Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Were A New Provider, Were You Flexible Or Strict
trix23 08:56 AM 08-20-2017
I still am having trouble with enrollment and I'm not sure why... I have strict rules that I enforce because they are important to me.

But is the fact that I'm new and strict shoot me in the foot? I also recently got a negative review online in 2 prominent places because I put her on probation for numerous policy violations and she pulled same-day. Paid late 3x in 8 weeks and expected me to allow her a late payment without a fee.

Are parents just ridiculous these days or what?

How do you retain clients? My longest enrollment was 4 months....
storybookending 09:28 AM 08-20-2017
A little bit of both. I was strict on a lot of things such as no toys from home, no late pick ups or payments and things she like that. I just started last year. My first families do not pay for their days off or holidays. Each new family I sign now has 10 free days per year and the rest must be paid.
Mom2Two 12:39 PM 08-20-2017
I was flexible partly because I didn't know any better and partly because I knew I would need to be to build up my business.

My first family were friends of friends, which put some social pressure on them to behave a little bit, but other than that, she was a pain and when she quit she owed me a little money.

By that time, I'd started reading advice online and worked out prepayment for all my next families.

Payment in advance is definitely my #1 policy and sick policy is my #2.

Most policies can be explained in a way that shows it's in the clients' best interest. If you explain issues face to face then it can help. Unless the parent is just plain crazy.

One explanation I've used is that this job can be stresssful at times and I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't manage how things run. I don't want to hate my job--I'd go and do something else if I couldn't manage things well.

But I was flexible on stuff like my 2nd family I agreed to do K transport (we have half days here for K). I was flexible on my hours. That stuff is kinda hard, but it can make the difference on building a clientele, meanwhile you rack up the number of years you've been doing this.

But I didn't need a full time income the first few years, which also made a difference.
Annalee 02:04 PM 08-20-2017
I was too lenient in the beginning. I worked 8 longgggg years before I met some really great providers that steered me in the right direction. Within two years of meeting them I gained control from a business standpoint and it made all the difference. They led me step by step, sometimes baby steps, but each step I gained a little more confidence. It didn't come without it's hardships but I made it. Not that all is a bed of roses now, but I am much more selective about clients, have a contract that benefits ME and MY FAMILY, etc. I still call on them in times of trouble and there is always something but it is much easier to handle now.
Mom2Two 02:14 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I was too lenient in the beginning. I worked 8 longgggg years before I met some really great providers that steered me in the right direction. Within two years of meeting them I gained control from a business standpoint and it made all the difference. They led me step by step, sometimes baby steps, but each step I gained a little more confidence. It didn't come without it's hardships but I made it. Not that all is a bed of roses now, but I am much more selective about clients, have a contract that benefits ME and MY FAMILY, etc. I still call on them in times of trouble and there is always something but it is much easier to handle now.

