Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment
tenderhearts 12:08 PM 01-09-2017
Ugh the payment question. In my contract it says payment is due Monday morning. So I have a family that started with me in September, they have "forgotten" to leave the check in the morning on a few occasions now at least 3 times maybe more. When they drop off there is usually others so I do you realize it until later becausenal, other families place it on the entry way table. This mom already has questioned if they have to pay for day when their child is sick and although they don't argue it's frustrating as it all in my contract. And other things similar with the 2 week notice.. so toDay no check and I really want to give them a formal letter telling them that as per contract payment is due Monday mornings therefor next payment is not received at this time a late fee will be assessed. Would you leave it at that or am I being too nit picky of they drop it off in the evening at pickup?

I also get the guilt thing going on that she brings treatsome the holidays and gave me gift at Christmas. Am I wrong? I just feel this family is trying g to get out of stuff. She had a day off and didn't give me quite 2 weeks a couple days shy and I said this time I'll do it but next time they would have to pay for it and she didn't say anything goes like OK sorry or thank you she didn't say a word. Anyways am I right doing it?
Heart12 12:26 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Ugh the payment question. In my contract it says payment is due Monday morning. So I have a family that started with me in September, they have "forgotten" to leave the check in the morning on a few occasions now at least 3 times maybe more. When they drop off there is usually others so I do you realize it until later becausenal, other families place it on the entry way table. This mom already has questioned if they have to pay for day when their child is sick and although they don't argue it's frustrating as it all in my contract. And other things similar with the 2 week notice.. so toDay no check and I really want to give them a formal letter telling them that as per contract payment is due Monday mornings therefor next payment is not received at this time a late fee will be assessed. Would you leave it at that or am I being too nit picky of they drop it off in the evening at pickup?

I also get the guilt thing going on that she brings treatsome the holidays and gave me gift at Christmas. Am I wrong? I just feel this family is trying g to get out of stuff. She had a day off and didn't give me quite 2 weeks a couple days shy and I said this time I'll do it but next time they would have to pay for it and she didn't say anything goes like OK sorry or thank you she didn't say a word. Anyways am I right doing it?
As hard as it is (I am going through this now) you HAVE to stand firm on your policies. Try not to let these parents make you feel guilty. Once you give them a "free pass" they will continue to ask for favors! Im dealing with this now from one of my current DCF.
tenderhearts 12:32 PM 01-09-2017
Thanks that's exactly what I have seen. My issue with this family is that from the beginning they would ask me questions about payment or days off and I would always tell them it is in the contract and it frustrates me because either she is trying to see if I'll bend or they didn't read the contract. What would you say in the letter? just payment is due the Monday mornings and this is to inform you that next time you will be charged the late fee? as much as I know it doesn't help I always want to be a smart *** as say how would you like it if YOUR paycheck wasn't ready when you thought but I wouldn't do that. lol
TXhomedaycare 12:36 PM 01-09-2017

This family is taking advantage of you (your being too nice. If payment is not received by Monday morning AM than by Monday evening PM hand them a $10 late fee notice and have them include the amount in with the fee for the week. If you do it once they will all the sudden remember to pay in the morning If they are paying their weekly rate upfront (before care) there should be no issues with if the payment being based on attendance. If I had a family pay me less than I am owed I would not accept their child until I received the full amount I am owed. They understood all these terms when they enrolled and they are just testing you to see if they have to follow your rules or not. I receive gifts from parents and they sometimes send party items but I can't pay my bills with those things just like they can't so we all understand the regular payment amount is due. Be firm on your handbook and have consequences prepared for if they do not follow the rules.
Sumshine 12:37 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by Heart12:
As hard as it is (I am going through this now) you HAVE to stand firm on your policies. Try not to let these parents make you feel guilty. Once you give them a "free pass" they will continue to ask for favors! Im dealing with this now from one of my current DCF.
I agree I just went through this today! DCM didn't have the money and typically doesn't if she pays Monday mornings (she actually started paying me on Friday at pick ups since she always forgot but DCB was sick last Friday). 1 morning of forgetting started turning into 1 whole day and 1 day of forgetting turned into 2 and sometimes even 3! I denied care even though she honestly probably forgot but she ran to the ATM with DCB and came back and after that I let him stay. It stinks having to do it but give an inch and people take a mile so you have to stand strong if you want you/your business to be respected by parents... your bills, daycare expenses, etc. have to be paid on time and you plan your entire finances based on parents paying on time so it's important for that reason as well!
tenderhearts 12:41 PM 01-09-2017
Thank you, they do pay Monday mornings for the current week. Are you saying that I shouldn't expect the whole amount up front if they are late??
This is what I wrote does this sound ok? or too wordy?

