Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gluten and Dairy Free Home and on the Food Program? Possible?
SunflowerMama 07:28 AM 07-18-2017
About 6 months ago one of our daughters, after years of constant belly pain and anxiety, was put on a GF and dairy free diet. So she didn't feel left out we all switched and have actually felt so much better.
I'm currently on the food program and the only items I buy that contain gluten or milk are for the dcks. I haven't yet taken a close look at the food choices for each food group and if I could use substitutes but wondered if anyone has a GF and DF home and still is compliant with the food program.
daycare 07:41 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
About 6 months ago one of our daughters, after years of constant belly pain and anxiety, was put on a GF and dairy free diet. So she didn't feel left out we all switched and have actually felt so much better.
I'm currently on the food program and the only items I buy that contain gluten or milk are for the dcks. I haven't yet taken a close look at the food choices for each food group and if I could use substitutes but wondered if anyone has a GF and DF home and still is compliant with the food program.
I do not know a lot about GF diets, but I am 100% dairy free and try to as close to 100% process free. My whole family is process free as much as possible, but the rest of them eat all meats and I eat zero meat.

I basically stick to what ever grows out of the ground or on trees.

I don't eat rice, but I eat just about everything else. I just hate rice that's why I don't eat it.

would a diet like mine support GF??
SunflowerMama 08:11 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I do not know a lot about GF diets, but I am 100% dairy free and try to as close to 100% process free. My whole family is process free as much as possible, but the rest of them eat all meats and I eat zero meat.

I basically stick to what ever grows out of the ground or on trees.

I don't eat rice, but I eat just about everything else. I just hate rice that's why I don't eat it.

would a diet like mine support GF??
This is all very new to us but if you are pretty much "out of the ground or off a tree" it would definitely support GF. We stick to lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, rice, beans, almond milk and a few GF pastas.
hwichlaz 08:23 AM 07-18-2017
If the parents are okay with it, you can certainly go DF GF and meet requirements. The only acceptable milk substitute is soy milk that meets the list of requirements. That's only one brand where I live. It's going to depend on what's available where you are. But there are plenty of gluten free whole grains, and you can do without the dairy. BUT...it means no using cheese or yogurt as a meat alternate, which can get expensive.
daycare 08:46 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
If the parents are okay with it, you can certainly go DF GF and meet requirements. The only acceptable milk substitute is soy milk that meets the list of requirements. That's only one brand where I live. It's going to depend on what's available where you are. But there are plenty of gluten free whole grains, and you can do without the dairy. BUT...it means no using cheese or yogurt as a meat alternate, which can get expensive.
I love nut butters and I make my own. it is a great alternative to dairy. I make a sun butter, coconut shake daily. I add ice to it and blend it's like a dessert, only its super healthy. My husband gets fresh made coconut milk for a local organic market, its so yummy.

also instead of cheese and yogurt you can do hummus, I also make my own and it's so yummy. I love avocado, hummus and nut butters for dipping sauces.
hwichlaz 08:59 AM 07-18-2017
I love nut butters and I make my own. it is a great alternative to dairy. I make a sun butter, coconut shake daily. I add ice to it and blend it's like a dessert, only its super healthy. My husband gets fresh made coconut milk for a local organic market, its so yummy.

also instead of cheese and yogurt you can do hummus, I also make my own and it's so yummy. I love avocado, hummus and nut butters for dipping sauces.
nuts and nut butters are currently only a meat alternate all by themselves for snacks. But hummus is mostly beans so that would certainly count. Avacado is not a meat alternate.
daycare 09:05 AM 07-18-2017
nuts and nut butters are currently only a meat alternate all by themselves for snacks. But hummus is mostly beans so that would certainly count. Avacado is not a meat alternate.
sorry I didn't mean as a form of meat sub, I just was typing out loud of what I like to eat that is both DF and GF.
Leigh 09:40 AM 07-18-2017
This may vary from sponsor to sponsor, but I am now required to have a parental statement on file with my sponsor to serve soy milk. No doctor's note necessary, but parents have to request soy. Silk, 8th Continent, and Great Value all meet requirements these days, I believe.
SunflowerMama 11:09 AM 07-18-2017
These are all great suggestions! Currently we do almond milk (and cow's milk for my one nut allergy) but could switch to soy if we have to for the program. We love nut butters, hummus, avocados and healthy smoothies so if we can just get the ok on our milk alternative and I think we can easily eliminate dairy and we've been pretty GF with the kids for a while. Thanks!!
MissAnn 11:45 AM 07-18-2017
I haven't read the other comments, so I hope I'm not duplicating them. I am gluten free after gluten caused my gallbladder to go gangrene. I do serve wheat bread, but not to myself. I had a gluten free kid once and I served corn tortillas, rice and gluten free noodles. I still serve them.

