Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minimizing Toys
TwinMama 01:29 PM 03-20-2017
I'm trying to minimize toys in my daycare area. Definitely keeping blocks and the pretend kitchen.

What toys do you always keep in your area?
daycarediva 02:29 PM 03-20-2017
I rotate everything all the time. There is no constant. Something of each 'category' blocks, small manipulatives, pretend play.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:25 PM 03-20-2017
Everything gets rotated except phones and binoculars because who knows when you will need to call someone or look for something! That being said usually the kitchen stays in place and the "market" has been back there several months but what is in them changes. Now, if they ask for a specific toy and I can accommodate that I do. But, something else will disappear that night I try not to grow too much back there.

I am busy reorganizing my "other stuff" to simplify life. I am getting rid of stuff that I don't reach for often. I feel like I keep a lot of stuff that has "potential" but haven't done anything with. Simplify my word of the year.
DaveA 03:57 AM 03-21-2017
Aside the book corner pretty much everything gets rotated in/ out. I just make sure there's a variety and not too many of one type of toys.
childcaremom 04:16 AM 03-21-2017
I have bare minimum.

Wooden blocks, magna tiles, magnetic blocks (tegu).

Magnets and magnet board.

Play kitchen and food. Dress up accessories

Books and puzzles.

Wooden cars and vehicles. Bridges and ramps.

Little people sets

Legos

Soft toys (cloth animals, balls, trees, etc)

Wooden toys (variety of stacking things, animals, people, playsets)

And that's it in the play area. Everything is used and it feels so much better in here and clean up is much easier for the children. I used to rotate toys but now don't bother. I got tired of storing it all and changing things up. I have found that the group finds new ways to use the toys every time they get them out so it isn't necessary.
JackandJill 04:19 AM 03-21-2017
I had to minimize the daycare clutter, and I wish I had done it sooner.

I have a cubby unit, with 10 cubbies. I put six baskets of toys in there, two shelves are for books and 1 shelf for music instruments and 1 shelf for art supplies. Toy baskets are broken up into categories: blocks, things that go, puzzles, little people accessories, kitchen accessories and miscellaneous.

I kept the play kitchen, arts and crafts table and 3 little people buildings.

I have so much less fighting over toys and so much more imaginative play than I did when everyone was hoarding toys. Who knows, maybe it's just that my group has hit a sweet spot and has nothing to do with the toys, but right now things are running really smoothly!!
Reply Up