Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>6 Year Old Transitioning
JayLee0510 09:57 AM 06-12-2015
Hi all, I am new to this forum but have a dilemma on my hands. My son just got done with kindergarten and he was in before and after school care through his school. Before he started school, he was with my mother in law at her in home childcare. There were a lot of issue with it because we do not see eye to eye. For the summer I decided to put him in a daycare that is closer to my work, cheaper and I used to work there many moons ago. He will also be with kids his own age and not kids that are 18mth- 4 years old.

We are having some issues adjusting and even though this is only the 2nd day (yes, I know) this morning when I dropped him off he started the crying and did not want to let me go. It broke my heart. Any suggestions on how to make this easier and if anyone else has had this happen to a 6 year old? My guess is that he will snap out of it soon and make friends but sigh.
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 06-12-2015
Originally Posted by JayLee0510:
Hi all, I am new to this forum but have a dilemma on my hands. My son just got done with kindergarten and he was in before and after school care through his school. Before he started school, he was with my mother in law at her in home childcare. There were a lot of issue with it because we do not see eye to eye. For the summer I decided to put him in a daycare that is closer to my work, cheaper and I used to work there many moons ago. He will also be with kids his own age and not kids that are 18mth- 4 years old.

We are having some issues adjusting and even though this is only the 2nd day (yes, I know) this morning when I dropped him off he started the crying and did not want to let me go. It broke my heart. Any suggestions on how to make this easier and if anyone else has had this happen to a 6 year old? My guess is that he will snap out of it soon and make friends but sigh.
Aw, sorry your son is having a tough time.

My guess is it has more to do with changes...Kindergarten was structured and routine and now with summer here, the end of his busy structured days can definitely send a kid into emotionally turmoil.

It's more than likely the transition period between being in school and being in a different environment now. Not that his current environment is bad or negative, just different from school.

It's kind of like how the daycare kids I have can hold it all together and then at the end of the day, they lose the ability to control their emotions and kind of fall apart when out of routine so my guess is he is transitioning.

I am sure with a little support, reassurance and a little time he will be just fine.
Reply Up