A lifesaver when I was learning the ropes....an app called ShopWell. You add in your allergies then scan barcodes. A red hand pops up,when you scan a gluten item.

I don't even tell the parents I am serving gluten free. I serve normal food.....and healthy. The only item I buy that is made to be gluten free is the noodles.....elbow macaroni.
SunflowerMama 12:13 PM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

A lifesaver when I was learning the ropes....an app called ShopWell. You add in your allergies then scan barcodes. A red hand pops up,when you scan a gluten item.

I don't even tell the parents I am serving gluten free. I serve normal food.....and healthy. The only item I buy that is made to be gluten free is the noodles.....elbow macaroni.
I'll definitely be getting that app!! Would make things super easy when shopping. I agree I'm just going to cut out foods that just aren't healthy and go with whole foods and a few GF pastas and pretzels.
e.j. 12:20 PM 07-18-2017

Daycare, can I ask how you make your shake? Is is just sunbutter and coconut milk? My dd's food allergies seem to be increasing by the day so I'm always looking for things she can eat. So far, coconut milk and sun butter are still on that list and it sounds like something she'd like.
daycare 12:28 PM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Daycare, can I ask how you make your shake? Is is just sunbutter and coconut milk? My dd's food allergies seem to be increasing by the day so I'm always looking for things she can eat. So far, coconut milk and sun butter are still on that list and it sounds like something she'd like.
lol let me ask my husband what all the ingredients are. he is the one that makes it for me...lol
e.j. 01:56 PM 07-18-2017
lol let me ask my husband what all the ingredients are. he is the one that makes it for me...lol
It tastes like a dessert, is healthy for you and your husband makes it for you? Sounds like the perfect recipe!
daycare 05:00 AM 07-19-2017
It tastes like a dessert, is healthy for you and your husband makes it for you? Sounds like the perfect recipe!
Lol yeah I have to admit it, he's quiet good in the kitchen.

So here's the ingredients
Peanut butter, or some kind of nut butter. I like almond best
Coconut milk or cream
I don't drink processed milks but he does and he adds almond milk to his
1 tea spoon of vanilla
1 tiny square of 100% dark chocolate. Has to be 100% because it's zero sugar.
Ice.

Then blend it up. I can't eat ice cream but that's what it looks like and I call it my ice cream...
e.j. 05:11 AM 07-19-2017
Thank you so much! I'll have to make some for her tonight. She doesn't get to have many treats and this recipe sounds like it should be really good.
LysesKids 05:23 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
These are all great suggestions! Currently we do almond milk (and cow's milk for my one nut allergy) but could switch to soy if we have to for the program. We love nut butters, hummus, avocados and healthy smoothies so if we can just get the ok on our milk alternative and I think we can easily eliminate dairy and we've been pretty GF with the kids for a while. Thanks!!
I dropped the FP because I can't serve milk or Soy milk to 2 of my babies; They drink Almond milk due to Dr confirmed allergies (both BF until 12 months). Of course we are gluten free too mainly because of my Hashimoto Thyroid issues.
daycare 05:23 AM 07-19-2017
Thank you so much! I'll have to make some for her tonight. She doesn't get to have many treats and this recipe sounds like it should be really good.
awe poor kid. I an relate. I can't have dairy so i miss out on most things that are desserts or snack like.
My husband said to just experiment with it until it is to your liking. he said sometimes he puts coffee in it for me since I love it so much to give me a boost throughout the day. or decaf at night. the flavor of it is so yummy.
midaycare 05:39 AM 07-19-2017
I serve a lot of GF because I eat GF. I also have a DF kid. I have a vegan, too.

