Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pull-Ups At Naptime-Does That Mean Potty Trained
Country Kids 12:50 PM 08-23-2012
OK, the post about wearing pull-ups/diapers during naptime had me thinking and actually I was thinking about this earlier in the week also.

Do you think if a child needs a pull-up during naptime, that they are fully potty trained? Would it go against your contract/handbook to say the two week dry to be in underwear and then have to be putting them in pull-ups at naptime is concidered dry for two weeks?

For those that charge differently for non-potty trained/potty trained to you still charge the non-potty trained rate till they are in underwear during naptime?

I have an almost 5 year old that has been potty trained 2 years (Potty trained right before turning 3) that still wears a pulll-up during naptime and soaks it every day. Sometimes the child only sleeps 30 min but still soaks the pull-up. So I was wondering since we still have to change them into pull-up ever naptime then back into underwear should that be a higher charge?
daycare 12:57 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, the post about wearing pull-ups/diapers during naptime had me thinking and actually I was thinking about this earlier in the week also.

Do you think if a child needs a pull-up during naptime, that they are fully potty trained? Would it go against your contract/handbook to say the two week dry to be in underwear and then have to be putting them in pull-ups at naptime is concidered dry for two weeks?

For those that charge differently for non-potty trained/potty trained to you still charge the non-potty trained rate till they are in underwear during naptime?

I have an almost 5 year old that has been potty trained 2 years (Potty trained right before turning 3) that still wears a pulll-up during naptime and soaks it every day. Sometimes the child only sleeps 30 min but still soaks the pull-up. So I was wondering since we still have to change them into pull-up ever naptime then back into underwear should that be a higher charge?
at 5 why cant the child change it themselves?

My son has this issue and he is 4. He wakes up in the am and takes it off and clean himself up.

I would teach the chlid to care for it on their own.

I am torn on this, as I say in my contract must be free of pull-up or diapers........ BUt then I think about my own child and say well he is potty trained, he just can't wake up to pee..... So for my own sake I would say yes, it is potty trained...
Country Kids 01:02 PM 08-23-2012
So are providers breaking their own contract if they require them to be pull-up free then let them wear pull-ups for nap?
daycare 01:03 PM 08-23-2012
So are providers breaking their own contract if they require them to be pull-up free then let them wear pull-ups for nap?
stop asking all these good questions....lol now you got me thinking....hahahhah
MNMum 01:03 PM 08-23-2012
I would say this is potty trained as long as they are able to change out of their underwear and into their pullup before and after nap with minimal assistance. I do charge less once a child is PT because I provide diapers/wipes and the time that goes into the PT process.

I think my husband wet the bed until he was 16. Sometimes it's a medical thing...
Country Kids 01:08 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
stop asking all these good questions....lol now you got me thinking....hahahhah
I'm to much of a thinker!

I love it when we are doing Bible study, ask a question and people that have studied the Bible their entire lives look at me like "Whoa, I've never ever thought of it like that!" One guy always chuckles when I ask a question because I make him really, really have to think sometimes-
daycare 01:09 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by MNMum:
I would say this is potty trained as long as they are able to change out of their underwear and into their pullup before and after nap with minimal assistance. I do charge less once a child is PT because I provide diapers/wipes and the time that goes into the PT process.

I think my husband wet the bed until he was 16. Sometimes it's a medical thing...
lol my girl cousin did too. and I did not know about it for years until we had a sleep over and we both slept in my bed and I woke up wet.....

I agree with this. If they can change it themselves, then yes, if you have to do it, then no...

Maybe I sound mean bu saying that, but if you can take off and on your own clothes, why can't you do that with a pull up?? at 5 unless you have delays, you should be able to dress and undress one self
Country Kids 01:15 PM 08-23-2012
Now that I've got you thinking on this DC, do you think it would be wise to be a clause in there for naptime use of pull-ups.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe this is why parents don't tell providers anything about naptime wetting because they are afraid A. They will be charged more for pull-ups at naptime or B. Their child can't come because of the no pull-up/diaper rule.
cheerfuldom 01:19 PM 08-23-2012
I charge the same rate for potty trained or not potty trained.

