Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sign In/Out Changes - What Do You Use?
Baby Beluga 04:28 PM 01-06-2017
Currently the children are signed in and out by myself. I mark the date, who dropped off, the time, etc. The same for pick up. For legal reasons, I know it is better to have the parents sign in/out which is why I am changing this process.

I would rather not use paper...but will if I can't find an acceptable (and not costly) electronic version of this.

My question is, what is your sign in/out process? I was considering getting a tablet for the classroom and doing brightwheel but I am unsure if brightwheel has an option for parents to sign in/out. I've played around with it a little bit, but only from a laptop and I know I can't view all the features without installing the app.

If brightwheel doesn't have this option, is there another electronic version that does? Or is good 'ol paper the best way to go?
Unregistered 03:30 AM 01-07-2017
I use a spiral notebook. Cheap and lasts a long time. Parents do the signing in/out. I don't want my iPad out and being used by parents.

I've used brightwheel at a Montessori preschool I worked at but we didn't use it for check-in/out.
Josiegirl 03:41 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I use a spiral notebook. Cheap and lasts a long time. Parents do the signing in/out. I don't want my iPad out and being used by parents.

I've used brightwheel at a Montessori preschool I worked at but we didn't use it for check-in/out.
A separate notebook for each parent for privacy?

Baby Beluga, right now I do the same thing, signing them in/out myself, but can't or won't do the electronic version. There is one laptop in my house and it's MINE, ALL MINE.
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 01-07-2017
Have tou looked into this?
https://cakechildcare.com/cms/view/home

Look under the Learning Resources tab and then scroll down to the video about using the sign in/out kiosk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYgcVArHSo
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 01-07-2017
I use an Excel spread sheet with all children listed on one sheet. Each sheet is a full week

Parents sign the time in and the time out and provide a full signature each time.
Baby Beluga 07:08 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
A separate notebook for each parent for privacy?

Baby Beluga, right now I do the same thing, signing them in/out myself, but can't or won't do the electronic version. There is one laptop in my house and it's MINE, ALL MINE.
Oh yes. I'm not sharing any personal devices. No way I had planned on purchasing a new tablet just for the purpose of parents signing in/out.

Does anyone know the legality of using brightwheel or another app for sign in/out purposes? Is the administrator able to go back and change that info?

DH works in IT and offered (and would prefer) for him to write a code/app (not sure of the proper term here) where the parents put in a 4 number code and it brings up their child's info. The parent can then sign in/out their child and when they do a camera will snap a pic of whoever dropped off/picked up. It's a great idea, but I feel bad having him do something like this in addition to his reg job. Also right now we have daily sheets that I type up and store on our local server at home. I print them off daily, hand to parents at pick up and the sheets are also saved on our server. I would like to get away from handing out paper because ink is expensive. I am buying ink monthly now

This brought me to brightwheel. I could do the daily sheets on brightwheel, and the sign in/out process too (if it's a possibility) but I was wondering if I ever needed to prove when a child was here if someone could come back and say "you have access to brightwheel and could have changed the info yourself." Whereas with paper sign in/out, I can't forge a parents signature.

Hope my rambling makes sense
Baby Beluga 07:10 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Have tou looked into this?
https://cakechildcare.com/cms/view/home

Look under the Learning Resources tab and then scroll down to the video about using the sign in/out kiosk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYgcVArHSo
I have not, thank you for sharing!
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 01-07-2017
All of these have digital sign in/out options

http://virtuclock.com

https://www.kinderlime.com

http://www.tadpoles.com
Pandaluver21 09:35 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Oh yes. I'm not sharing any personal devices. No way I had planned on purchasing a new tablet just for the purpose of parents signing in/out.

Does anyone know the legality of using brightwheel or another app for sign in/out purposes? Is the administrator able to go back and change that info?

