Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone NOT Do Mother's/Father's Day Gifts?
bunnyslippers 05:18 AM 05-08-2013
I typically do them, but I am not feeling it this year. I just don't feel like putting out the time, effort and extra (although minoe) expense, when they are very rarely acknowledged.

I am feeling guilty, so probably will throw something together.

Thoughts?
canadiancare 05:20 AM 05-08-2013
I always do something but I have appreciative parents and the kids love it. I wouldn't hesitate to scrap it if I felt obligated.
Play Care 05:24 AM 05-08-2013
Yes, I always do something. I learned long ago that I am not doing this for the parents, but for the kids. They like to make something for their parent. We already do crafts anyway so it's not like I am doing extra.
On a side note, when I decide not to do what I normally do, I know I feel bad. Every year at Christmas I have a small open house for families. We do several crafts to display, sing songs, have a small snack and then I send them off. This past year with everything that happened (Newtown, the death of a friend, etc.) I wasn't feeling it. So I did bare bones and it was obvious. It actually made me feel worse

Now, I wouldn't spend lots of money on the gifts, and I make sure the kids are the ones making them. I'm not about to be up until all hours finishing a child's mother's day gift...
Luna 05:46 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Yes, I always do something. I learned long ago that I am not doing this for the parents, but for the kids.
This is what I was going to say. The kids love to create and give. I'm not really concerned whether or not the parents let me know how much they appreciate it. I do believe they thank their kids at the time of opening though!
lolaland 05:55 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I typically do them, but I am not feeling it this year. I just don't feel like putting out the time, effort and extra (although minoe) expense, when they are very rarely acknowledged.

Thoughts?
Hi bunnyslippers

I know exactly how you feel... I'm so glad I'm for the first time going to enjoy Mother's Day this year without having all the work this day represents for daycare providers. But I think you should still do something very little for the kids to give to their mothers... specially if you did it the previous years.

Last year I did with the kids this card that was so easy, inexpensive and adorable. I just let the kids paint a cardstock paper, let it dry, cut the purse shape and gave stickers for the kids to decorate the handle. Here's the link to better instructions.

http://spoonful.com/crafts/purse-onal-greetings

Happy mother's day Bunnyslippers
Attached: 1.jpg (67.0 KB) 2.jpg (43.1 KB) 
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 05-08-2013
I don't do ANY crafts/gifts etc for family related holidays such as Mother's, Father's Day or family member's birthdays.

If it can't be 100% inclusive then I don't do it at all.

I actually tend to stay away from "holiday" crafts all together.

My DCK's definitely get arts/craft time but not in connection with holidays unless THEY choose to do it.

I have done them in the past....so it isn't like I am anti-holiday or anything but it depends each year on my specific group of kids and what best meets their needs.
canadiancare 06:10 AM 05-08-2013
I should add that I only have 5 kids and they all have both parents. If it was a different situation I would skip rather than exclude. I also have children who celebrate the commercial "Christian" holidays so we do Christmas and Easter non-religious stuff. I have a great book from UNICEF with festivals for children so, while I have no multi-cultural kids we touch on a bunch of stuff for fun and learning.
wahmof3 06:14 AM 05-08-2013

Thoughts?
I'm not feeling it this year either. I always do something, usually something that is a step up from the normal crafty projects.

I am really debating on whether or not to do something this year. Problem is- my DCP are expecting it because I have set the standard in the past.

I know what you mean by rarely acknowledged too. This however is not my issue this year. I just don't want to do it

I will probably throw something together, but nothing elaborate. I like the purse card. I was thinking something similar. Making a card and having the DCK put painted thumb prints all over it and making butterflies and bees out of it.

Ugh. I just don't feel it.
bunnyslippers 06:15 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
Hi bunnyslippers

I know exactly how you feel... I'm so glad I'm for the first time going to enjoy Mother's Day this year without having all the work this day represents for daycare providers. But I think you should still do something very little for the kids to give to their mothers... specially if you did it the previous years.

Last year I did with the kids this card that was so easy, inexpensive and adorable. I just let the kids paint a cardboard paper, let it dry, cut the purse shape and gave stickers for the kids to decorate the handle. Here's the link to better instructions.

So cute, and pretty easy! Thanks for the link!
bunnyslippers 06:20 AM 05-08-2013
I just don't want to! I feel like a bratty kid, but I will do a little something. Probably the purse card. Father's Day...well, we'll see how the Mother's Day card is received....

Thanks guys!
nanglgrl 06:21 AM 05-08-2013
Sometimes I think I want to do something (especially when I see things like that cute purse card) but it ends up being a gift that's 90% made by me and 10% made by the child since mine are all in thier 2's.
Crystal 07:01 AM 05-08-2013
I don't.