But I would also allow a child to wear underwear during the day and then change to a pull up for nap time. With a 5 year old, yes, I would make them change themselves at that age.
daycare 01:21 PM 08-23-2012
Now that I've got you thinking on this DC, do you think it would be wise to be a clause in there for naptime use of pull-ups.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe this is why parents don't tell providers anything about naptime wetting because they are afraid A. They will be charged more for pull-ups at naptime or B. Their child can't come because of the no pull-up/diaper rule.
I don't know, let me think........im itching my head and its big...this could be awhile.....hahha

well I don't think so. Like I was saying at this age, a child should be able to do it on their own. But maybe something should be written into the contracts that covers this. Perhaps letting the parents know that the child will need to put on and take off on their own or it's not considered potty trained. Because if you think about it, part of potty training is also being able to be self sufficient with all steps of toileting. Pull up/down underpants, shorts, wipe, flush and etc...

let me think some more...wheres BC????
Country Kids 01:27 PM 08-23-2012
I don't know, let me think........im itching my head and its big...this could be awhile.....hahha

well I don't think so. Like I was saying at this age, a child should be able to do it on their own. But maybe something should be written into the contracts that covers this. Perhaps letting the parents know that the child will need to put on and take off on their own or it's not considered potty trained. Because if you think about it, part of potty training is also being able to be self sufficient with all steps of toileting. Pull up/down underpants, shorts, wipe, flush and etc...

let me think some more...wheres BC????
Pepsi just went everywhere! 1st the big head comment, then the Where's BC one. Tears are running down my face from trying not to laugh out loud and wake them up.
daycare 01:28 PM 08-23-2012
Pepsi just went everywhere! 1st the big head comment, then the Where's BC one. Tears are running down my face from trying not to laugh out loud and wake them up.
lol im gonna spank you ....youre drinking coke again...or pepsi soda whatever you call it..

I have horrible advice....lol that's why I said wheres BC.....
Country Kids 01:29 PM 08-23-2012
BC is watching this thread. Watching us sweat this out, trying to figure it out without anyone else. She watching her screen and smiling-.

We love you BC! What do you think-
daycare 01:34 PM 08-23-2012
BC is watching this thread. Watching us sweat this out, trying to figure it out without anyone else. She watching her screen and smiling-.

you're probably right.....I see her right now sitting there laughing in her chair saying to herself I wonder how many silly ideas they will come up before I should say something to them.......

the torture....
Country Kids 01:40 PM 08-23-2012
you're probably right.....I see her right now sitting there laughing in her chair saying to herself I wonder how many silly ideas they will come up before I should say something to them.......

the torture....
This is to much for me! Just what I needed today-good friends and good laughs-
daycare 01:43 PM 08-23-2012
This is to much for me! Just what I needed today-good friends and good laughs-
im having a really off day today......in a feisty spirit i must say. BUT all of my DCK are sleeping soundly and I am enjoying my play time on here while they do..

thanks for keeping me in good company...
BumbleBee 01:43 PM 08-23-2012
Well I'm not BC but I'll throw my 2 cents in here:

Yes I would consider a child potty trained if they only need a diaper/pullup at nap/bed time. As for contract clause I would write:

A child is considered potty trained when he/she can stay dry for 2 full weeks during waking hours. Children who require a pullup for nap/bed time must be able to change into and out of their pullup by themselves or with minimal assistance.
Country Kids 01:45 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Well I'm not BC but I'll throw my 2 cents in here:

Yes I would consider a child potty trained if they only need a diaper/pullup at nap/bed time. As for contract clause I would write:

A child is considered potty trained when he/she can stay dry for 2 full weeks during waking hours. Children who require a pullup for nap/bed time must be able to change into and out of their pullup by themselves or with minimal assistance.
Sounds great!
daycare 01:47 PM 08-23-2012
Sounds great!
yeah see thats what I said.....lol or at least tried to....lol

Oh I am so not good at putting words together...
BumbleBee 01:59 PM 08-23-2012
yeah see thats what I said.....lol or at least tried to....lol

Oh I am so not good at putting words together...
If it makes you feel any better, I typed the contract thing 5 times before I was satisfied!
daycare 02:03 PM 08-23-2012
If it makes you feel any better, I typed the contract thing 5 times before I was satisfied!
lol ok maybe a little bit.. I think I have done about 20 revisions to my PHB...now it's so lomg that I don't want to touch the thing....lol

I am really trying to find a way to cut down the PHB and my contracts......but I just can't seem to figure it out...lol
Country Kids 02:04 PM 08-23-2012
I'm updating this week-with tylenol in hand while I do it.

