-2017
I require payment in advance to schedule days outside of a family's normal schedule. "No space is held without payment."
Like the above poster, any refund would be based on a composite of factors. I would not refund for a family who has repeatedly scheduled and then cancelled at the last minute.

You could also consider charging a percentage, to cover expenses.
Ariana 05:32 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
Hmm...are they generally a good family? Pay on time etc? If they were, and you can afford it, I probably wouldn't charge them. Kind like a "thank you" for not sending the kids sick But if you were relying on that money, turned away business because of it, have had issues with this family for other reasons, that would change my answer.

If you don-t charge them I would make it clear it's only because it wasn't a scheduled day, just so they don't think this applies any time are sick/out etc.
I did not turn away business and had to work today anyway. I also like that they kept both kids home. They are not a difficult family but they aren't exactly perfect either. I just want to do what is fair

I feel like I shouldn't charge just because none of this was incovenient to me AND to encourage then to keep sick kids home!
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 07-18-2017
There is no rule about having to PRE-arrange a specific amount of time in advance so I think this is a prearranged day therefore they should pay.

It shouldn't make any difference if you passed on other kids or not, the sticking point for me would be that you already planned for the kids to be in attendance which is the point of your policy of paying if they cancel.

YOU see the situation as "different" but don't assume they do as well. They may see it as any other prearranged day they cancelled ad therefore owe for.
Ariana 07:24 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is no rule about having to PRE-arrange a specific amount of time in advance so I think this is a prearranged day therefore they should pay.

It shouldn't make any difference if you passed on other kids or not, the sticking point for me would be that you already planned for the kids to be in attendance which is the point of your policy of paying if they cancel.

YOU see the situation as "different" but don't assume they do as well. They may see it as any other prearranged day they cancelled ad therefore owe for.
I agree with this too! I might just see if they pay for it and then it is settled, if they don't I can ask for payment. I hate that this is not in my policies. I literally have nothing about "pay as you go" clients beause I have never taken in "pay as you go" people before and made an exception due to the fact that they gave me a yearly schedule. I was not anticipating adding days as often as it is happening so may need to come up with a policy. I did tell them that in order to add days I need a week notice but would use my discretion if less time than that is given. If they ask last minute I only give them days I am already working so I am not inconvenienced. At this point they are wanting to add extra days nearly every week which is great for my income but I need a set policy in place.

I also agree with the idea "should it matter if it is scheduled a week in advance or the day before". If they scheduled an extra day a week before then I would expect payment. I guess this is my answer. He also could have brought the other kid to me which is what they have done in the past.

Also because they prescheduled their vacations they haven't had to pay for their time off which I feel is a major exception to my rule, meaning they are already getting a pretty big break.
daycare 07:44 AM 07-18-2017
I agree with the two previous posters.

If they have agreed to come and pay for that day, payment is expected if they use it or not.

Being me, if it were a family I really liked, I would let it pass this one last time and then moving forward would require a signed policy that any scheduled days outside of normal contract are required payment regardless of attendance.

I used to do a lot of FF schedules, I loved working with the FF families, just really hated their schedules..lol
daycarediva 11:33 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
Till recently (they moved) I had a family with a similar schedule but he was a paramedic. I only charged the set days they gave me if sick but would also include this to cover any days they added on and canceled for. My way of looking at it was they booked for they day so then I could not accept another child if I were to get a drop in call.

They only time I have not charged for canceled days was a child that was strictly drop in at the time and I had a open space most of the time then (before ratios changed in Ontario). I would only charge if she booked a week and was not here one day but that cause there was a weekly discontinued rate in effect then.
Yes, same here. Once you 'book' a day, I cannot recoup that income loss, so they're charged regardless. I have a drop in contract for my part time families that covers those issues.
CityGarden 01:35 PM 07-18-2017
My uncle is a FF and so in my old neighbor --- both of them paid for a a full-time spot and just did not send the kids if they were off and wanted the time with them.

In my program my day rate is high enough that my families would have more incentive to just enroll in more days or full-time.
Ariana 05:28 PM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
My uncle is a FF and so in my old neighbor --- both of them paid for a a full-time spot and just did not send the kids if they were off and wanted the time with them.

In my program my day rate is high enough that my families would have more incentive to just enroll in more days or full-time.
I really went about this whole thing the wrong way to be honest! I originally signed them on to replace another family and did not think it through too much. If I had it back I would have charged them a minimum of 3 days whether they used them or not. At this point I am going to start looking to replace in September as the weeks when they are only here 1 day is affecting my income. Also due to the fact that the youngest in an infant plus the varying schedule means I can't have another infant on Thursdays and Fridays 'just in case' (my other infant is here Thursday and Friday and we are only allowed two under two) I am losing too much $$ with this.
Jupadia 05:26 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I really went about this whole thing the wrong way to be honest! I originally signed them on to replace another family and did not think it through too much. If I had it back I would have charged them a minimum of 3 days whether they used them or not. At this point I am going to start looking to replace in September as the weeks when they are only here 1 day is affecting my income. Also due to the fact that the youngest in an infant plus the varying schedule means I can't have another infant on Thursdays and Fridays 'just in case' (my other infant is here Thursday and Friday and we are only allowed two under two) I am losing too much $$ with this.
That's how I felt about it as well. I had no problems with the varying schedule while we were allowed 5 plus our own with no age restrictions. But once the new bill passed into law and we could only have 5 with ours and 2 under 2 it made it realy hard till fill the spot in till my varying day kid hit 2. Even after that I was never able to fill the unused days.
Snowmom 06:45 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Why not type up a proposal for them?

Dear Family:
I will be making changes this September to my availability and fees associated. I currently have you on a "pay-as-scheduled" rate scale. This will no longer be available as I need a steady, reliable income.
You are more than welcome to take the full-time, guaranteed childcare spot I have available for Johnny at the weekly rate of $X. This rate is based on enrollment, not attendance, therefore no credit is given for days your child is absent.
I understand if this will not work for your family needs, but I wanted to give you the opportunity to choose. Please let me know ASAP if you will be accepting this full-time offer. If you choose to pass, please put a formal notice in writing. The last date of care available to you at your current rate scale is X.
Thank you,
Provider
Ariana 09:57 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Why not type up a proposal for them?

Dear Family:
I will be making changes this September to my availability and fees associated. I currently have you on a "pay-as-scheduled" rate scale. This will no longer be available as I need a steady, reliable income.
You are more than welcome to take the full-time, guaranteed childcare spot I have available for Johnny at the weekly rate of $X. This rate is based on enrollment, not attendance, therefore no credit is given for days your child is absent.
I understand if this will not work for your family needs, but I wanted to give you the opportunity to choose. Please let me know ASAP if you will be accepting this full-time offer. If you choose to pass, please put a formal notice in writing. The last date of care available to you at your current rate scale is X.
Thank you,
Provider
You read my mind! This is exactly what I was thinking last night. Give them the opportunity to pay for 3 days a week before replacing. I would replace with a part time family anyway so this would benefit both of us. They get to keep their spot and I don't have to start a new family.
Ariana 09:58 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
That's how I felt about it as well. I had no problems with the varying schedule while we were allowed 5 plus our own with no age restrictions. But once the new bill passed into law and we could only have 5 with ours and 2 under 2 it made it realy hard till fill the spot in till my varying day kid hit 2. Even after that I was never able to fill the unused days.
Exactly and this kid doesn't turn 2 until February!! My other infant turns 2 in
December so both a long way off.
Reply Up