Over the years there have been times when a child in care might have been excluded....if they don't have a mom/dad for whatever reason. If I cannot be 100% inclusive, I don't do it.....so I have found it is best (for Me) to not do ANY holidays with them.

No, I don't feel guilty about it
rmc20021 07:16 AM 05-08-2013
Hi bunnyslippers

Last year I did with the kids this card that was so easy, inexpensive and adorable. I just let the kids paint a cardstock paper, let it dry, cut the purse shape and gave stickers for the kids to decorate the handle. Here's the link to better instructions.

I'm stealing this idea...I don't have any card stock though, so I'm going to use foam board and use sticky backed velcro for the closure....Haven't decided how to decorate it though.
LaLa1923 07:18 AM 05-08-2013
Hi bunnyslippers

That was super nice of you!!!
countrymom 07:19 AM 05-08-2013
that was me last year. This year I did the handprint on the ceramic tiles. It all depends on my mood and the kids I have
bunnyslippers 07:42 AM 05-08-2013
I think it is b/c I am just so done in my head...I am closing in 31 more work days (but who's counting) and I am just emotionally checked out! I will make the purse cards, and I won't feel guilty for not doing something.

Father's Day is a week before I close...not so sure I will be making a gift for that! I am sure I will end up doing something.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 05-08-2013
I think it is b/c I am just so done in my head...I am closing in 31 more work days (but who's counting) and I am just emotionally checked out! I will make the purse cards, and I won't feel guilty for not doing something.

Father's Day is a week before I close...not so sure I will be making a gift for that! I am sure I will end up doing something.
In your situation and with closing day soooo close, I think you should have the DCK's color HUGE pictures that say "Happy Provider Appreciation Day!!" and hang them all over the bulletin boards......
Former Teacher 08:02 AM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I don't.

Over the years there have been times when a child in care might have been excluded....if they don't have a mom/dad for whatever reason. If I cannot be 100% inclusive, I don't do it.....so I have found it is best (for Me) to not do ANY holidays with them.

No, I don't feel guilty about it
At my former center we always did crafts for the holidays. Mothers Day, Father's Day etc. We never left a child out because of their family situation. For instance on Mother's Day we would make a gift for Grandma or a special Aunt. That way no one was left out. Like PP said: we did it for the children.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In your situation and with closing day soooo close, I think you should have the DCK's color HUGE pictures that say "Happy Provider Appreciation Day!!" and hang them all over the bulletin boards......

MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:50 AM 05-08-2013
I wasn't feeling it either but I had the kids paint today. I am going to cut out part of it and frame. I am going to trace their hand and put it on the back with the date.
Last year I did nothing. Don't know if I will do Father's Day...
JoseyJo 11:57 AM 05-08-2013
When we first started I would do these elaborate gifts for the parents for every holiday- I would spend hours getting everything ready, and hours finishing them up, while the kids spent all of 2 minutes on their part.

We still do crafts for every holiday (we do crafts at least 3 days a week anyway so no big deal) but now we do crafts that the kids can do at least 75% of and I feel a lot better about it. I think it feels more okay that they don't thank me- their child did most of the work so they can thank them!!

This year our dcks are all 3-5 yo so we did a cardstock card (just folded in half) with a fingerprint flower on the front (I made one to show them, they did all the work on theirs- even if it didn't end up looking like a flower!!) We drew pictures on the inside, and the older ones copied down the words Happy Mother's Day.

Tomorrow we are making shrinky dink necklaces- I bought the necklace chains (about 1.50 each), and I cut the shrinky dink plastic into circles I made one myself to make sure it worked and for an example (that was really fun and not even "work"!) Tomorrow they will design their shrinky dink, we will bake them, I will attach the jump ring and they will thread them onto the necklaces and wrap them. A little more of my work than I wanted, but over all they are doing a lot of the work themselves.
Michelle 12:12 PM 05-08-2013
We actually made 2 gifts..
We made this last week
http://www.orientaltrading.com/diy-w...odCatId=550710

and then I thought it wasn't nice enough to be the only gift, so we made the ceramic tile/hand prints because I have always done "over the top kind of stuff" I didn't want to just send home the first gift by itself.
e.j. 02:55 PM 05-08-2013
I used to have the kids make gifts for their parents but it was getting too expensive to keep up. Now I work with the kids to make keepsake cards for their parents. They usually include either a picture, handprint or footprint, a poem and maybe a drawing done by the child. It can be a lot of work but the kids enjoy doing them and I don't get too upset when I spot them trashed on the floor of the family car because at least they weren't that expensive to make!
lolaland 03:48 PM 05-08-2013
I had this family of teachers... they stayed with me for 2 years until I closed my daycare 1 month ago.
These parents were very serious, almost “cold”... no smiles, no sharing stories, never a thank you no matter how adorable and time consuming were the “stuff” their kid brought home every Friday... every time I was near these parents they somehow made me feel I was not good enough.

