Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HELP Need Bigger Diapers
PitterPatter 10:45 AM 01-02-2017
I have a DCB who is about to turn 3 next month. he is not poTty training well for me. mom and dad let him run around the house in underwear or nude I can't do that here. He is 68 lbs and I can no longer deal with his diaper constantly leaking because it doesn't fit him. Is there another size that I can buy to keep here at my house? DCM does not want to buy expensive diapers and dollar store diapers are too small. I can't check him every 10 to 15 minutes to try to catch it before it overflows his belly or #2 comes up his back. Please let me know what brand I can find a larger size in. Thank you!!
Leigh 12:22 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have a DCB who is about to turn 3 next month. he is not poTty training well for me. mom and dad let him run around the house in underwear or nude I can't do that here. He is 68 lbs and I can no longer deal with his diaper constantly leaking because it doesn't fit him. Is there another size that I can buy to keep here at my house? DCM does not want to buy expensive diapers and dollar store diapers are too small. I can't check him every 10 to 15 minutes to try to catch it before it overflows his belly or #2 comes up his back. Please let me know what brand I can find a larger size in. Thank you!!
The largest diapers I am aware of are Pampers Cruisers-they go up to size 7.

You can't let the kid's parents bully you into dealing with this. Tell them to find a way to contain the mess. At 68 pounds, I doubt size 7 would fit well, either. They should talk to their doctor about a prescription for a Depends type undergarment that their insurance would probably pay for. If insurance doesn't pay, make them get them anyway. I'd term over this, personally, if they won't bring something that works. It's disgusting to think that they're OK with him leaking all over your house!
Snowmom 02:44 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The largest diapers I am aware of are Pampers Cruisers-they go up to size 7.

You can't let the kid's parents bully you into dealing with this. Tell them to find a way to contain the mess. At 68 pounds, I doubt size 7 would fit well, either. They should talk to their doctor about a prescription for a Depends type undergarment that their insurance would probably pay for. If insurance doesn't pay, make them get them anyway. I'd term over this, personally, if they won't bring something that works. It's disgusting to think that they're OK with him leaking all over your house!

Or charge an added fee to buy them yourself.
Instead of disposables, I would probably look into a plastic underwear option for a nearly 70lb child.
NillaWafers 03:17 PM 01-02-2017
I would be sending home for diapers that leak constantly, especially if the parents know a bigger size is needed and refuse to provide.

It's a health risk and well within your rights. I bet they'll be sending larger, more expensive diapers after missing care a few days for this (ridiculous) reason.
ColorfulSunburst 08:49 PM 01-02-2017
why do you try to solve a parent's problem?
Make this problem bigger and more uncomfortable for the parents. How? Let diapers to leak, change them and kid's pants, then call parents with a request to bring more extra pants RIGHT NOW. Believe me, after a couple times THEY will start looking for a way to solve THEIR problem.
MotherNature 07:05 AM 01-03-2017
They don't want to spring for the diapers that would fit him? Neglectful. Guess what's more expensive than disposable diapers? Having to take time off to find new childcare. They need a reality check.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
why do you try to solve a parent's problem?
Make this problem bigger and more uncomfortable for the parents. How? Let diapers to leak, change them and kid's pants, then call parents with a request to bring more extra pants RIGHT NOW. Believe me, after a couple times THEY will start looking for a way to solve THEIR problem.

