Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment
nikia 11:11 AM 01-10-2011
So the child that had lice constantly was gone for a week because she was on an oral medication to get rid of them and mom decided she should keep her home because she couldn't treat her with chemicals at the same time so she would have live ones on her head until the oral mess started killing them. Good decision lol

I have in my contract that they pay regardless if the come or not unless I am the one to cancel daycare. I have not received payment yet for the week the child was gone. I was supposed to receive payment last friday but did not. I did not contact them over the weekend because I had a family function on both days. Now I am feeling that it is a bit late to say anything because I let it go all weekend and this morning at drop off. I know I shouldn't have but I did.

So is it too late now to ask for my payment. Should I just take it as a loss? Or should I send a message to mom and say hey never received the payment that we spoke of last week and will need that tonight for care to continue this week?

This mom thinks she is better than everyone else and has complained about paying when child isn't here numerous times.
Blackcat31 11:18 AM 01-10-2011
I wouldn't feel bad about not contacting the family over the weekend unless you normally track down your payments. It is the family's responsibility to pay on time. You should NEVER have to remind them. Also, even though you didn't say anything about it this morning, maybe you were expecting it at pick up time (?) I would charge and not feel bad for it because just like an illness it isn't YOUR fault the child had lice. If she had had the flu or strep, you would have charged so why is lice any different? Especially since she didnt get it from your house. I would mention it to mom at pick up time and just say something like "I was so busy this morning I forgot to ask you about your past due payment. You currently owe me $___". If mom gives you grief, just handle it like any other time she fussed....payment is due like any other payment. I can't think of any ligit reasons why she should figure you aren't going to charge her. Good luck!
ddnanny13 11:58 AM 01-10-2011
It is definitely not too late to request payment! If she is known to argue maybe have a copy of your contract hanging near by and tell her she is free to check if she wishes while you are conveniently doing something else... If she refuses then let her know that you cannot care for her until you receive it, then stick to your guns! (I know how much that is easier said than done) If she shows up at your door, ask for payment and if she doesn't have it say then I'm sorry you came all the way here but I cannot take her today.
Live and Learn 12:02 PM 01-10-2011
1) I would say," I didn't see my payment in the diaper bag.... did You leave it in your car? Your balance is $xyz." Lice, flu, vacation whatever. You save a spot for them at the table ....they need to pay for it! If she gives you guff say, "listen I turned away drop in care last week so that I could hold your spot. Doing so cost me income. As you know it is my policy that you pay even if kiddo isn't here." Then shut your mouth, smile, and stare at her.
2) I would change your policy to being paid before you provide childcare services....
Good Luck
lvt77 12:08 PM 01-10-2011
look at it like this...
if you did not make your bank payment and the bank was closed over the weekend just as you are, they would call you the next business day and ask you where their money is....send her a friendly reminder....
lvt77 12:08 PM 01-10-2011
why should you have to work weekends?
try this letter if you want

Dear parent,

Prior to your child’s admission to our day care, we entered into an agreement that daycare fees are due and payable PRIOR to your child's attendance. All day care fees must be paid on the last day of the week that your child attends care, one week in advance wither they are present or not. You further agreed that if payment was not made in advance, your child would not be admitted to the daycare until all past fees were brought up to date.
This is just a reminder of that agreement, and request for payments are made on time. Please understand that if fees are not paid in a timely manner, we are unable to pay our obligations, or meet the daily monetary requirements of running this family daycare. We only wish to provide the best care possible for your child, and, unfortunately, money is required to do so. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
Currently your child’s daycare account has a past due balance of__________ that needs to be paid by_________________ before your child can return to care.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask,
nannyde 12:10 PM 01-10-2011
Of course they should pay you. Having untreatable head lice is not something you had anything to do with. Whatever life thing that happens to them doesn't affect their rent, utility bill, phone bill, etc. They have to pay ALL their bills when something happens to them.