They had been with me for about one year when their kid celebrated his 2nd birthday and for my surprise they gave me an invitation to the boy's party. I debated for a long time if I should go to the house of a family that for an entire year had been so distant and formal with me. I decided to go!

It was Summer time and the party was outside in their huge fancy yard. The first half of the party I regretted accepting the invitation and felt completely abandoned (except by the boy that would never leave my side)... then I asked if I could go in their house to use the restroom.

I went in the house all by myself... and I had tears in my eyes when I saw every and all of this boy's crafts and projects made in my daycare showcased with pride all over the entire house!!!! Even in the main room chandelier there was crafts hanging from the crystal ornaments. It was emotional and a lesson I learned.
Little Star75 06:15 PM 05-08-2013
I think I'm going to do this one this year.

http://www.bhg.com/holidays/mothers-...r-kids/#page=7
spud912 06:36 PM 05-08-2013
I had this family of teachers... they stayed with me for 2 years until I closed my daycare 1 month ago.
These parents were very serious, almost “cold”... no smiles, no sharing stories, never a thank you no matter how adorable and time consuming were the “stuff” their kid brought home every Friday... every time I was near these parents they somehow made me feel I was not good enough.

They had been with me for about one year when their kid celebrated his 2nd birthday and for my surprise they gave me an invitation to the boy's party. I debated for a long time if I should go to the house of a family that for an entire year had been so distant and formal with me. I decided to go!

It was Summer time and the party was outside in their huge fancy yard. The first half of the party I regretted accepting the invitation and felt completely abandoned (except by the boy that would never leave my side)... then I asked if I could go in their house to use the restroom.

I went in the house all by myself... and I had tears in my eyes when I saw every and all of this boy's crafts and projects made in my daycare showcased with pride all over the entire house!!!! Even in the main room chandelier there was crafts hanging from the crystal ornaments. It was emotional and a lesson I learned.
Aww that's really great!!! I love to hear stories like that!
JoseyJo 07:12 PM 05-08-2013

Love This!!!
williams2008 03:20 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Sometimes I think I want to do something (especially when I see things like that cute purse card) but it ends up being a gift that's 90% made by me and 10% made by the child since mine are all in thier 2's.
I decided that I wasn't doing anything this year for the simple fact that I will be the one doing all the work since all of my kids except one is 2 and under, but then I saw this and thought how cute!
http://christinasadventures.com/2011...-jar-vase.html
e.j. 04:51 PM 05-09-2013

That's so cool! I love the fact that the boy didn't leave your side, too. He must have loved you very much.
Sugar Magnolia 05:48 PM 05-09-2013
We didn't last year.....my husband's mom died a couple days before Mothers Day. And his dad had died ON Mothers Day several years before. He just wasn't up to it.
But this year we are painting picture frames.
DaisyMamma 03:41 AM 05-10-2013
I made these:
http://athriftymom.com/finger-print-...hers-day-card/

I have no concern as to if it is "enough" or not, seeing as I'm sure I won't even get a "thank you" today, Provider Appreciation Day.
My3cents 04:53 AM 05-10-2013
Being a mother myself- I would love if my child made something or my daycare provider sent my child home with something esp for me on mothers day.

I do things because I want to do them and not to get a thank you or anything out of it.

Everyone participates and if they don't have a Mom, it is made for the parents they do have. If they don't believe in the holiday then it is something they made for the day. I don't try to sell my beliefs onto someone else but I am not going to stop my beliefs because of someone else I just try to tweak them to make everyone happy or at least try. If I don't....oh well.
Meeko 05:19 AM 05-10-2013
I have 16 daycare kids. So IF I do anything, I keep it VERY simple. I don't have the time to work on 16 fancy projects. If I only had 4 or 5 kids, I would probably do more.

For Mothers Day, we are baking some cookies together and putting them in pretty cellophane bags. That's it.
sharlan 05:38 AM 05-10-2013
I had things planned to do - I'm very good at that, just not good at actually doing it.
Michelle 06:06 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Being a mother myself- I would love if my child made something or my daycare provider sent my child home with something esp for me on mothers day.