People won't change their behavior until it becomes an issue for them. Right now the only person this is an issue for is the provider. Until it becomes an issue for them, they don't care.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:00 AM 01-03-2017
wow! That is a large child! Is he really tall? That is well over twice the weight of a child that age...are there medical issues or any delays? If so, they should be able to get coverage on a medical basis for larger diapers. The weight is quite concerning to me. At not even 3 years and almost 70 pounds, they either need to seriously reevaluate the diet of this child or they need to check for medical factors. Something seems off, unless he is pushing 5 feet tall at this point
Pestle 11:08 AM 01-03-2017
I'm reading this as a typo of 38lbs. And I'd tell them either they provide a full pack of appropriately-sized diapers at the next drop off, or there's not going to be any drop off.
laundrymom 11:11 AM 01-03-2017
Yep.
I agree w posters.
If he is not daycare dry he needs diapers. And he needs diapers that fit.
"I'm sorry mom but joeys diapers don't absorb enough for the amount he goes at one time. He will need bigger disposable diapers or disposable underwear until he is daycare dry. "
PitterPatter 11:32 AM 01-03-2017
DCB is as tall as the four year olds but he is also wider. That's where the problem lies. His mom and dad are tall also but I do think he is fed too much. He sometimes gets seconds here but there's a lot that he won't eat so it's hard to tell exactly what his appetite would be at home but he's definitely eating a lot of something.

I'm trying very hard to potty train him but I cannot lift him onto the toilet and he does not want to climb up. DCM wanted to supply me with a potty chair so DCB didn't have to walk up the steps to go to the bsthroom, she thought that was the problem. No one else uses a potty chair here and I don't want an potty chair lying around for the kids to have access to. And I don't want to have to run it up to the bathroom to empty it every time he goes. I can't leave my kids alone like that.

I'm going to suggest that she buy the Pampers Cruisers or perhaps I can get a sample sent to me and if they fit I will tell her she has to supply them. She is more than happy to supply me with many extra sets of clothing for when he leaks and I just bag them, send them home and the next day she brings more. That's not really a solution to the problem. I wouldn't even mind as much if he was really trying to work with the potty here but he has no desire it's a fight every time.

Thank you all for your advice it is greatly appreciated!!
Baby Beluga 11:43 AM 01-03-2017
If he is 68lbs unfortunately the pampers size 7s won't work (I've used them before). They are just a hair larger than the size 6s and it is in the length, not the width.

At this point I would recommend a doctor visit and goodnight pull ups. They are sold in sizes S/M (weight 38 - 65lbs) and L/XL (weight 60 - 125+ pounds).

And stop lifting him on the toilet. Children who are ready to be trained can climb off and on the toilet themselves
laundrymom 10:47 AM 01-04-2017
"Mom, we need joey to be accident free for two whole weeks before we try underwear again. He will need pull-ups or diapers that contain his urine and bowel movements until that happens. Thanks. "
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
DCB is as tall as the four year olds but he is also wider. That's where the problem lies. His mom and dad are tall also but I do think he is fed too much. He sometimes gets seconds here but there's a lot that he won't eat so it's hard to tell exactly what his appetite would be at home but he's definitely eating a lot of something.

I'm trying very hard to potty train him but I cannot lift him onto the toilet and he does not want to climb up. DCM wanted to supply me with a potty chair so DCB didn't have to walk up the steps to go to the bsthroom, she thought that was the problem. No one else uses a potty chair here and I don't want an potty chair lying around for the kids to have access to. And I don't want to have to run it up to the bathroom to empty it every time he goes. I can't leave my kids alone like that.

I'm going to suggest that she buy the Pampers Cruisers or perhaps I can get a sample sent to me and if they fit I will tell her she has to supply them. She is more than happy to supply me with many extra sets of clothing for when he leaks and I just bag them, send them home and the next day she brings more. That's not really a solution to the problem. I wouldn't even mind as much if he was really trying to work with the potty here but he has no desire it's a fight every time.

Thank you all for your advice it is greatly appreciated!!

daycarediva 11:09 AM 01-04-2017
68lbs?! At THREE!?

She needs good nights pull-ups, honestly. Even a small/medium size would work. I would require them immediately or turn them away at the door until they have them.

Are they seeking medical help? What do her physical forms say?
Papa 10:26 AM 01-05-2017
They could also use a maxi pad inside the diaper for more absorbsion. When we train kids we sometimes put undies under diapers and also plastic pants over the diapers. Terminate if they cannot help and listen to you.
Baby Beluga 12:57 PM 01-05-2017
OP, I'm curious how the talk with mom went?
Reply Up