Here is what works, according to my Food Program rep. DF kid needs doctor note. GF is not an issue, as long as it still fits guidelines. I find it's really easy to cook GF, so not an issue. Of course, I've been eating this way for years.

Vegan kid still has to be offered normal meal, he is old enough to refuse meat. I make most of my meals with him in mind. No worries, the kid doesn't go hungry...between us, when he refuses the meat (he's 4, so old enough to), I serve him a vegan alternative. It's not food plan appropriate, but I'm still offering him all the components. He's just refusing certain portions.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 07-19-2017
Lol yeah I have to admit it, he's quiet good in the kitchen.

So here's the ingredients
Peanut butter, or some kind of nut butter. I like almond best
Coconut milk or cream
I don't drink processed milks but he does and he adds almond milk to his
1 tea spoon of vanilla
1 tiny square of 100% dark chocolate. Has to be 100% because it's zero sugar.
Ice.

Then blend it up. I can't eat ice cream but that's what it looks like and I call it my ice cream...
What brand of chocolate are you buying that is sugar free?

I'm a dark chocolate lover and most the ones I've come across are loaded with carbs and/or sugars.... some say "no sugar added" but I've always been told it's chocolate once sugar is added or the cacao butter is left remaining.

I'd love to find one that really is sugar or carb free.
daycare 06:57 AM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What brand of chocolate are you buying that is sugar free?

I'm a dark chocolate lover and most the ones I've come across are loaded with carbs and/or sugars.... some say "no sugar added" but I've always been told it's chocolate once sugar is added or the cacao butter is left remaining.

I'd love to find one that really is sugar or carb free.
so I just looked in my fridge thinking I would take a pic of it, but the outside sleeve is missing, its sitting in it's foil.

We buy it from trader joes. it is really 100% dark chocolate. I will say if you it is solo it taste horrific. It has to pair with something, it is a new product for them.

I am going grocery shopping tonight, I will buy another one and take a pic of it...
daycare 06:59 AM 07-19-2017
so I just looked in my fridge thinking I would take a pic of it, but the outside sleeve is missing, its sitting in it's foil.

We buy it from trader joes. it is really 100% dark chocolate. I will say if you it is solo it taste horrific. It has to pair with something, it is a new product for them.

I am going grocery shopping tonight, I will buy another one and take a pic of it...
I cant use this one, but my husband uses it when he cant find the other. it still has carbs and sugar alcohol in it, but it is one of the better ones. we also get it at trader joes, but i found it on amazon trying to find the other one.

https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Lite-C...ate+trader+joe
hwichlaz 10:08 AM 07-19-2017
it sounds like baking chocolate...you can get it in Baker's brand at the grocery store.
daycare 10:20 AM 07-19-2017
it sounds like baking chocolate...you can get it in Baker's brand at the grocery store.
its not a baking chocolate... it is an actual bar....

hwichlaz 11:45 AM 07-19-2017
its not a baking chocolate... it is an actual bar....
baking chocolate IS a bar. Cocoa is a powder.
Attached: 380a8b3e-904b-437c-9e9b-fa5758bddee5_1.e0c82e4c8d8d7694e99c1a30681e2f08.jpeg (35.1 KB) 
e.j. 12:18 PM 07-19-2017
awe poor kid. I an relate. I can't have dairy so i miss out on most things that are desserts or snack like.
My husband said to just experiment with it until it is to your liking. he said sometimes he puts coffee in it for me since I love it so much to give me a boost throughout the day. or decaf at night. the flavor of it is so yummy.
She's 23 so not a kid at this point but I think it's almost worse than if she were a little kid. It's hard to give up foods you love and have eaten all your life but I think the worst is the impact on her social life. Her boyfriend and friends love to eat out and there are very few places she can go around here that offer things she can eat. It's tough to watch everyone down a pizza or burger while you sip on water. She could definitely have it worse but it hasn't been easy for her as more and more foods shift to the "Do not eat list".

Thanks, again, for the recipe. I'm hoping she enjoys it as much as you do! (Sorry Sunflower Mama! Don't mean to highjack your thread!)
daycare 01:59 PM 07-19-2017
She's 23 so not a kid at this point but I think it's almost worse than if she were a little kid. It's hard to give up foods you love and have eaten all your life but I think the worst is the impact on her social life. Her boyfriend and friends love to eat out and there are very few places she can go around here that offer things she can eat. It's tough to watch everyone down a pizza or burger while you sip on water. She could definitely have it worse but it hasn't been easy for her as more and more foods shift to the "Do not eat list".