Payments are due every Monday morning as stated in the contract. This letter is to let you know that in the future if payment is not received at this time you will be charged the late fee of $10.00 upon pickup plus $10.00 per additional day it is late. Please refer to your contract.
I understand things happen from time to time but this has already occurred on a few occasions, therefore I need to reinforce my policies.

Thank you
TXhomedaycare 12:44 PM 01-09-2017
Thank you, they do pay Monday mornings for the current week. Are you saying that I shouldn't expect the whole amount up front if they are late??

Payments are due every Monday morning as stated in the contract. This letter is to let you know that in the future if payment is not received at this time you will be charged the late fee of $10.00 upon pickup plus $10.00 per additional day it is late. Please refer to your contract.
I understand things happen from time to time but this has already occurred on a few occasions, therefore I need to reinforce my policies.

Thank you
Great ! All funds are due in advance
tenderhearts 12:45 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
Great ! All funds are due in advance
Does my letter sound ok?

Thank you
Sumshine 12:46 PM 01-09-2017

Thank you
It's not too wordy and not personal either just saying "hey pay on time every time or else there is a late fee." I wouldnt put refer to the contract maybe say "if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to set up a time to talk with me" and at that point you could refer them personally to the contract as clearly they are not understanding it and telling them to understand it isn't going to help IMHO. I have noticed in the small amount of time that I have been open that letters really don't get too far as they don't actually read then and that talking to them personally is the best and anytime I send out a letter I read it word for word to them before they leave and always put on the bottom to contact me if they have anymore questions.
AmyKidsCo 12:49 PM 01-09-2017
It's up to you - if it bothers you then definitely write a letter and impost a late payment fee.

My payments are due Thursday night for the following week, but aren't considered "late" until 5:00 Friday. That gives parents who forget on Thursday another day to bring payment without a penalty.
tenderhearts 12:52 PM 01-09-2017
Ok great thanks. I have been doing daycare for 18 years and I have only had this happen maybe 2 other times so that's why I don't ever know what to say. I don't like things like this because I don't like to feel like I'm being "mean" but I know it needs to be said.
Usually when I have had something like this come up I will put a reminder in my newsletter however I hesitated doing that this time because I had one family a few weeks ago forget to give me their check in the morning and it was a complete oversite, they have been with me almost 2 years and have NEVER been late, mom had check in purse, weather was bad so dad dropped off and again other parents were and I didn't notice but never have they done that so I don't want them to think I am directing it at them.
Ariana 12:55 PM 01-09-2017
I personally would hand them the late charge. So the letter would go something like this:

Due to payment being late I have added an additional $10 to amount owing this week. As per my contract late charges of $10 per day accrue for every day payment is late. If payment is not received by X date care will be terminated.

