Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Lice ?
JJPlaycare 05:02 AM 09-03-2010
I had a mom tell me this am that her son was exposed to head lice, he doesn't currently have it, but she said it takes two weeks for them to hatch out!

They went to a twins game last Thursday with her entire family and her aunt put her hat on my daycare child! Yesterday her aunt found out that her and her two daughters all have head lice!!

EEK! I am not sure what to do, I have not had to deal with this! DCM said they did do a lice shampoo treatment last night and it says to repeat it in 10 days, but I am just not sure how to handle this! He DOESN'T currently have it, but at the same time I feel like I am waiting for him to get it and then it will probably be to late! What to do?????
safechner 05:30 AM 09-03-2010
Have you checked into your daycare boy's hair? If so, I don't understand why she thinks he have it. If he does have it then I would shave his hair to get eggs/lice off once then you dont have to worry about that.. It will grow back fast before you know it.
Bizzymom1111 05:54 AM 09-03-2010
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
I had a mom tell me this am that her son was exposed to head lice, he doesn't currently have it, but she said it takes two weeks for them to hatch out!

They went to a twins game last Thursday with her entire family and her aunt put her hat on my daycare child! Yesterday her aunt found out that her and her two daughters all have head lice!!

EEK! I am not sure what to do, I have not had to deal with this! DCM said they did do a lice shampoo treatment last night and it says to repeat it in 10 days, but I am just not sure how to handle this! He DOESN'T currently have it, but at the same time I feel like I am waiting for him to get it and then it will probably be to late! What to do?????
I have had my cosmetology license for 10 years, and have seen lice quite a bit. If he has no adult lice on him- you would be able to see them when checked his head-they're fast though- then check for nits. Those are the eggs the female louse lays on the hair shaft. You will know they are nits if you try to pull them off with your thumbnail, and they don't budge.
They are on the hair shaft pretty good. Look behind the ears, and towards the top off thehead, close to the scalp. If he
has no nits, he's fine. If he does-he needs to be sent home immediately and you should not let him return until he has
been through the whole round of treatments and cleared by a nurse or Dr. Lice is VERY hard to get rid of, and running a daycare, you don't need that. I would also clean your house thoroughly with bleach and water, and vacuum like crazy. Hope this helps! Good luck, and don't feel bad if he has to stay home if he does have it. Trust me, you don't want lice in your home!
MarinaVanessa 09:19 AM 09-03-2010
I agree, check for lice anyway and if you don't see any check for nits as well. They are small little whitish/creamish balls that are attached to the base of the hair. If you see anything like this in his head and really want to know for sure if it's a nit or just dandruff pick one out by pinching the base of the single hair between your finger nails and pull the hair until you pull the little round ball out. Then put it on your thumb fingernail and squeeze the ball between your thumb fingernails. If it pops, it's a nit. Gross I know .

If you see any signs send him how immediately and check the other kids. Wash all bedding, clothing, vacuum carpets and disinfect surfaces that the kid has come in contact with.
JJPlaycare 11:32 AM 09-03-2010
Yes I have definately checked, right away this am- first thing I did! I don't see anything and he has darker hair, so you think I would, but he is a wiggle worm, so I looked as good as I could, is all I saw was a little like cradle cap stuff! I don't know it has been a week since he was exposed pretty sure it would have hatched out by now if it was going too and I definately don't think it has hatched because I have seen nothing and haven't noticed anything! Ahhh I have the heeby jeebys, I feel like I have bugs crawling all over me! LOL His mom did a treatment more as a precautionary thing - that is all and was just letting me know that he was exposed!

Thanks for all of the advice, it is greatly appreciated!! Hopefully I don't have to update you guys on lice, am hoping we just don't have an outbreak!
caitlin 03:50 PM 09-03-2010
Give his mom a pat on the back for letting you know he came into contact with it.
TGT09 05:19 PM 09-03-2010
Yeah, I would continue to check him daily for the next week though just to be safe. I do think you are lucky though that mom copped to him being exposed. It's better to be safe than sorry. My niece battled lice for 12 weeks (yes, this was her mom's fault though).
Crystal 05:45 PM 09-03-2010
Yep. I'd be checking him a few times a day. I'd also be thoroughly vacuuming daily-even twice daily, washing bedding daily, making sure any and all of his extra articles of clothing/blankets/stuffed animals are separate from the other children's (they all should be not touching one another anyway) and temporarily remove any stuffed animals, extra blankies, hats, fabric chairs/cushions, etc. out of the play area or anywhere else the children use them for the next couple of weeks - minimum.