finsup 02:50 PM 08-20-2017
I was way too relaxed. My rates were low, policies non existent and I felt like the parents really called the shots. It taught me a lot though and even though I kind of shudder looking back on it, it did get me a foot in the door and a GREAT reference lol. But now 6 years in, I'm pretty strict and definitely don't allow what I did then! My families generally stay from birth to school age. The ones that haven't have been because I've termed earlier (still both with me a year though). What I've found helpful is to focus on the big things. No pay, no stay. No sick kids. Pick up on time. The rest? I'm not super picky about. I provide everything and that eliminated a ton of issues. No forgetting supplies, no sending kids not trained in underwear, no bugging the parents for weather appropriate items (I supply snow gear). Rasing rates helped a ton too. It weeded out clients who were generally difficult and got in clients who (mostly) valued the care the kids were getting. Honestly, what keeps parents here know what to expect right from the start. I'm not rude when I need to enforce a policy, I'm firm but polite. And mostly, they know their kids are loved and safe here. That's huge for my clients, they may not like all my policies but they know their kids are in a good place. That's what is most important for them (I got those types of families when I raised my rates).
But yeah, maybe take a look at what you can relax on, and what's high priority for you. Just to get a start and build some good references, you can become stricter as you go along if you need to.
Jupadia 05:35 PM 08-20-2017
I have not had a ton of family's but a few so far. My first parent I was very lax about following some of my contract such as days of the week that child was in care. I let it go at the time mostly cause she was my only client and I needed the money. For the first six months I only had her which was any where from 1 day to 5 days with the original contract being 4 days each week. I also had one drop in kid that would come occasionally. As well as a pt kid that was going to start at about 8 months in. At about 7 months in I dropped my prices to get people into the door as I lost the kid I had (mom had 2ed baby so was off for a year). I was lucky and recived a few calls signed up 2 kids at the reduced rate and put my prices back up. I filled up fast after that. I accully had to let one family go because of ratio changes. And have had 2 other family's leave this last spring due to move and the other was a new sibling. I also have had a couple leave for school and gotten a sibling of one of those that started. Now I'm not as flexible as I was when I needed money and had lots of openings. I'm currently full having just stared 2 last week replacing kids who left in spring.
knoxmomof2 09:54 PM 08-20-2017
New and strict could be the issue. You don't have years of clientele to sell you, so maybe they're struggling with your demands based on that? I don't have advice for you though because I applaud how prepared you are.

I started 5 years ago with no professional experience, charging daily rate, no policies and took pretty much any schedule as long as it was M-F during the day. I have 1 child left from those early days and 1 newer full time rate child that's a baby sibling of one of my first kiddos. My other 2 just left me for Kindergarten and Preschool, so I'm trying to fill their spots.

I anticipate it will take me longer to fill these since I have a higher rate and it's full time and I now have policies. I'm due in less than 3 months with baby #3 and am taking 2 weeks unpaid leave, so I don't expect to fill them until after that most likely. I'm going to be pickier at interviews as well.

That being said, I refuse to spend another 5 years with a family that I don't want to!
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I was flexible partly because I didn't know any better and partly because I knew I would need to be to build up my business.
I agree! I always tell new providers first you need to work for your business and then your business will work for you.

I was very lax/flexible when I first opened for both the same reasons Mom2Two mentioned. I didn't know any better and I knew the parents had no reason to trust me. I had zero reputation as a child care provider even though I had plenty of experience in the field....just not in that particular role.

Currently, I don't usually enroll families that randomly call or find my advertisements......In the last few years the only families I've enrolled are those that have been referred to me by past clients. Usually those clients are similar in lifestyle and parenting as the families that referred them (families that worked well here etc) so I know they are coming in knowing my rules and my expectations. ALL based on reputation and past references.

Cold callers are usually parents that don't know me, my program or anything about me in general as they don't have those references to base an opinion off of and most people in my opinion will try to take a mile when given an inch and when a newish provider says they are new, I think those types of parents/clients hear "flexible, pushover, willing to bend, not as experienced, not yet deserving of tons of paid vacation, etc etc......"

So yeah, in a weird way I do think newer providers need to be more flexible in comparison to veteran providers.

However, I think that ALL providers should have a couple firm rules that protect their business and/or family that they never waiver on....finding the right amount of rules and regulations to be super strict about though is the key for you. What's common in my area or in my community of providers might not be common in your area.

For example things I think some newer providers in my area do that I know veteran providers didn't do at first but maybe easily get away with doing now are:

Excessive paid vacations/days off
Sibling discounts/one drop off/pick up
Charge registration/enrollment/deposit fees
Strict scheduling rules with no flexibility
Expecting all full time/full day children

Not all of those things are negative or bad per se but I know that as a newer provider many parents in my area would pass if they had those rules as there are some things simply expected and/or rarely questioned of a reputable child care program but are frowned about or not as easily considered acceptable for a new provider.

