Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paperwork Necessary?
MsLisa 10:48 AM 01-17-2017
As a Nanny, should I concern myself with paperwork such as contracts, receipts, handbooks, forms and etc.?
I've only really had on-call/date night families so far, which is more just being an able body than providing much of a service.

The reason I ask is because next week I FINALLY start with my part-time after-school family (2-7pm 4-5days/wk) for the rest of the school year, possibly into the summer too. Should I provide them with a contract?
Nothing lengthy or hyper-detailed like a daycare handbook, just hours/pay/duties/etc.. They only wanted a copy of my clearances & drivers license, which I have already on hand. My husband says he wouldn't worry about it. I want to handle myself as professional as possible (but I'm also a perfectionist who can't leave well-enough alone....)

THOUGHTS?

(Fellow Nannies, old and new, give me your tips too!)
organicdclady 11:08 AM 01-17-2017
I used to work as a nanny. I wish I knew back then what daycare (and this forum) has taught me.
Although they are your employer, there should still be respect for your time and your expectations.
I think a contract is a great idea. It can not only guarantee your pay, hours, vacations, etc. It also guarantees to the family that during the specified hours you are available to them and only them.
I told families up front that I expected to be compensated for the time I allotted them even if they didn't need me.
Think about what is important to you and what youre not willing to give on. For me, I hated when a family would decide at the drop of a hat they didn't need me. Sometimes that was $200 less I got that week. I could not budget that way.
It's also good to agree on what you are expected to do with the children, house work, etc.
I would also request a specified date in which they will let you know if you're needed for summer, holidays, days off school, etc. That way you can plan and have your income mapped out and are not all of a sudden out of a job come June 1st with no back up plan.
Best of luck to you. Hopefully someone who has implemented a contract will chime in with some helpful insight.
CityGarden 11:39 AM 01-17-2017
I always think a contract is a great idea. I would include three items for them....

I would ask them or provide them with a written job description (so everyone is clear on your duties) no longer than one page.

I would also have a contract including payment amount and terms, schedule, etc. include protections for things that matter most to you. (as noted above) Any vacations you take / they take etc. I would not make it too intimidating for them though so keep it one page or less and keep the language simple.

Child Medical Consent Form(s) for their children you may never need it "but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"
mommyneedsadayoff 11:44 AM 01-17-2017
I never had official contracts as a nanny. I made sure at interviews to find parents i felt i could work with. I also never worked hourly, but on a flat wage that was set for max hours. One week may have been 30 hrs, the next 40, but my pay was the same. With your situation, i would expect an agreed upon weekly fee or a VERY high hourly wage.
While i had no official contract, i was given the perks of each job upfront (vacation pay, sick pay, days off, ect.).

I am not sure if contracts are the norm in nannyville, as you are an employee of the family, but i would at the very least make sure my taxes are being withheld appropriately and make sure i am on the same page.
LysesKids 01:10 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
As a Nanny, should I concern myself with paperwork such as contracts, receipts, handbooks, forms and etc.?
I've only really had on-call/date night families so far, which is more just being an able body than providing much of a service.

The reason I ask is because next week I FINALLY start with my part-time after-school family (2-7pm 4-5days/wk) for the rest of the school year, possibly into the summer too. Should I provide them with a contract?
Nothing lengthy or hyper-detailed like a daycare handbook, just hours/pay/duties/etc.. They only wanted a copy of my clearances & drivers license, which I have already on hand. My husband says he wouldn't worry about it. I want to handle myself as professional as possible (but I'm also a perfectionist who can't leave well-enough alone....)

THOUGHTS?

(Fellow Nannies, old and new, give me your tips too!)
I did on call and PT Nanny work a few different times... the one time I didn't do a contract came back to bite me bad & I ended up quitting no notice - I was essentially booted from the room that came with the job after having numerous weeks of less pay then expected. Never again will I do that ... lesson learned. Since you are only PT, you should be getting a slightly higher wage... negotiate Holidays, what happens if you have to work over set hours each week, if you get paid vacation or not... Are you expected to travel with them if they take vacation? If so make sure they pay your way & all the extras you will incur.
NillaWafers 03:43 PM 01-17-2017
Contract is about all you really need, and maybe a medical release?

In the contract it should state your job description, holidays they have off, and vacations. Honestly, you should be paid through ALL OF IT. And if they want to not pay you when you don't work (ie they are on vacation, or have the day off from work, not when you take vacation ect) I'd rethink working for them.

My first nanny job I didn't have a contract. She added SO MUCH to my job, I was eventually scrubbing grout, picking up her drycleaning, AND watching her kids. For the same pay. I also didn't get paid when she had time off and they would often take vacations or days off without notice. It was terrible, and every job after that I insisted on a contract. I was young, but I learned a LOT!
Meeko 07:06 AM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Contract is about all you really need, and maybe a medical release?

In the contract it should state your job description, holidays they have off, and vacations. Honestly, you should be paid through ALL OF IT. And if they want to not pay you when you don't work (ie they are on vacation, or have the day off from work, not when you take vacation ect) I'd rethink working for them.

My first nanny job I didn't have a contract. She added SO MUCH to my job, I was eventually scrubbing grout, picking up her drycleaning, AND watching her kids. For the same pay. I also didn't get paid when she had time off and they would often take vacations or days off without notice. It was terrible, and every job after that I insisted on a contract. I was young, but I learned a LOT!
Yes...this.

I have never done nanny work, but had a friend who did. Her job description got really blurry around the edges as the mom kept adding things. Always asked with a smile and "Could you do me a huge favor?!!..." The problem is the favors became required and for no extra pay.

She started off with being told no housework, just tending the kids. Then it was "could she just mop the kitchen floor during nap time because they had company coming over?"....and so it escalated.

Get it ALL in writing or be prepared to be taken advantage of.
Heart12 01:11 PM 01-19-2017
I agree with PP, get it all in writing. I was a nanny for many years before I opened my own daycare. One of the main reasons I wanted to own my daycare is because I was tired of getting used by families! They would gradually add things for me to do WITHOUT extra pay. It would start with a favor, & eventually become an expectation. Then they would start getting home 10min late everyday (which adds up by the end of the week!) & I would not get paid for it. I would definitely have a mini-contract between you & the parents
Snowmom 02:00 PM 01-19-2017
Think of it this way:

When you apply and accept a job in any private or public sector, there is several forms of paperwork involved.
Not just the required W2's and forms of ID, but also:
1. A written job description.
2. Written or posted vacation/sick time and what to do to use it.
3. Various benefit packages to sign off on.
4. Codes of Conduct or Mission Statements to accept.

Every job should have written policies and descriptions.
Tags:nanny, nanny - keeping records
Reply Up