Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safety for Lever Door Handles?
teapot100 04:45 AM 01-11-2017
I work in the children's room in a small non-profit and we just moved recently into a new space. The doors all have lever handles and the problem is that children find it so easy to open and run out the door. What kind of safety latches or other are out there where it's child-safe on the inside yet if someone needed to come in the room, it's easy enough for them to enter without the nuisance of fumbling with a child safety device?
Cat Herder 06:04 AM 01-11-2017
Can you simply change out the door knobs?
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 01-11-2017
Originally Posted by teapot100:
I work in the children's room in a small non-profit and we just moved recently into a new space. The doors all have lever handles and the problem is that children find it so easy to open and run out the door. What kind of safety latches or other are out there where it's child-safe on the inside yet if someone needed to come in the room, it's easy enough for them to enter without the nuisance of fumbling with a child safety device?
I'd check your fire codes... you might not be able to have anything that restricts anyone's ability to get out in case of fire.

If the kids are old enough to operate the handles, I'd start teaching them now that they are not to touch them. It'd probably be viewed as a supervision issue if any of them got out or escaped.
284878 08:21 AM 01-12-2017
They do make lever safety covers for Lever door handles. They cost more then the regular ones but they do make them
Poptarts22 08:23 AM 01-13-2017
The door knobs can be reversed making a pull down lever a push up lever. Sometimes this action makes it harder for little ones to open because they have to be taller. It's easy to do and free. It also does not violate code for fire safety in the County or state I reside in . Check your local codes
daycarediva 09:11 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
The door knobs can be reversed making a pull down lever a push up lever. Sometimes this action makes it harder for little ones to open because they have to be taller. It's easy to do and free. It also does not violate code for fire safety in the County or state I reside in . Check your local codes
Was just going to say this- that's what I did on the back door because the DOG can open it and was letting himself out.

I have all lever handles, and it's part of our rules that NOBODY but an adult is allowed to open the doors. I never lock anything. Supervision and reinforcement (even when a parent is here, Mom/Dad open the door- not the kids)
ColorfulSunburst 11:38 AM 01-13-2017
Hang a bell on it.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Was just going to say this- that's what I did on the back door because the DOG can open it and was letting himself out.

I have all lever handles, and it's part of our rules that NOBODY but an adult is allowed to open the doors. I never lock anything. Supervision and reinforcement (even when a parent is here, Mom/Dad open the door- not the kids)
I've never heard of this before...

I have lever style handles on my doors but they work both ways. Up or down opens the door.
Reply Up