I want it to be just right, not have to deal with things, and cover my forms like no tomorrow! I want there to be no, I mean no questions when I'm done-
daycare 02:06 PM 08-23-2012
I'm updating this week-with tylenol in hand while I do it.

I want it to be just right, not have to deal with things, and cover my forms like no tomorrow! I want there to be no, I mean no questions when I'm done-
lol I just had a family tell me that my PHB was nuts and they needed to be somewhere that offered more flexibility....lol

I said ok, thanks I'll take note of that.....
BumbleBee 02:14 PM 08-23-2012
lol I just had a family tell me that my PHB was nuts and they needed to be somewhere that offered more flexibility....lol

I said ok, thanks I'll take note of that.....
Translation: we want special.
daycare 02:15 PM 08-23-2012
Translation: we want special.
bingo....they currently had a nanny for their kids, but wanted daycare and preschool for their kids....
clep 02:16 PM 08-23-2012
I would say the child is not potty taught. The reason I say this is because if the child only naps for 30 min and is soaked, that tells me the child is holding it until the pull up goes on to pee in the pull up.

When I potty teach children there is no pull up even at rest time. I have had children pee their bed a couple of times, but not after that.

It is a mental thing. If a child knows a pull up is going on, they know how long to hold the pee. I have them go pee before bed and if the bladder is empty, they don't pee the bed.
Country Kids 02:18 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by clep:
I would say the child is not potty taught. The reason I say this is because if the child only naps for 30 min and is soaked, that tells me the child is holding it until the pull up goes on to pee in the pull up.

When I potty teach children there is no pull up even at rest time. I have had children pee their bed a couple of times, but not after that.

It is a mental thing. If a child knows a pull up is going on, they know how long to hold the pee. I have them go pee before bed and if the bladder is empty, they don't pee the bed.
No the child goes into the bathroom on their own and goes very well.

I think that maybe they don't have to go right before naptime and then it catches up with them during nap possibly.
daycare 02:20 PM 08-23-2012

I disagree with this.... My son has been PT for a long time and wets the bed at night. He's 4.5 yrs old. He pees before bed time each night and I try no liquids an hour before bed. I think it is more of a physical thing. He sleeps so deep he can't wake himself up to go because pull up or not every night he has an accident...
clep 02:59 PM 08-23-2012
I disagree with this.... My son has been PT for a long time and wets the bed at night. He's 4.5 yrs old. He pees before bed time each night and I try no liquids an hour before bed. I think it is more of a physical thing. He sleeps so deep he can't wake himself up to go because pull up or not every night he has an accident...
I agree with you, however you are speaking of a whole night, not half an hour. Lots of children wear a pull up overnight. I was speaking of the idea of soaking a pull up in half an hour. That is what tells me the child is holding it waiting for a pull up.

I wonder if the op takes the child to pee before rest time?
clep 03:01 PM 08-23-2012
No the child goes into the bathroom on their own and goes very well.

I think that maybe they don't have to go right before naptime and then it catches up with them during nap possibly.
Sorry, didn't see that post. I can understand that when they sleep for over an hour, but not half an hour.
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 08-23-2012

the torture....
Here I am!

I was not laughing AT you but I surely was laughing with you two! LOL!

My 2 cents? You are thinking way too deeply about this. Honestly, there are so many variables in this that you couldn't possibly include every possible scenario in your handbook. Well, I suppose you could but it would be so heavy none of the parents could take home a copy.

I think a child who still wets during nap time but uses the toilet during every other time regularly and without assistance IS potty trained. I would not make the child wear a pull up any other time except nap time. I would make sure the child goes before laying down though.

I have a 5 yr old who hasn't had an accident in 3 full years but will pee every so often during nap time. Usually dependent on how tired she is and how busy our morning was. She wears a pull up....just in case.