Time to play some hardball if you want to keep them in line.
Sumshine 12:59 PM 01-09-2017
Ok great thanks. I have been doing daycare for 18 years and I have only had this happen maybe 2 other times so that's why I don't ever know what to say. I don't like things like this because I don't like to feel like I'm being "mean" but I know it needs to be said.
Usually when I have had something like this come up I will put a reminder in my newsletter however I hesitated doing that this time because I had one family a few weeks ago forget to give me their check in the morning and it was a complete oversite, they have been with me almost 2 years and have NEVER been late, mom had check in purse, weather was bad so dad dropped off and again other parents were and I didn't notice but never have they done that so I don't want them to think I am directing it at them.
All my DCPs but one have never had their kids in daycare before so it's been a learning experience for all of us! I've been open since Dec 1st and have already had to make 2 amendments to the contract regarding late payments and also letting me know in advance if kiddos are going to be out. I had 2 DCPs not telling me at all that they were going to be late and trying to show up at like 11 when regular drop-off time was at 7 a.m. so I put that anything over a half hour late without 24-hour notification no care will be given and I also put that they need to strive to give me notice if they know they are going to keep their kid home. I also sent out a big a big memo about the holidays and I wasn't closed any days because the actual days landed on weekends and I had Parents texting me Sunday night asking if I was open Monday and then I also had parents texting me Monday saying that they have the day off work so their kids weren't going to show up etc. Made for a hectic time for me since I like to plan in advance! I hope the road get smoother for all of us as time goes on I don't like having to be so firm and I hate confrontation but I have quickly learned if I want to be able to plan ahead and keep a steady pace for everyone I have no choice because my parents unfortunately really don't understand how daycare works.
tenderhearts 01:09 PM 01-09-2017
I'm sorry you are having issues like that. Fortunately for me I have never had issues like that, only a couple families over the last 18 yrs. It's frustrating for sure. This particular family not only has done this, but has asked oh do we still pay for that day even though you called me to pick him up (he was sick), they did an emergency trip with only a couple days notice and asked if they still had to pay, of course I said yes it's not two weeks notice, then she goes on to say they couldn't afford this trip ect which was frustrating because the husband and son didn't have to go, it had nothing to do with them, its hard to not say things back to them.
When my kids were in daycare years ago, I never would not have paid my provider, I wrote out their check over the weekend and made sure it was in the bag for Monday morning so it wouldn't be forgotten, I had two kids, some how everyone else manages.
Sumshine 01:16 PM 01-09-2017
I'm sorry you are having issues like that. Fortunately for me I have never had issues like that, only a couple families over the last 18 yrs. It's frustrating for sure. This particular family not only has done this, but has asked oh do we still pay for that day even though you called me to pick him up (he was sick), they did an emergency trip with only a couple days notice and asked if they still had to pay, of course I said yes it's not two weeks notice, then she goes on to say they couldn't afford this trip ect which was frustrating because the husband and son didn't have to go, it had nothing to do with them, its hard to not say things back to them.
When my kids were in daycare years ago, I never would not have paid my provider, I wrote out their check over the weekend and made sure it was in the bag for Monday morning so it wouldn't be forgotten, I had two kids, some how everyone else manages.
My son prior to this was in an in-home daycare while I work full time and he was my first day care experience other than when I worked at a center throughout high school as a teacher's aide and I never had a problem following the rules or paying on time either. This was the person that he spent 8 months to almost 2 years with and she was a huge influence in his life I always made sure that she was taking care of. She was a single mom as well and I understood and respected that this was her business and that we as parents need to make sure that we are paying on time I would go without or have a different Bill be late before I would ever not pay her

It is definitely been a bumpy start but since I have really put my foot down after the first two weeks everything is falling into place and I am very fortunate in the fact that all the kids that I have right now are very awesome! The days with them have been fun and go by so fast!
Meeko 01:24 PM 01-09-2017
No pay.
No stay.
No exceptions.

If they don't have the money, turn them away at the door. If they sneak in with other parents and sneak out without paying...call them immediately to come pick up until they DO pay and add a fee and warning. Don't provide ONE. SINGLE. SECOND of upfront care. It can be hard at first, but it's business.

Walmart doesn't let you take groceries today with promise of paying tomorrow. Daycare is the same. You get paid for BEFORE services are provided.

If it were me, I wouldn't stand for it. They KNOW they haven't brought payment and are trying to be sneaky. I see it as trying to "shoplift" your services. Paying after the fact doesn't excuse taking without payment in the first place.

Term...or lay down rock solid rules.

Good luck! I know it can be hard to do at times!
tenderhearts 02:03 PM 01-09-2017
That's the thing that's frustrating is mom says, "oh he forgot to leave payment and I didn't know" or other occasions she would be a little late and then say I had to go pick up the check because he forgot to leave it.
284878 06:43 PM 01-10-2017
This is why I choose to have the payment do at the end of the week before. I then know on Monday who has not paid, plus it is easier to get to the bank over the weekend.

I have on dcm that will forget and have to go home or run out to the car. Because I find myself easily distracted during drop off, I put out my receipt book as a visual reminder.

Do you have out a visual reminder? Like a note on the door?

Or in one of Tom webinars he said that one DCP put out a drop box / shoe box on the day payments were due.
Reply Up