Thanks, again, for the recipe. I'm hoping she enjoys it as much as you do! (Sorry Sunflower Mama! Don't mean to highjack your thread!)
I can so so so relate. With no dairy or meats of any kind and almost zero processed foods, I don't eat out very often. If I do, I have learned to stick to salads and as embarrassing as it is for my family I bring my own dressing. Yeah right out of my purse. Lol.
e.j. 03:04 PM 07-19-2017
I can so so so relate. With no dairy or meats of any kind and almost zero processed foods, I don't eat out very often. If I do, I have learned to stick to salads and as embarrassing as it is for my family I bring my own dressing. Yeah right out of my purse. Lol.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. You have to do what you have to do, right?! They should try living with food allergies to see how it feels!
daycare 04:13 PM 07-19-2017
Here it is. It's $2.99. At Trader Joe's
Attached: 13.jpg (105.4 KB) 14.jpg (89.4 KB) 
daycare 04:23 PM 07-19-2017
if you cant read the information on the back

150 calories
14g total fat
cholesterol 0
sodium 0
total carbs 2g
fiber 4g
total sugar 0, includes 0g added sugar
protein 3g

ingredients:
vegan, may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, soya, milk, wheat and sesame seeds
Leigh 06:35 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I dropped the FP because I can't serve milk or Soy milk to 2 of my babies; They drink Almond milk due to Dr confirmed allergies (both BF until 12 months). Of course we are gluten free too mainly because of my Hashimoto Thyroid issues.
Did you try submitting a doctor's note? My FP has a form for special diets, and if a doctor orders it, they must accept it. For example, it will say "no dairy milk, no soy milk, substitute Rice Milk"
e.j. 09:08 PM 07-19-2017
ingredients:
vegan, may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, soya, milk, wheat and sesame seeds
Oh, no! Dd is allergic to peanuts, soy, milk, wheat and sesame. She does have some Enjoy Life chocolate morsels. I may try throwing a bunch of those in with the other shake ingredients to see if that works instead. Does the chocolate you use melt into the other ingredients to make a smooth texture or do you end up with little pieces of chocolate in the shake?
daycare 09:24 PM 07-19-2017
Oh no poor girl.
So he uses it to create the texture of like chips. He said its like the chips in mint and chip ice cream, except he's putting her very small amount. I don't consume dairy, but this has not made me sick. But if you have nut allergies then I would stick to what your used to.

I feel for your allergy struggles.
e.j. 05:11 AM 07-20-2017
Thanks, Daycare! The morsels may work, then. I'll give them a try.

She was told last week to stop eating lettuce, green beans, broccoli, white potatoes, tomatoes, avocado, banana and oregano. Those have been staples in her diet because of her many other food allergies. She jokingly said it wouldn't be long before she'd have to be fed intravenously. I'm afraid she might be right!
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 07-20-2017
Here it is. It's $2.99. At Trader Joe's
Oh my goodness! That looks amazing!
I am texting a friend right now.....he works near a Trader Joe's and makes a few stops by request so I am having him pick me up a couple of those! I dark chocolate!!
daycare 06:39 AM 07-20-2017
Thanks, Daycare! The morsels may work, then. I'll give them a try.

She was told last week to stop eating lettuce, green beans, broccoli, white potatoes, tomatoes, avocado, banana and oregano. Those have been staples in her diet because of her many other food allergies. She jokingly said it wouldn't be long before she'd have to be fed intravenously. I'm afraid she might be right!
Oh my. That's horrible. My heart aches for you. I really hope things improve for her.
daycare 06:41 AM 07-20-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh my goodness! That looks amazing!
I am texting a friend right now.....he works near a Trader Joe's and makes a few stops by request so I am having him pick me up a couple of those! I dark chocolate!!
My husband loves it. I like it.
I don't like much candies but not sure you can consider this a candy.
To me it taste pretty bad. Lol. But in a smoothie it gives a great texture.
Hope you can find it.
Tags:dairy free, food program, gluten free
Reply Up