Some kids are not developmentally able to wake and pee and wetting during sleep is an issue well into adolesence. Nothing to be too bent out of shape about if it is really only happening during sleep periods.

As far as talking with parents and including such rules in your handbook, it seems to me it would just be much simplier and much more personalized to talk about it.

You don't have to have every rule/scenario covered in writting. You just have to be able to have on-going, open, honest communication about the subject.

If I charged a different rate for toilet trained versus not trained, Iwould not consider this case a non-trained child.

That is all I got.
My3cents 03:46 PM 08-23-2012

Laughing my butt off at you ladies....wish I could have been in on the action

but now I will give my cents to this. I don't agree. I think maybe some kids are like that, but I think some children go into such a deep sleep that they don't realize the functions of their body when they are sleeping. The pee when I want mentality has not shut off but actually is still activated because the brain just is just not there yet. I think the self awareness happens after the day time training has been in the works for a while. Some kids pick it up quick and some brains just take longer. I guess I agree with some of what you are saying but not all. Yes, having the child go to the bathroom before nap. Thirty minutes a child can enter a deep sleep and not think about body functions. I also think kids wake up and pee instantly not thinking about it. I know it is the first thing I have to do in the morning. I think they can't wait as long as we can.

I don't charge more for potty training. I feel its part of the job and I also feel it is not about training the child so much as the parents and the caregivers. It is change and goes against simple routine of what we have been doing over and over.

Best-
My3cents 03:50 PM 08-23-2012
I agree with this and many children are the same way....

I think it is physical and brain combined. Deep sleep. This is what I was trying to get across and probably the above post. He is in such a deep sleep that his brain won't wake up to signal his body. Many adults have this issue too. Grammy is not the only one buying the depends at the store, grown adults need them too. There is a name for it, can't think of it off the top of my head.
My3cents 04:02 PM 08-23-2012
I agree with you, however you are speaking of a whole night, not half an hour. Lots of children wear a pull up overnight. I was speaking of the idea of soaking a pull up in half an hour. That is what tells me the child is holding it waiting for a pull up.

I wonder if the op takes the child to pee before rest time?
In a half hour the child does have time to fall into a deep sleep. If the child was not potty trained during the day I might buy into this but usually kids get proud of being a big kid and they don't want to regress anymore then we want them too. I am thinking most daycare providers are putting the kids on the toilet before nap time. Some kids can pee a lot too. I have one that I will change her and the next diaper is like a night time diaper. I change often. I think she must have a big bladder.
Country Kids 04:02 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here I am!

My 2 cents? You are thinking way too deeply about this. Honestly, there are so many variables in this that you couldn't possibly include every possible scenario in your handbook. Well, I suppose you could but it would be so heavy none of the parents could take home a copy.

I think a child who still wets during nap time but uses the toilet during every other time regularly and without assistance IS potty trained. I would not make the child wear a pull up any other time except nap time. I would make sure the child goes before laying down though.

I have a 5 yr old who hasn't had an accident in 3 full years but will pee every so often during nap time. Usually dependent on how tired she is and how busy our morning was. She wears a pull up....just in case.

Some kids are not developmentally able to wake and pee and wetting during sleep is an issue well into adolesence. Nothing to be too bent out of shape about if it is really only happening during sleep periods.

As far as talking with parents and including such rules in your handbook, it seems to me it would just be much simplier and much more personalized to talk about it.

You don't have to have every rule/scenario covered in writting. You just have to be able to have on-going, open, honest communication about the subject.

If I charged a different rate for toilet trained versus not trained, Iwould not consider this case a non-trained child.

That is all I got.
She pounced!

Thank you for helping us out of this overly thought scenerio (I deep think way to much during nap time).

Please don't make us wait so long next time-
BumbleBee 04:04 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
He is in such a deep sleep that his brain won't wake up to signal his body. Many adults have this issue too. There is a name for it, can't think of it off the top of my head.
Nocturnal enuresis?
My3cents 04:56 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here I am!

That is all I got.
love this...... as always you word things very nicely. I wish that I had your talent.
Reply Up