I do things because I want to do them and not to get a thank you or anything out of it.

Everyone participates and if they don't have a Mom, it is made for the parents they do have. If they don't believe in the holiday then it is something they made for the day. I don't try to sell my beliefs onto someone else but I am not going to stop my beliefs because of someone else I just try to tweak them to make everyone happy or at least try. If I don't....oh well.

I keep thinking about how disappointed some moms would be if they didn't get a single gift for Mothers Day..... some moms don't have a dh to go out with their kids to get something for mom and the gift/card from day care may be the only thing they get.
It doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate
I go a little crazy because this is my favorite holiday but to exclude everyone because one person may not believe in it is not fair to the rest of the group.
It's pretty easy to just let kids color a card and write" Happy Mother's Day" on top or " I Love My Mom"
Jewels 06:13 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
We actually made 2 gifts..
We made this last week
http://www.orientaltrading.com/diy-w...odCatId=550710

and then I thought it wasn't nice enough to be the only gift, so we made the ceramic tile/hand prints because I have always done "over the top kind of stuff" I didn't want to just send home the first gift by itself.
I love oriental, thats where my mothers day stuff comes from, I did those flower pots a couple years ago, they all loved them, but I was a little sad, because my husband for some reason thought the ones my kids made were for grandma so she was here and he gave them to her! which is fine she has them, but I was pretty sad about that since they turned out really cute and I wanted them ones of my kids.
Michelle 06:24 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I love oriental, thats where my mothers day stuff comes from, I did those flower pots a couple years ago, they all loved them, but I was a little sad, because my husband for some reason thought the ones my kids made were for grandma so she was here and he gave them to her! which is fine she has them, but I was pretty sad about that since they turned out really cute and I wanted them ones of my kids.
I love oriental t.c. too
especially for grad parties or baby showers etc.
KnoxMom 06:24 AM 05-10-2013

Thoughts?
I plan on doing a standard project yearly. Muffins for Moms on Mother's Day and Donuts for Dad on Father's Day. I am a small in-home provider so I only have to buy or make half a dozen of each. For the project, the children make a muffin out of paper, we use cotton balls for frosting and glitter for sprinkles. They love it! For dad, it's a similar deal using different items. I tie it to the box with the actual muffin or donut inside and we write a message on the back. Kids are happy, parents are appreciative and I feel good knowing I made an effort because I would want the same. It really doesn't take any longer than our typical projects in the art studio. Maybe you'll get inspired later
Jewels 06:34 AM 05-10-2013
I do not expect thank you's for the stuff the kids make, I expect the parents to be super thankful to their child, the child after all is the one giving the gift, I know all my parents love the stuff their children make and truly show it to their child, and thats whats important how special the child feels when they give their parent the gift and the big smile and hug and the feeling the child gets from seeing someone so happy from receiving a gift from them, this is such a great feeling for them and so important in seeing how great it is to give something, not just receive something, just last night I went into walmart with my husband and my kids, my son is in kindergarten, and we passed the flowers and he immediately asked for his allowance early this week, I said why do you need it early, and he whispered to his dad " I want to buy mommy those flowers for mothers day with my own money only from me"
I had tears in my eyes I was soo proud of him and his pure want to make me happy, and he has been so excited all week to bring home his "masterpiece" at school he is making me for mothers day, and I honestly never would think to thank the teacher for whatever he is making me, as he is making it for me, but then again I don't see her everyday, however my son did make her a card this week and we gave her a caribou gift card for teacher appreciation, and I've emailed her thank you's throughout the year.......I don't think most dads are great about thinking to sit down and have their kids make something for mommy(some are but I think most aren't) and I think its kind of sad if a kid has nothing special made by them for mommy , as they are missing an extra learning opportunity.
Jewels 06:37 AM 05-10-2013
I love oriental t.c. too
especially for grad parties or baby showers etc.
Yes my daughters birthday is this weekend and her birthday party stuff all from there.
MsMe 07:19 AM 05-10-2013
I didn't want to to but pulled together a construction paper flower with reason they loved their Mom....I have large group and about halpf of the them are 4 and up so they really had a great time with it. It evolved into a laminated flower, tissue paper, and pack of flower seeds in a clay pot. We decorated white lunch bags to wrap them in and it looks really nice.

