Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Houses vs Apartments
Unregistered 08:16 AM 01-11-2017
I am curious if anyone does in home daycare out of an apartment and if you think you have just as many willing and well paying clients as you would if you were in a house. I live in Missouri and may have to downgrade to a one bedroom apartment.
happymom 08:58 AM 01-11-2017
(I am a parent)

An apartment based daycare would be a serious deterrent for me. I'm sure if you run it well, and have lots of excursions, and a good schedule - you could get good clients, though.

I wouldn't write off the idea completely, but if I was searching I probably wouldn't even call if I knew it was based out of an apartment.
CityGarden 09:08 AM 01-11-2017
I have seen some townhouse communities near St. Louis that I would consider as much as I would a home that said, I do think you would want to price yourself a bit lower initially to be competitive at least until you are full.

I do think the neighborhood and area would be considered.... (as it would with a house) so be sure to pick a good neighborhood because parents will be checking you out but also your neighbors and the area.
Leigh 09:29 AM 01-11-2017
I have a friend who has a childcare in her apartment. She has a terrible time getting and keeping kids. She seems to get the ones that have already been kicked out of every other childcare in town. I know that some people are successful with it, but I don't know any of those people.
LysesKids 09:46 AM 01-11-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am curious if anyone does in home daycare out of an apartment and if you think you have just as many willing and well paying clients as you would if you were in a house. I live in Missouri and may have to downgrade to a one bedroom apartment.
I did childcare in a 2 bdrm duplex in MO for 2 years but I had landlords permission and a fenced yard; I was a legally licensed exempt home that went thru state clearance (registered) in order to take subsidy. I also ran as though I was fully licensed, sprinklers, written policies, fire drills, etc etc.

I wouldn't think about doing childcare in a one bedroom just because of space issues. Also many apt complexes having clauses that state no home business can be run... essentially they can evict you if you didn't get permission in writing first. Would you be on the ground floor in case you need to evacuate? Where would kids play? And yes, the neighborhood has a lot to do with getting clients
KTsKids 01:20 PM 01-11-2017
I've actually run my childcare out of an apartment for just over 6 years now. After my divorce I was forced to relocate my business from our 4 bedroom house with a fenced in yard to an apartment. Not only that but I was in a different city so I was starting from scratch. It was a challenge however it can be done, just make sure you have permission from your landlord.

My first year was in a second floor one bedroom apartment, it was tricky but I made it work. The biggest challenge was the poor guy that lived underneath me... all those little feet pitter pattering across the floor day and night! Do your neighbors a favor and get a bottom floor unit! My complex didn't have one available, but I'd never do it again...

As soon as that lease was up I moved to a larger 2 bedroom on the bottom floor. I use the large master bedroom as the playroom. Also, I was able to get a unit where when you walk out my front door you're all of 5 feet from the neighborhood playground. It's a safe grassy area and down a hill far from the parking lot with a fence separating it from all areas with cars.

I've never had any problem staying full, in fact I have a sizable wait list, however I do offer some hard to find perks to get people interested. I live near a hospital so I found that offering overnight, weekend, and holiday care to hospital staff is an invaluable service in my area. Also, I developed a close relationship with the management of my apartment complex and they actually recommend me to new families moving in. It can definitely be done, so if you do have to downsize don't get too discouraged.
Reply Up