Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Job Offer I Can't Pass Up, But Not Able To Give Families Contracted Notice
Unregistered 01:30 PM 01-20-2014
I was offered a job opportunity that I cannot afford to pass up, only problem is I won't be able to give families more than 2 weeks notice and my contract calls for 4. One family hasn't started, one I'm terminating anyway, but it have one I really like and have a personal relationship with that I don't want to ruin. With this last family I was thinking of refunding their deposit and giving them their last 2 weeks free to make up for the inconvenience. How does this sound?
Cat Herder 01:50 PM 01-20-2014
What does your policy say?

It sounds reasonable (if not overboard), but I don't know what is expected of them if the tables were turned....
lovemykidstoo 01:50 PM 01-20-2014
I'm sure they will understand and probably won't accept the 2 weeks refund. What's the new job?
cheerfuldom 03:02 PM 01-20-2014
if you ever get back into daycare, dont put in rules in your contract that tie you down. I would never guarantee four weeks notice. I put that I will give two weeks if possible but reserve the right to term at any time for any reason at my discretion aka, no guarantees.
Heidi 03:53 PM 01-20-2014
I would honestly give them the two weeks and apologize. Why would you do care for free? You can be nice and you can be sorry for the inconvenience, but don't get carried away! It's just an inconvenience.

It'd be different if they'd prepaid the four weeks. THEN, you'd need to refund the later two weeks. But, you're simply no longer providing a service, so as long as they haven't paid for it, it's fine.
TwinKristi 05:11 PM 01-20-2014
I agree with the notice thing... I've noticed that with some providers. I have in my contract I can term at any time, no notice needed, but THEY need to give me 2wks paid notice. Don't ever obligate yourself for a month to people! You just never know.
Good luck! I agree 2wks is enough notice.
itlw8 07:35 PM 01-20-2014
two weeks is enough you tell them it is all paid for with their deposit Free care will not help them find care faster. instead call everyone you know to check out openings for them
Laurel 01:24 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
if you ever get back into daycare, dont put in rules in your contract that tie you down. I would never guarantee four weeks notice. I put that I will give two weeks if possible but reserve the right to term at any time for any reason at my discretion aka, no guarantees.

Me too but I go a step further. They don't have to give me any notice (although I tell them I would appreciate if they do) and I don't have to give them notice (although I will). You never know what is going to come up and I don't want to be tied down to something I agreed on. I figure what is the big deal with 2 weeks of pay in the grand scheme of things? I'd rather have a little saved aside then have to be in a situation I don't like for even two weeks.

Laurel
BBDC 06:10 AM 01-21-2014
Give them some other options for daycare if you know of any. That would help!
Tags:notice - 30 day, notice of closure
Reply Up