I feel like I should start working on Father's Day because I forget EVERY year! UGH
momofsix 07:46 AM 05-10-2013
We have done Mother's day gifts every year-usually something with handprints. The moms always love them and usually post pics on facebook of them This year It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I totally forgot it was Mother's day! OOPS! No gifts for moms this year. I have great families and they will all totally understand, but I still feel bad about it.
MyAngels 07:50 AM 05-10-2013
Oops, posted in the wrong thread.
Jewels 08:34 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
We have done Mother's day gifts every year-usually something with handprints. The moms always love them and usually post pics on facebook of them This year It's been a crazy couple of weeks and I totally forgot it was Mother's day! OOPS! No gifts for moms this year. I have great families and they will all totally understand, but I still feel bad about it.
This happened to me on fathers day last year!
wahmof3 09:04 AM 05-10-2013
Ugh. This is why I "didn't want to do a mother's day" craft:

I decided to "throw" something together. ONLY because I knew my DCP are expecting something.

Here is what I did:

Pipe cleaners
cheerios
ribbon
small note/tag

My group size today is 3 and is mainly 3 y/o. Of those 3: DCG- 1 and DCB- 2

Easy project- string cheerios on 3 pipe cleaners and I link them together in the shape of a heart.

Cute and easy.

Here is how it went:

not even half way through the first pipe cleaner-

"I'm tired"
"I'm sweaty"
"My arm hurts"
"Can I finish it later?"
"I'm tired"
"My arm really hurts"
"I'm sticky"

lolaland 09:42 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:

I decided to "throw" something together. ONLY because I knew my DCP are expecting something.

Here is what I did:

Pipe cleaners
cheerios
ribbon
small note/tag

Easy project- string cheerios on 3 pipe cleaners and I link them together in the shape of a heart.

Cute and easy.

Here is how it went:

"I'm tired"
"I'm sweaty"
"My arm hurts"
"Can I finish it later?"
"I'm tired"
"My arm really hurts"
"I'm sticky"

Last year, I had the opposite experience of yours! Besides the card, we also made a present... unlike yours, my kids were extremely quite, an absolute silence!! Guess what was the present??!! We made chocolate truffles!!!! !!!!

...Mother's received in a pretty box the truffles that "survived"...
My3cents 09:48 AM 05-10-2013

I keep thinking about how disappointed some moms would be if they didn't get a single gift for Mothers Day..... some moms don't have a dh to go out with their kids to get something for mom and the gift/card from day care may be the only thing they get.
It doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate
I go a little crazy because this is my favorite holiday but to exclude everyone because one person may not believe in it is not fair to the rest of the group.
It's pretty easy to just let kids color a card and write" Happy Mother's Day" on top or " I Love My Mom"
ditto right back at ya.

Some Mothers have Dad's that just don't bother to get something or do something. I have been out and about and heard fathers say, she is not my mother- how sad. What a crummy attitude to have.

If I had 16 kids, I would just start earlier to prepare for it and have my assistants help.
My3cents 10:01 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:

Here is what I did:

Pipe cleaners
cheerios
ribbon
small note/tag

Cute and easy.

Here is how it went:

"I'm tired" me too, this is hard work making this so nice for mom
"I'm sweaty" yes it is hot
"My arm hurts" let me see, it looks fine to me but maybe your using some different muscles making this beautiful for mom
"Can I finish it later?" no this is the time we have to do this right now, let's work hard and make it nice for mom
"I'm tired" me too
"My arm really hurts" try giving it a stretch out and see if that helps
"I'm sticky" me too, I wonder if this is going to be sticky for mom too

could have had them just color a "card" that said happy moms day on it......if your not gung ho about doing it, the kids will feed right off of you.

I see all of those statements as learning moments. We don't always do what makes "us" happy we need to think of others. I would make sure whatever your doing is age appropriate for the little's to do. If doing a project is not your thing having the kids color a card or page would be nice too. It doesn't have to be big.

Everyone has to do things the way that is best for them. I am just saying how I feel- I am appreciative of these Mom's for working so hard so that they bring their child to me. I see it as provider to family connections too-
cheerfuldom 10:36 AM 05-10-2013
We are doing belated gifts for moms because I ran out of time. I keep things simple, I have WAY too much to do to worry about the daycare moms. I put something together for my kids to give to me so they can too. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it is what it is. If they really care about having crafts and things to remember their kids childhood by, get on pinterest and do some crafts with your own kids. build memories on your own. you dont have to wait for your daycare provider to do it. I can understand parents enjoying the surprise. What I don't understand is parents that are complaining about their provider not doing more....as if only a provider can put out paper and art supplies.
jenn 01:49 PM 05-10-2013
I do projects for Valentines, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. I do not do Mother's day or Father's day, because that excludes some kids. We do random arts and crafts throughout the year and a lot of open ended art creations.
Tags:craft - idea samples, crafts, mother's day ideas
Reply Up