Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quiet Activities
Luke25 07:55 PM 01-09-2017
What are everyone's go to activities when the kids are crazy and nothing is working? I'd love some ideas of things your kids love and that they will sit and work with at least 5-10 minutes. My kids are between 15 months and almost 3 and sometimes get just out of control where I can't do much with them.
Thanks!
Controlled Chaos 08:53 PM 01-09-2017
Sensory stations - play doh, pom poms with painted egg cartons for sorting, magic beads, kinetic sand, water pitchers

Puzzles

Coloring

I often just separate them all to different areas for a few minutes and that diffuses the crazy
Josiegirl 02:56 AM 01-10-2017
I have a lot of different kinds of blocks that don't get played with a lot. So I'll just put a basket of them on the table with animals or people and leave them there. Kids find them and settle right in. You know those Melissa and Doug type blocks? The farm is popular here so that'll entertain them. Tape a big piece of paper to cover the table and set our whatever they like to draw with.
I made sparkly snow playdoh the other day. They could've played with that all day. I added googly eyes and shiny chenille stems, they added some people and animals.
And yes, pompoms, there's just something about them, scooping, sorting, you can add mini muffin tins, those big plastic tweezers. Anything new and different.
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 01-10-2017
They do LOVE those magic beads but my group made such a mess with them. I ended up with little gooey pieces, probably my fault for letting them get carried away.
Play Care 05:34 AM 01-10-2017
I have special "table" toys that only come out when I know my attention can't be 100% on them. Since my table is an island with stools, the kids under 3 have to be buckled into the booster seats.

It helps keep major transition times calmer and quieter but the best is that no one can "forget" and change their location without my knowledge.

But this works well because of the toys used and that they get changed out frequently. I have kids asking to be "at the table" at other times
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 01-10-2017
My kiddos have been completely enthralled with block play this last year.

I have several different types of blocks but the most popular right now are the large Duplo blocks, waffle blocks and wooden blocks.

I have GINORMOUS Rubbermaid totes of each (45 gallon size) and just rotate between them.

My kiddos will play together in a mixed age group (2.5yrs - 5yrs) for hours.
Luke25 10:54 AM 01-10-2017
Thanks everyone!! Those are great ideas! I like getting new things in my "toolbox" for times like this. .
Today has been a much better day! Everyone was getting over colds so we were struggling!! I'm VERY thankful everyone is finally feeling better ! Haha happy-face
e.j. 12:11 PM 01-10-2017
My go to's include Play Doh, file folder games and felt board games. The kids can quietly get through an entire morning when doing any one of those activities.
Ariana 12:37 PM 01-10-2017
Another good one is snow in a water table and every gets a spoon.
Play Care 12:49 PM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
They do LOVE those magic beads but my group made such a mess with them. I ended up with little gooey pieces, probably my fault for letting them get carried away.
Messy toys/projects are only at the sensory table and only when I can sit right there. Nice for mid-morning, but not so great for dismissal.
Josiegirl 02:44 PM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Messy toys/projects are only at the sensory table and only when I can sit right there. Nice for mid-morning, but not so great for dismissal.
I had mine in a small sensory tub right on the kitchen floor. Is it my fault someone figured out how their bare feet felt in them? After that it was like making wine from grapes on I Love Lucy. Best sensory experience they ever had. Lol
mommiebookworm 08:21 PM 01-10-2017
My kids like felt books, playdoh and a sensory bin of rice.
Reply Up