Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>A is for Apple!
nanglgrl 12:04 PM 09-11-2013
I noticed that a lot of the daycare providers on here are doing an apple theme this month. Since I "liked" so many of your pages on Facebook I get to see so many cool ideas!
I thought this would be a great place to post what we're doing with this theme. I've seen so many ideas from some of you that my list of "to do's this month is LONG (but in a good way!).
All of my daycare kids are 3 and under and I focus more on the process than the product. I don't like ideas that have me doing 90% of the work just so they can take a parent pleaser home.

1. We are dissecting apples and we are going to be putting apples together (I will post a picture when the clay dries).
2. We are making mini apple pies.
3. We are trying 4 different kinds of apples and charting everyone's favorite kind.
4. I made a post in our basement into a tree. I attached clothespins to the branches so I can change the leaves throughout the year. Right now it's an apple tree and the kids can climb up and pick apples.
5. There are many more things we are doing but I can't think of them off of the top of my head.
Here is a picture of the craft we did today. This is my craft, the children's didn't look like this. The leaves and stem were wherever they wanted to put them and most of them didn't cover the plate in red. They really loved using their fingers as worms though.
nanglgrl 12:06 PM 09-11-2013
Here is our apple with a worm:
Attached: image.jpg (66.1 KB) 
Brooksie 12:12 PM 09-11-2013
http://3dinosaurs.com/wordpress/inde...tivities-pack/

I went through here and picked out a lot of printables then laminated them to re use. There's 'whats the difference' 'matching games' ' pre writing practices' all of these I have laminated and have the kids practice with dry erase markers. I'm not sending much home when it comes to the letter of the week. We did a paper plate collage that I cut red squares, green rectangles and then we did color, and shape recognition and put the paper on the plates to make apples.
littleblossoms 01:14 PM 09-11-2013
I cut a shape of apple on card board, punch hole and the kids lace it.

Also i asked all the parents to bring an apple - we did apple stamping.

The childrn color a apple colori g page i print.

They are four kids under 2
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:08 PM 09-11-2013
I will be starting my apples next week. Goes with the Scholastic Big World.
nanglgrl 06:47 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I will be starting my apples next week. Goes with the Scholastic Big World.
We're doing Scholastic also!
Here is the apple tree I made out of a post in the basement:
Attached: image.jpg (111.4 KB) 
LoraJenkins 05:07 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
We're doing Scholastic also!
Here is the apple tree I made out of a post in the basement:
LOVE IT!!!!!!
LoraJenkins 05:08 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Here is our apple with a worm:
Great idea! Thank you for sharing!
nanglgrl 02:41 PM 09-12-2013
I made apples out of air dry clay and then painted them. The kids can deconstruct and construct the apples as all of the pieces are removable. We also used them to learn colors and sizes. I found the idea online.
Attached: image.jpg (107.9 KB) 
MsLaura529 11:00 AM 09-13-2013
LOVE the apple tree idea - that's awesome! We just did apples ... the kids had fun.

We made ripped-paper apples on paper plates and did apple stamping (they watched me cut the apples open and we talked about the seeds inside). We tasted 4 different kinds of apples and talked about sweet and sour.

I made up a little song for stretching our bodies out before circle time:
I see apples in a tree.
How many apples do I see?
(Count to 10 while stretching your arms up high like you're picking apples)
I see apples on the ground.
How many apples have I found?
(Count to 10 while stretching down to your toes, like you're picking them up off the ground)
I see apples in front of me?
How many apples should I eat?
(Count to 10 while moving your hands to your mouth)

They also liked the 5 Little Apples fingerplay.
nanglgrl 11:18 AM 09-13-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
LOVE the apple tree idea - that's awesome! We just did apples ... the kids had fun.

We made ripped-paper apples on paper plates and did apple stamping (they watched me cut the apples open and we talked about the seeds inside). We tasted 4 different kinds of apples and talked about sweet and sour.

I made up a little song for stretching our bodies out before circle time:
I see apples in a tree.
How many apples do I see?
(Count to 10 while stretching your arms up high like you're picking apples)
I see apples on the ground.
How many apples have I found?
(Count to 10 while stretching down to your toes, like you're picking them up off the ground)
I see apples in front of me?
How many apples should I eat?
(Count to 10 while moving your hands to your mouth)

They also liked the 5 Little Apples fingerplay.
I love this and am definitely going to use it Monday!
Tags:alphabet
Reply Up