Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>What Should I Do?
daycare 12:43 PM 04-10-2012
So the company that I hired to do my taxes did a horrible job and I don't want them to file them for me. I also realized that I have several missing items that I needed to add to my deductions.

Well, there is no way that I can do them before the 15th. My husband has his all ready to go. Should we just file his separate as married, and then I can file for an extension??

Or should I file for an extension on both of ours and file together?

Thanks Tom
wdmmom 01:04 PM 04-10-2012
Based on the little bit that I know, I would suggest setting up an appointment with a CPA to sit down and get your taxes prepared correctly and get all the deductions you are entitled to.

In order to receive the maximum return, it has been my experience that filing married jointly is the way to go.

If you need an extension, I'm sure your new CPA could help you with that.

Good luck!
MyAngels 08:32 PM 04-10-2012
Since you have a pretty good idea at this point what your tax return will look like, just file an extension for both of you by April 17th, and then get your taxes done and filed when they are correct. If you think you will owe taxes you still need to pay them by April 17th, with the extension.
Michael 12:09 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Since you have a pretty good idea at this point what your tax return will look like, just file an extension for both of you by April 17th, and then get your taxes done and filed when they are correct. If you think you will owe taxes you still need to pay them by April 17th, with the extension.
Yes this ^
TomCopeland 09:25 AM 04-11-2012
Definitely file an extension for both - don't file separately (you will pay more in taxes if you do). Here's an article I wrote about filing an extension: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/...extension.html
daycare 11:01 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Definitely file an extension for both - don't file separately (you will pay more in taxes if you do). Here's an article I wrote about filing an extension: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/...extension.html
thank you tom
Tags:tax filing - extension, tax preparation
Reply Up