The phone company isn't thinking that just because someone went out of town for a week for a death in the family that they shouldn't have to pay for the phone service. If they are providing the line then they get paid whether you are there to use it or not.
missnikki 12:12 PM 01-10-2011
Well, I can see how you are entitled to your payment and you should not be put in the position to ask for it. The fact that she has made a stink about it before tells you she is waiting for you to bring it up. She's not dumb, she's been around the block on this issue before, right?
Soooo, what I would do is at pickup today, pull her aside, and say quietly, "I need to talk to you about something- can you step over here for a moment?" when you have moved out of earshot of the kids, you say "I'm sure you are aware that your payment has not been received for last week. I'm going to need that to be handled right away- as you know the payment is needed before care is given and I was assuming I would have been paid today at pickup. So please have it ready tomorrow at drop off, and I'll waive the late payment fee." She's waiting for the confrontation, so she's going to say, "Blah blah excuse whine blah blah". Let her ramble. When she's done she will look at you with the stare of one thousand daggers, and you just say, "Well, if you want me to drop the late fee, as I said you will need to have that balance paid tomorrow at drop off." Short and sweet.
nikia 01:12 PM 01-10-2011
So I sent the mom a friendly reminder and her response was ill have to talk to you about at pick up. Wth. Between lice and this I'm fed up
nikia 01:17 PM 01-10-2011
I hate confrontation and I'm freaking now lol. Help
lvt77 01:43 PM 01-10-2011
did you get the letter....I hate conforntation too...I always find it eaiser to use the letter approach as an ice breaker.....I will then call them the day the note or email was sent and ask to discuss it...
This happened to me last month and I emailed a letter, followed it up with a phone call and said that I wanted to see how DCK was doing...Asked if they got my email and then just discussed it. Just let them know that this is not personal, its business..... That letter has always worked for me...
nikia 01:53 PM 01-10-2011
I did get the letter and thinks great but dcg is here today and mom will be here in 30 mins. Her response to my shortened version of the letter was I will talk to you about it pick up. Do I just say as nice as I can there isn't anything to talk about and have the signed contract handy? I have a feeling she is going blame lice in another family again and tell me she shouldn't have to pay. Ahhhhhhh. I hate this part of the job
lvt77 02:03 PM 01-10-2011
first of all, it is not your fault...its a part of daycare....people go to work sick all the time...do you think the boss is going to say since employee A got employee B sick that its the employers fault...
Remember you can only do so much....Can she prove it came from your house...I had a little girl that kept getting hand foot and mouth. She was the only one EVER to have it and the parents kept blaming me....I said well if she got if from here than this means someone else had to have had it and by law I am required to post it...they stopped talking..
This is your business stand frim and take control, you can do it...if you don't they will know that they can walk all over you and you will always be in these situations....

Again this is business not personal....She signed the contract, enforce it....
lvt77 02:07 PM 01-10-2011
one last thing... I do have in my contract 3 free sick or vaction days. They can be applied after 120 calendar days of year and must be used consecutively. They can not carry these days over each year. dont use them they lose them...
sick, use when requested by parents
vacation, can only use with advance notice.....also the child must not be present to use these free days..
nikia 02:12 PM 01-10-2011
Thank you for the advice. I just need my backbone in place.

I do not allow sick days or vacation. They only get free days if I cancel. I used to do free days but I had too many of the grandmas going to watch them today at least three times a week from some families.
lvt77 02:16 PM 01-10-2011
I also need a back bone and hate dealing with these types of situations..I just want everyone to be happy and always fear that someone will leave if I come off the wrong way..... I have learned that I don't need people who conflict with my rules and that I am the one in charge...We can't tell target how to run their stores or change the prices to benefit us......
Just practice what you are going to say before she comes...this helps me too...
Then have a nice relaxing cup or hot tea............or wine later when all the kids go home.....lmao........
nikia 02:20 PM 01-10-2011
It will be wine. Lol
lvt77 02:23 PM 01-10-2011
thata girl!!! lol
well let me know how it goes..... I'll keep my finger crossed for ya!!!!
juliebug 03:55 PM 01-10-2011
so how did it go?? i would def ask for payment its is hard and i feel bad too but look at all the extra cleaning you did becasue they had lice yes i would want payment!
momatheart 03:56 PM 01-10-2011
Ok want to know how did it go?
nikia 06:01 PM 01-10-2011
Well when the mom got here I had another parent here so she said she would call me later. I am so much better on the phone with stuff like this, they cant see my red face and shakes

So she called me about a hour ago and said that she would pay BUT didn't feel like she should because her child got lice from another child here. So I told her that I understood why she feels that way BUT it would be like saying another child got a cold from her child and then not charging that parent and it just becomes a cycle and I will not run my business like that. I said it better but you know what I'm getting at So then she goes on to tell me that if her child gets lice again she will pull her. I told her that is her choice. No one else has had it except for one girl who has had it twice, not every two weeks. I told I can only control what goes on in my home and I have treated everytime, I also continue to clean every night like lice has been here.

So I knew that somewhere she would pull the lice card, but honestly my family has not gotten it and I cannot control how people clean their homes or treat their homes if found. Its very frustrating for me.

But I get my money and if she pulls her it will be for the best I think at this point. Thank you once again ladies for all the support
lvt77 06:06 PM 01-10-2011
great job explaining it..... Kids are little germ pods....cute, sweet and germie...(is that a word spelling)........lol
juliebug 06:12 PM 01-10-2011
yeah glad you are getting your money.
dEHmom 05:04 AM 01-11-2011
I've heard this a million times before, and lice has gone through the schools and classes my child attends. Her and her friend both have never had lice, and I don't know if this is theory or fact, but they say

HAIRSPRAY!

Lice hate hairspray and won't go on a head if it has hairspray on it.
Boy or girl, spray a little hairspray on their hair before school/daycare. It helps to keep their hair tidy during the day, and apparently is a lice preventative. Try it!
Tags:lice, payment
Reply Up