Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Powering A House With A Generator For Long Power Outages
Mike 05:22 PM 01-13-2017
Just in case anyone loses power and wants to use a generator to power the house, here is what you need to know.

First and foremost, turn off the main breaker before connecting a generator to the house, unless your house is wired to use both. If power comes back on while a generator is plugged in, you're going to have a problem.

Next is rig up a double ended power cord. Done by someone who knows at least a little about electricity. Make sure the plugs and cord can handle the power the generator puts out.

Houses in US and Canada have 120/240V panels. (110/220, 115/230, same thing) The breaker or fuse panel provides 2 separate, and opposite, 120V lines. 240V appliances use both sides of that power.

If you have a 240V generator, great. Make a double ended cord to plug the generator into a 240V outlet, like a stove or dryer. That will actually power the whole house. If it's a 120V generator, make a double ended standard 120V plug.

Once you have your double ended cord, make sure your main breaker or power switch is turned off, AND switch off all breakers, or remove all fuses, so you don't overload your generator when you connect it. Leave on the breaker or fuse for the outlet you will be plugging the generator into so the power can get from the plug to the panel to power other things.

Now you can plug the house end of your home made cord into the house.
- For 240V, plug one end into your stove or dryer outlet. Your whole house will have access to the power.
- For 120V plug one end into a standard electrical outlet. Only 1/2 of your house will have access to the power, and anything that needs 240V will not work. Some outlets will power one half of the house and others will power the other half. If your house has split kitchen receptacles, the 2 outlets will be on separate halves of the circuit, so you can easily switch what you power by plugging into one or the other.

Now you can start your generator, making sure it's outside or well vented, then plug the other end of your double ended cord into it. Your breaker or fuse panel now has power.

Now turn on breakers or screw in fuses for wherever you want that power to go, but don't try powering more than the generator can provide. If you overdo it, don't worry. You will either stall the generator, or more likely trip a breaker on it. Then you have to turn on less things. DO NOT turn the main breaker or switch on.

When your power is restored, shut off the generator, unplug both ends of your fancy cord, then you can turn your main breaker or switch back on and enjoy the conveniences of power.

Just remember, it wasn't that long ago when nobody had electricity.
Michael 07:26 PM 01-13-2017
Good advice. I opted for temporary generators. The one I would need to power my house would be massive and its really not needed.

We have 50 solar panels on our house, also a gasoline and solar generator. I like the solar one. It generates 1500 watts and has 5 panels. I looks and rolls like a igloo cooler. The gas one is loud and toxic but works well when a latte or microwave is needed in a pinch.

Mike 08:03 PM 01-13-2017
Solar is getting very popular as backup power and even as the main power. I did reno work once on a house that was entirely solar powered. No electricity bills.
Tags:back up power, electricity, generator, power outage, solar energy
Reply Up