Just be very proactive of preventing an outbreak with all of the children if he does end up with it. Be VIGILANT about it. I have dealt with the same situation, and NONE of my 13 other children got head lice, even though the original child DID end up with it, briefly.

Good luck!!!!
QualiTcare 10:41 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yep. I'd be checking him a few times a day. I'd also be thoroughly vacuuming daily-even twice daily, washing bedding daily, making sure any and all of his extra articles of clothing/blankets/stuffed animals are separate from the other children's (they all should be not touching one another anyway) and temporarily remove any stuffed animals, extra blankies, hats, fabric chairs/cushions, etc. out of the play area or anywhere else the children use them for the next couple of weeks - minimum.

Just be very proactive of preventing an outbreak with all of the children if he does end up with it. Be VIGILANT about it. I have dealt with the same situation, and NONE of my 13 other children got head lice, even though the original child DID end up with it, briefly.

Good luck!!!!
like the others said, check his hair daily. you will KNOW if you see a nit - even if you've never seen one before. if you see something whiteish in color sticking to the hair and you squeeze it between your nails, it'll pop. either way, i won't fall off like dandruff or lint - it'll STICK to the hair.

putting gel and/or hairspray in the hair helps protect against it. i put hairspray in my son's hair every day before he goes to preschool.
dEHmom 06:55 AM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
like the others said, check his hair daily. you will KNOW if you see a nit - even if you've never seen one before. if you see something whiteish in color sticking to the hair and you squeeze it between your nails, it'll pop. either way, i won't fall off like dandruff or lint - it'll STICK to the hair.

putting gel and/or hairspray in the hair helps protect against it. i put hairspray in my son's hair every day before he goes to preschool.
I've heard the hairspray thing before, and I've mentioned it.

I'm totally itching like crazy right now, and swear there is things crawling on my head!!!! GAWD I HATE BUG TALK!!!

I'm freaking out right now and totally tempted to just do treatments on my whole family. I swear maybe we have a lice infestation but there's no bugs in hair, and the "dandruff" moves if you comb the kids hair. So it's not like it's glued.

I'm freaking!

And i don't think anyone sells those robi combs or anything where I live. Just the chemicals.
youretooloud 07:02 AM 03-09-2011
Lice don't like Tea Tree oil. It won't get rid of them if you have it, but it makes your hair less attractive. If you have tea tree oil, you can start putting it in your shampoo, and rubbing a little bit on your hair, and the hair of your own kids to make the lice stay on the head they already like.

He may not even get lice.. Mom is already treating it in case he did, and I bet you guys are safe. But, I'd still do the lice repellent anyway.
youretooloud 07:08 AM 03-09-2011
http://www.ehow.com/way_5676563_home...air-spray.html
Home made head lice repellent.
jessrlee 08:26 AM 03-09-2011
Go to the pharmacy and get a Licemeister comb. The teeth ate so fine they pull nits right out. I use it to do lice checks in the daycare. It even pulls the little clear ones that are impossible to see. Beyond that just keep up on the vacuming and encourage mom to put gel in his hair every morning.
Kaddidle Care 08:34 AM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by caitlin:
Give his mom a pat on the back for letting you know he came into contact with it.
Me too!

Since they treated him immediately and didn't wait to see signs, I'm thinking you're pretty safe. If you see him scratch his head though - check him! I'd sneak a peak at least every other day anyway for a week or so.
rockrocky 09:04 AM 03-06-2013
Well I got treat from here: http://headlicenomore.com/blog/a-loo...ce-treatments/ you should also try it. I hope it will work for you.
Tags:head lice, lice, lice removal, lice treatment
Reply Up