Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Children's Books
Abigail 03:49 PM 08-14-2010
Do you keep track of your children books? I have a list I've typed up in a spreadsheet that has 1. Title of the Book 2. Author(s) 3. Copyright Date 4. ISBN and 5. Style (Hardcover, Pop Up, Cardboard, etc)

I was wondering if I'm wasting my time by keeping my list? I mainly use it to look for more books at thrift shops and rummages sales so I don't get duplicates. I only buy books that look brand-new, so I am always flipping page by page to make sure their is no writing on them, that the binding is good, that it wasn't a pre-mailed book with a mailing label on the back, etc. Most of my books cost less than .50 each, so I'm very happy with the great deals! So far I have around 50 books and plan on rotating them.

How many books do you have out at one time? Do you rotate them monthly and only bring out season books during the season? I have about 5 Christmas books which brings up that question.
kitkat 07:29 PM 08-14-2010
I have way, way, WAY too many books! I do separate board books from paperback books when they are out on the shelf and have half of them stored in a bin. I'm terrible at rotating them on a regular basis, but they have so many to read, that it takes awhile to get through even half that I do have out. When I get tired of reading the same ones, then I usually rotate them. As far as season books, I don't separate them, but I do make sure to have them out at the right times. To me, a good book is always fun to read, even if it's summer time and the book is about winter.

I made a list this school year of some of the non-board books, but only the ones that are on the Accelerated Reader list. The only reason I even did the list was so I could have a handy reference for DS to check what level the books were at.
Abigail 10:25 PM 08-14-2010
Kitkat, have you ever done a "library" option for parents where you let children pick out 1, 2, or 3 books or something to "check out" over the weekend? I am interested in doing this from the beginning to be more appealing when they choose a child care home. I thought I could hang up a sheet for the name of the book, date out, date in (to be filled in after the book is returned) Parent signature (to be signed at check out) and a provider initials (to be signed when returned). Does anyone think this is a good idea?

If I do this from the start, then I can have a place in my contract about our daycare library option and that each book lost will need to be replaced at $X.XX (current value OR flat dollar amount) if it is lost or never returned. I guess I wouldn't know about doing a late fee, but I would also have a statement that 2 or 3 books per family is the limit and they must return the current ones before checking out additonal ones. I might also have to add something about minor damage happens, but major damage including, but not limited to: missing pages, marked up pages, non-readable pages, or water damage will need to be replaced at $X.XX (again, current value OR flat dollar amount).

This could even be a day by day thing just so parents don't have to have a huge collection of books at home or make extra trips to the library as often and have more quality family time at home together. What do you think????
sahm1225 08:24 AM 08-15-2010
I think the idea of doing a library is cute. I like the flat fee for replacing the book and I dont think you should do a late fee. I agree that that will be a nice thing to set you apart when you first start.

I have a walk in closet that I set up as our 'library' for the kids. The books stay here but they are able to check out (meaning take out of the closet/library) and read for the day, but it has to be returned at the end of the day. I am not as organized as you though (with having a checklist to track) and honestly once it would leave my house I would never remember that it left.

So ---- It would honestly depends on the families/parents. Alot of parents can barely remember to bring back paperwork that needs to be signed. Some parents might end up taking the books home and losing them and then just buying them from you, so in their eyes it might be more a hassle..
Abigail 09:57 AM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by sahm1225:

So ---- It would honestly depends on the families/parents. Alot of parents can barely remember to bring back paperwork that needs to be signed. Some parents might end up taking the books home and losing them and then just buying them from you, so in their eyes it might be more a hassle..
So limited the checkout limit Per Family will keep the amount of books down they need to remember. Maybe adding if books have to continually be purchased (choose a number, like the third incident) then disqualify the family from the lending library program I offer?

I know not all parents are honest so if I have the "three chances before disqualifying a family" rule, then besides eliminating the so-called-hassle of remembering to bring the books back....it may stop them from actually just saying they lost it because my fee per book lost/never returned would be less than purchasing the book ($3 or something low) so they might want to just "lose it" instead of buy it from the store. It would be cheaper for them to pay my lost fee for the book if they really liked it than to actually buy it from the store is what I'm thinking could happen. What do you think about this in the policy too?
sahm1225 02:13 PM 08-15-2010
I would probably just put a comment along the lines of you having the right to discontinue if more than 3 lost or damaged books. I would say about $5 per book is reasonable. That way since you bought them for cheaper you would make a small profit and it wouldnt be too cheap where they would just keep it - like you had mentioned.

If for some reason it doesnt work out or if it turns out to be too much of a hassle, then you could always cancel/discontinue the program.
kitkat 05:35 PM 08-15-2010
I did let a dcg take a book home over the weekend once. When they came back on Monday they forgot the book and didn't even read it over the weekend. I have thought about letting books get checked out, but I don't trust the kids to take them home & return it in good condition. I have a feeling it would get tossed aside more than read. If I had a family that had very limited access to books, then I'd definitely rethink that and probably let one book go home at a time, but only if the parents allowed it.

If you do a library check out, definitely limited the number of books and make sure the policies are spelled out in your handbook. I like the idea of a flat replacement fee. Not only does the book need to get replaced, but think of the time it'll take you to drive around to get it or find it online.
Abigail 06:06 PM 08-15-2010
Originally Posted by kitkat:

If you do a library check out, definitely limited the number of books and make sure the policies are spelled out in your handbook. I like the idea of a flat replacement fee. Not only does the book need to get replaced, but think of the time it'll take you to drive around to get it or find it online.
I think if I have a section in my handbook about the Lending Library, I would do it every Friday only to cut back on the other days of the week and to prevent kids standing around forever when their parents are here to pick them up everyday. Is 2 books a good limit Per Family? I really don't think I will ever get a family of three children since I am not offering siblings discounts, so I think a 2 book checkout limit Friday-Monday would be great. The check out board would be on the wall near the entrance, so my form of a "late fee" that doesn't exist is that their name would be on the check-out board until they return it. Do you think I would ever have a problem of them just not returning it? It is meant for weekend checkout, so what should I write in the handbook about extended checkouts?

If the family has three damaged books, then I would have the right to end the lending library with that family. If a book was damaged, I would probably not waste my time getting that exact same book, I would just get whatever I find that is in fantastic condition at a garage sale or thrift shop, so I really wouldn't be out any money or any inconvenience. I obviously would have certain books that I wouldn't let the kids check out and those would be the ones I love, LOL.
Tags:books
Reply Up