Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave and Holiday Pay
Baby Beluga 06:00 AM 01-18-2017
We have schedule the date for little man to arrive. He will be here 3/23/17. My question is:

When I told parents, I told them I would take off 2 unpaid days prior to the arrival date then 15 unpaid business days after babe is here before children return. My plan right now is to take off Wednesday 3/22 (I will only need 1 before day vs 2), have the c-section on 3/23 and take off Friday 3/24 - 4/14 as maternity leave, allowing the children to return on Monday 4/17 (technically this is 16 business days after.)

Problem is: Friday 4/14 is a paid holiday for me (Good Friday.) Should I keep it as is so as not to inconvenience families or should I take off Monday 4/17 as a paid holiday and allow children to return on Tuesday 4/18?
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
We have schedule the date for little man to arrive. He will be here 3/23/17. My question is:

When I told parents, I told them I would take off 2 unpaid days prior to the arrival date then 15 unpaid business days after babe is here before children return. My plan right now is to take off Wednesday 3/22 (I will only need 1 before day vs 2), have the c-section on 3/23 and take off Friday 3/24 - 4/14 as maternity leave, allowing the children to return on Monday 4/17 (technically this is 16 business days after.)

Problem is: Friday 4/14 is a paid holiday for me (Good Friday.) Should I keep it as is so as not to inconvenience families or should I take off Monday 4/17 as a paid holiday and allow children to return on Tuesday 4/18?
Personally, and this is just my opinion as I've never went through the maternity process while running my child care but since parents are already accommodating the maternity leave and planning to return as normal afterwards, I'd just let it go.

I know that family child care can be a great job that supports the growth of your family I also know that it's extremely hard for parents that do choose family care to manage when the provider gives birth herself.

Normally I am all business but in this case I guess I'd feel like the one that has to "give a little" due to the situation being of my own doing. kwim?
Baby Beluga 06:19 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, and this is just my opinion as I've never went through the maternity process while running my child care but since parents are already accommodating the maternity leave and planning to return as normal afterwards, I'd just let it go.

I know that family child care can be a great job that supports the growth of your family I also know that it's extremely hard for parents that do choose family care to manage when the provider gives birth herself.

Normally I am all business but in this case I guess I'd feel like the one that has to "give a little" due to the situation being of my own doing. kwim?
Absolutely. I was thinking about it this morning wondering "am I being greedy because I want more time off but feel like I can't take it w/o loosing clients or is this acceptable? Let me ask the board for their opinions as I know they will be honest..." lol.
Ariana 06:22 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I do agree with this

Congrats on your new baby
curiouskids 07:17 AM 01-18-2017
Congratulations! I am due the same time and will be scheduling my C-Section probably for 3/24. I'm trying to figure out maternity leave and am wondering how you are only taking 2 weeks off. Will you have someone come and help or be on your own? I don't have anyone to work for me so when I go back it will be only me and I'm concerned about lifting as I have a heavy (over 30 lbs.) 15 month old right now. Just trying to get some opinions on how others do it. Thanks!
Jupadia 07:20 AM 01-18-2017
I would also just let the day go since it falls within your at leave time.
I had to do the same with new years day when I had my youngest. I was lucky and took five days before baby was here. It was also scedualded witchadequate planning easy. But that's cause I was closed for Christmas (took paid) then closed a week to have baby wich new years day fell in. So I just took the hit. I did open the week after with a sub for the next 5 weeks (my MIL and my husband) while I supervised from a chair and couch. I also then closed for one more week at the end by then I was recoved enough from my section that point I could handle my toddler and pick him up again. Do make sure you leave yourself enough recovery time and congrats on the baby.
Baby Beluga 07:35 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I do agree with this

Congrats on your new baby
Thank you!

