Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Own a Daycare Center?
JeepGirl6 07:24 AM 06-17-2012
How many of you went from doing In Home Child Care out of your home to opening your own Daycare Facility? How many of you started off there? Do you think you made the right decision by opening up a Center? I am thinking about opening up my own center in the years to come. Are you having individuals run the center for you? Are you the Director of the center? Any ideas/advice would be great! How many children do care for at the center? How profitable is it really? This has been my goal since I started school 6 years ago...I graduated with my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education in 2009. Do you have to have a Degree to own a Center? Thanks :-)
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 06-17-2012
Here are the licensing standards to owing a center in your state:

https://www.daycare.com/ohio/ohio-da...standards.html

I would love to open a center and be the director....that is where my heart truly lies. I love the business end of this profession.
Sugar Magnolia 11:18 AM 06-18-2012
Jeep and Black cat, I opened a center. I did not do home daycare,.started with a center, glad I did. My house is glad I did too, and so are my own children. My husband and I operate it together, I am the Director. I am a big advocate of small centers, not a fan of overly large centers. We have one staffer. I think parents like small, mom and pop places. Small group size, family like atmosphere and personalized care are my biggest selling pointed. My center is also multi age approach, so I am not much different than a large family daycare. The center license is a big help though. More rules and regs, more training required, more inspections, more "stars program" work, more screenings, more EXPENSIVE OVERHEAD. But parents do give those things weight. Pm me anytime!
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Jeep and Black cat, I opened a center. I did not do home daycare,.started with a center, glad I did. My house is glad I did too, and so are my own children. My husband and I operate it together, I am the Director. I am a big advocate of small centers, not a fan of overly large centers. We have one staffer. I think parents like small, mom and pop places. Small group size, family like atmosphere and personalized care are my biggest selling pointed. My center is also multi age approach, so I am not much different than a large family daycare. The center license is a big help though. More rules and regs, more training required, more inspections, more "stars program" work, more screenings, more EXPENSIVE OVERHEAD. But parents do give those things weight. Pm me anytime!
See that is where I am already....."a large family child care" so really in my state being licensed as a center really doesn't give me anything more (besides kids and more rules) and I like small too as I don't think I could deal with 80-100+ kids....kwim?

I would like to be the director of a center that large though....I just don't want to be the sole owner of one that large. Does that make sense?

I already have the separate building but it is a home and set up as one (sort of). It is a small home so I can't have more kids than I already have so changing my license from Family Child Care to Center care has no real advantages for me if I stay here...which I kind of have to as I have a mortgage
Selling isn't really an option as we all know how bad the market is so....here I will stay until I run out of enthusiasm and or energy or until I win the lottery!
Sugar Magnolia 01:55 PM 06-18-2012
Ahhhh I see your point Blackcat! That wouldn't be advantageous for you. Maybe like 40 our so kids?
mandy2552 09:31 AM 02-19-2018
Sugar Magnolia-

Did you end up opening a center? I'm in the exact same boat and I would be able to rent a small home in my area from my parents and I'm considering moving my business there. I'd like to keep it small as well. Ideally only 15 kids.
Tags:center, centers, daycare center
Reply Up