Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Meals
mamamanda 12:20 PM 06-03-2014
Do you change your lunch menus for the summer time, or do you do about the same as you would during the rest of the year? I usually make a protein, grain, veggie, and fruit. I would still want to include all of those, but I'm thinking more along the lines of meals that don't require as much cooking instead of hot meals. I just hate heating up the oven in the summer. If you do something different, what kinds of meals do you make? A few things I've thought of include pasta salad, chicken salad, blt's, etc. Ideas are appreciated. Oh, I don't know if it makes a big difference, but I'm not licensed right now although I am looking into that. I don't currently have enough children to require licensing, but I'm thinking that would be a good idea anyway just to keep things more professional. Are there requirements on having hot meals based on state licensing requirements?
NeedaVaca 12:30 PM 06-03-2014
Here's a similar thread with some ideas

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70613
KSDC 12:45 PM 06-03-2014
I definitely use my oven WAAAAY less in the summer. In Kansas at least, we are not required to serve hot meals. As long as all the meal components are there.
And, the hot meals I do make, seldom use the oven in the summer. I use my George Foreman grill a lot for burgers and chicken. We had chili soup in my crock pot for lunch today. Or quick stir fry type meals on the stove top.
craftymissbeth 01:16 PM 06-03-2014
I just changed my rotating menu out and I'm working on my summer menu. I have mostly under 3's so I do mostly super simple meals. Not very many components have more than one ingredient.
itlw8 03:32 PM 06-03-2014
my kids do not do sandwiches well but cubed meat goes over well. ham chicken breast.

BLT not a great choice as the bacon is all fat and nitrates THOUGH yummy

tuna salad , egg salad, But I pretty much do the same all year except much more fresh fruits and veggies in the summer. Though I do not bake lunch in the oven that often anyway.
midaycare 07:22 PM 06-03-2014
Summer is my easiest time because of all the available food.

Always a fruit, a veggie, a protein, a grain, sometimes an extra something. Ex. today we had raspberries, thinly sliced chicken breast, carrots, whole grain crackers, and cheese slices. If they wanted to, the older ones could make "lunchables".

Tomorrow's lunch is mango, homemade mac & cheese with broccoli, thin ham slices
nothingwithoutjoy 07:44 PM 06-03-2014
My summer menu is very different. Lots more raw veggies, lots more fruit, and way less cooking. The kids come with me to pick up our farm share, and help make some of the decisions about what I'll get. What we get is the basis of our meals and I work around those ingredients.
TaylorTots 08:16 PM 06-03-2014
I find my biggest change in menus in the summer is we eat more whole grain pasta meals (fills them up well after burning lots of energy) and our morning snack tends to just be a bunch of fruit outside (watermelon is an obvious go to). I'm not on the food program though -- I still try to keep my meals to the food program guidelines mostly.
Meyou 02:20 AM 06-04-2014
I almost never use my oven in the summer so my menu is very different from the rest of the year. We go to a local beach almost daily so I pack a picnic for it. Main lunch components are: sandwiches, cold pizza, breadsticks/dip, tortilla wraps, naan/dip, crackers/cheese/tuna/egg/pb, cold pasta salad, potato salad. I always add fresh veggies and hummus, fresh fruit and cheese or yogurt if it isn't included in the main.

I rarely feed my DCK's meat although they eat fish once per week.
mamamanda 04:55 AM 06-04-2014
I should mention I use turkey bacon for the blt's so its not fatty, but I hadn't thought about there being nitrates in it. I should check into that. Thanks for the ideas!
Unregistered 06:29 AM 06-04-2014
The only hot meals we have in the summer is pizza on friday.
Summer meals consist of turkey or ham sandwiches,peanut butter roll ups,cottage cheese,egg salad,chicken salad,tuna salad,hummus,salads with cold turkey or chicken.
Every once in awhile we may have a grilled cheese or panini sandwich.
I add a grain,fruit and a vegetable and we're set.
I love summer menu planning!
nothingwithoutjoy 10:52 AM 06-04-2014
Here's my favorite new summer snack: banana ice cream. We eat almost exclusively local produce, but recently made an exception for bananas (b/c they're one of my daughter's favorites). So I only just discovered this idea, which maybe everyone already knows...blending a frozen banana up in the food processor turns it into something very closely resembling ice cream. You can add all sorts of add-ins. We did blueberry-banana the other day. Next, I'm going to do some with peanut butter to add some protein. The kids are thrilled at the crazy idea of having ice cream for snack, but it's got no added sugar.
craftymissbeth 11:05 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Here's my favorite new summer snack: banana ice cream. We eat almost exclusively local produce, but recently made an exception for bananas (b/c they're one of my daughter's favorites). So I only just discovered this idea, which maybe everyone already knows...blending a frozen banana up in the food processor turns it into something very closely resembling ice cream. You can add all sorts of add-ins. We did blueberry-banana the other day. Next, I'm going to do some with peanut butter to add some protein. The kids are thrilled at the crazy idea of having ice cream for snack, but it's got no added sugar.
That sounds awesome! I wonder if a banana will freeze in an hour and a half. Banana is on the menu for snack today.
melilley 11:09 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
That sounds awesome! I wonder if a banana will freeze in an hour and a half. Banana is on the menu for snack today.
Just make sure you peal and cut them first. I saw this idea on our local station once, but didn't peel or cut the bananas and it was a pain...lol
craftymissbeth 11:12 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Just make sure you peal and cut them first. I saw this idea on our local station once, but didn't peel or cut the bananas and it was a pain...lol
I peeled them and cut them in half and threw them in a Ziploc bag. Hopefully they're not too big... my food processor is itty bitty.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:24 AM 07-02-2014
Today's lunch was so pretty and simple and perfect for this hot weather, that I just had to share. It's my ideal summer "cooking"--none.

Chick peas (from a can; I'm taking short-cuts this year due to family stress)
snow peas (picked ourselves at our CSA)
mulberries (gathered with the kids yesterday from a neighborhood tree)
coleslaw.

(And yes, I'm aware there's no grain. I don't do the food program, and my kids eat lots more vegetables when I don't serve a grain with them.)
AmyKidsCo 03:00 PM 07-02-2014
I have 16 weeks of menus - 4 weeks per season. They incorporate seasonal fruits and veggies and have less cooking during the summer and more baking/comfort foods in the winter.
Reply Up