Originally Posted by curiouskids:
Congratulations! I am due the same time and will be scheduling my C-Section probably for 3/24. I'm trying to figure out maternity leave and am wondering how you are only taking 2 weeks off. Will you have someone come and help or be on your own? I don't have anyone to work for me so when I go back it will be only me and I'm concerned about lifting as I have a heavy (over 30 lbs.) 15 month old right now. Just trying to get some opinions on how others do it. Thanks!
Congrats! Are you trying to go back soon or are you taking longer?

I will be on my own. Honestly I am terrified and not 100% sure I can do it. But I am going to try my hardest. I keep telling myself that having baby home with me and working from home (even if I am in pain) will be better than the stress of having to start over with new clients or look for a job outside of the house. I tell myself that multiple time a day Oh, and walk, walk, walk when in the hospital. It HURTS. But it does help with a quicker recovery. I would put DD in the bassinet and push her up and down the hospital halls.

DH went back to work after 2 weeks when DD was born and I was on my own (no DC then.) I thankfully healed pretty quickly with her and am praying I have the same recovery this time around. With the exception of 1 child, all of mine are 3.5yr + and do not need lifting. I change the 14 month old on the floor now and plan to continue to do that after my c-section.

Parents were also notified that this is a tentative maternity plan. If health issues or complications arise I may not be able to return after 2 weeks and they will be notified immediately. I mean, really what else can I do? Unfortunately some of these things are out of our control. I also plan on having free play and easy meals for the first couple of weeks back until we get into a groove.

The one good thing is DH works from home now so he will be able to help with the little one. DH is super excited about babe's arrival and has already said he wants babe in his office 70% of the day while the children are here... I hope he keeps that enthusiasm once the "new baby tiredness" sets in.
curiouskids 08:03 AM 01-18-2017
I would ideally like to take 4 weeks but am going to talk to my Dr. about it at my next appointment. I'm guessing he is going to say I need at least 6 weeks. This will be my 3rd C-Section and my previous 2 have been very easy recoveries (I've been very blessed!). I'm really hoping this recovery is similar. I agree walking is best and can help with speedy recovery! My biggest concern is my 15mo dcb. But I also found out today that his family may be putting their 2 week notice in soon. I kind of hope they do because I have the opportunity of taking on twin 18mos part time but currently will not have 2 spots open after baby comes. Part time kiddos sounds kind of nice after having a newborn

Having your husband working from home should be very helpful! And I agree maternity plans need to be tentative as you never know what could happen. I hope it all works out for you and there is a smooth transition to new baby in the house!
Baby Beluga 09:02 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by curiouskids:
I would ideally like to take 4 weeks but am going to talk to my Dr. about it at my next appointment. I'm guessing he is going to say I need at least 6 weeks. This will be my 3rd C-Section and my previous 2 have been very easy recoveries (I've been very blessed!). I'm really hoping this recovery is similar. I agree walking is best and can help with speedy recovery! My biggest concern is my 15mo dcb. But I also found out today that his family may be putting their 2 week notice in soon. I kind of hope they do because I have the opportunity of taking on twin 18mos part time but currently will not have 2 spots open after baby comes. Part time kiddos sounds kind of nice after having a newborn

Having your husband working from home should be very helpful! And I agree maternity plans need to be tentative as you never know what could happen. I hope it all works out for you and there is a smooth transition to new baby in the house!
What am I talking about, you're a pro then!

This is only my second. And last. No more baby's for me. Not of my own anyway

I hope you have a quick and easy recovery! Please let me know once your date is scheduled
daycarediva 10:25 AM 01-18-2017
Great date- it's my bday! Congrats!

I agree with everyone, I would just let it go. Send parents an updated plan with the exact dates and what payments are due/not due and when.
Mike 10:43 AM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you!
The one good thing is DH works from home now so he will be able to help with the little one. DH is super excited about babe's arrival and has already said he wants babe in his office 70% of the day while the children are here... I hope he keeps that enthusiasm once the "new baby tiredness" sets in.
Let's just hope that baby joy overrides work pressure.
Reply Up