I hope that makes sense....
amberrose3dg 06:53 AM 08-21-2017
I've been open two years. My first year I was more relaxed and put up with way too much. I was also open over 12 hours and began to feel worn down. I am in an area that daycare is in high demand especially for school age as this is the best district in the county. I stopped letting people walk on me it came to my policies. Early drop/ late pick up, sending sick kids and late payments are not tolerated. I also will not budge on my rates. I have people call expecting discounts or dirt cheap rates and high quality care. They call around and find out later that I'm priced accordingly. It is up to you if you feel you need to bend on some policies. I have found the more flexible you are the more issues you will have later on.that is simply not worth it to me.
Snowmom 08:40 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:

Are parents just ridiculous these days or what?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer:
Exactly as some previous posters said- most of us just don't know any better in the beginning.
I wish I had the network then that I do now.
But, like anything, experience is what makes us generally good what we do! If I hadn't had the obstacles and the families who tested me, I wouldn't be the kind of provider I am today.
In some ways, I do miss the way I did business back then. I had the "it takes a village" mentality and formed some lasting relationships with people.
But now, I work the hours I want, the pay I want and the with the policies I want. I don't mesh business and personal at all and I don't let people dictate anything about my services and I think I'm better off for it. But I know that's not what everyone wants from this job.
hwichlaz 11:15 AM 08-21-2017
I wasn't more flexible, but I was less picky about the clients to took. I needed to fill up to keep food on the table and a roof over our head. Once I was full and solvent, I started knuckling down on my policies with my clients, training them to be good clients. the ones that wouldn't treat me as a pro, got replaced.
CityGarden 11:56 AM 08-21-2017
I am a new provider....

My contract is well thought out and detailed in the hopes that I do not need to be strict day to day. I give out my contract at the time of the tour so parents know my policies prior to ever enrolling.... also I think my limited hours lead to fewer people inquiring and takes a bit longer to fill spots but I find the quality of families tend to be better that way too.

Other than the first family I enrolled (which for some reason is my sensitive spot) I do not compromise on my hours, payments, enrollment options, etc. In many areas with only 6 children a day max I feel I can be flexible in many other areas....

Examples of ares I can be flexible

- I have thoughts on how I would like potty training to be but I am not going to term for it so I will partner with parents so long as it allows the daycare/preschool space to remain sanitary for all children.

- I do not love outside toys coming in from home but most parents use it as a way to get their child out the house or don't have (or won't take) the energy to tell their child "no" ---- no biggie we have share day on X day anyway! I will tell the child upon arrival "I see you have Thomas Train with you, let's put that in your cubby until share time/day so it does not get lost"

- Parent forgets lunch / diapers, etc. Good morning did you happen to bring dcb's pull ups? No problem we can make due for an hour while you get it/them and you can set them on the front porch so dcb does not have to say good bye twice.

So while I am not flexible with my time or money, I try to be fluid about the rest so long as I am able to keep everyone safe and sanitary.
Ariana 02:57 PM 08-21-2017
I was strict on payments but honestly if it is a day or two late, I usually just send reminders. I have never had a parent not apologize profusely and send it immediately. Not paying me for a week is absolutely not acceptable!

Most of my parents appreciate my strict policies, even in the beginning. I turned kids away at the door my first year for illness.

I do not think policies is your issue.
playful 09:18 PM 08-21-2017
I have parents that have been with me part time for 4 month, they said they wanted to go full time, I told them the rate and then they said they would stay PT, I offered to lower my rate to keep the family because they are never late and they pay me in advance. I had to term a friend of theirs that was very difficult to work with and they had children with special needs and they did not tell me to after child was enrolled.
playful 09:28 PM 08-21-2017
I am a new provider just under one year, I have toddler that has been with me for four months and did have two other children for two weeks, I had to terminate them for various reasons. I think that i need to have parents sign a contract, there have been a lot of issues with the rates charged. My first family I want to be lenient with because they stuck with me when I had no children.
Reply Up