DH works in IT and offered (and would prefer) for him to write a code/app (not sure of the proper term here) where the parents put in a 4 number code and it brings up their child's info. The parent can then sign in/out their child and when they do a camera will snap a pic of whoever dropped off/picked up. It's a great idea, but I feel bad having him do something like this in addition to his reg job. Also right now we have daily sheets that I type up and store on our local server at home. I print them off daily, hand to parents at pick up and the sheets are also saved on our server. I would like to get away from handing out paper because ink is expensive. I am buying ink monthly now

This brought me to brightwheel. I could do the daily sheets on brightwheel, and the sign in/out process too (if it's a possibility) but I was wondering if I ever needed to prove when a child was here if someone could come back and say "you have access to brightwheel and could have changed the info yourself." Whereas with paper sign in/out, I can't forge a parents signature.

Hope my rambling makes sense
Each child has their own sheet, consisting of one months worth of sign in/out on each side. The parent writes the time in/out and signs next to it each time. Fast and easy for them to do.
I'm not sure if rules change based on state, but here you have to have a full parent signature. Those that use brightwheel just print out a sheet at the end of the month and have parents sign it. I have thought about doing this, but haven't set it up yet.
Josiegirl 10:38 AM 01-07-2017
I use an Excel spread sheet with all children listed on one sheet. Each sheet is a full week

Parents sign the time in and the time out and provide a full signature each time.

Am I missing something or do all the parents see everyone else's info?
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 01-07-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Am I missing something or do all the parents see everyone else's info?
Nope you aren't missing anything.
The names of my kiddos aren't exactly confidential...
(at least not to those who are currently attending)

Most everyone was referred by someone else already attending and I live in a smaller community so these families and kids all attend the same functions, churches and schools together regularly.

All of my families are full day families so they're all dropping off and/or picking up at the same times anyways.
Josiegirl 11:56 AM 01-07-2017
Nope you aren't missing anything.
The names of my kiddos aren't exactly confidential...
(at least not to those who are currently attending)

Most everyone was referred by someone else already attending and I live in a smaller community so these families and kids all attend the same functions, churches and schools together regularly.

All of my families are full day families so they're all dropping off and/or picking up at the same times anyways.
That's what I was hoping. Everybody is always talking about privacy but my dcps mostly know each other, and at the least know names of everybody else and their kids. Trying to make this info private seems silly to me. I mean, we've had parties together.
Thanks.
Baby Beluga 12:00 PM 01-07-2017
All of these have digital sign in/out options

http://virtuclock.com

https://www.kinderlime.com

http://www.tadpoles.com
Thank you! I will look into these as well.

Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Each child has their own sheet, consisting of one months worth of sign in/out on each side. The parent writes the time in/out and signs next to it each time. Fast and easy for them to do.
I'm not sure if rules change based on state, but here you have to have a full parent signature. Those that use brightwheel just print out a sheet at the end of the month and have parents sign it. I have thought about doing this, but haven't set it up yet.
I didn't even think of this. Thank you.
daycare 12:10 PM 01-07-2017
I use a program called childcare manager. It is not an online program, but it works for me.

I have it installed on my windows desktop and then I have a tablet that is used as the clock in and out system. The parents all have a pin they use to clock their child in and out. I love it.

It even has an option that I have set up that automatically charges late fees. I can run the late fee report any time I want.

it was a little expensive to set up, but it has been pretty good since. I have had it for about a year.
Jazzii 06:27 PM 01-07-2017

This is what we do to, children's names in alphabetical order. That get moved onto a state sheet that we submit to our licensor, that pair had more info, like DOB and age
Meeko 07:18 PM 01-07-2017
I make a booklet each month. Each family has it's own page in alphabetical order. Parents sign in and out and initial on the days they are here. (We are not allowed to do it. Regs say parents MUST do it themselves) Simple, but works for me. I can see at a glance what days during the month they were here. I can add notes/reminders if I want.
Attached: unnamed.jpg (25.9 KB) unnamed (1).jpg (27.5 KB) 
Second Home 06:52 AM 01-09-2017
I must have a daily sign in/out sheet (per regs). So I made up a sheet . Each side has 2 months on it and there is one sheet for each child .

I write in the time and parents sign . All late pick ups ( or when kids don't get off the bus and I have no notice beforehand ) are written in red , that way any irregularities are easy to find later if I need to .
Tags:sign in, sign out
Reply Up