Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Spots for Families that are Getting Laid Off?
tinytotzdaycare 05:33 AM 10-30-2009
Are you holding spots for families that are getting laid off and looking for work?

I am offering 2 weeks of FREE care after they are laid off to find new employment, after that I offer FREE drop in for 6 hours a week for interviews up to one month, after that I am going to fill their spots
sarahtheresa02 09:39 AM 10-30-2009
That is very generous of you. I dont know many other providers who would offer any type of FREE care to parents in need or otherwise.

For me it would really depend on the family and their history with me. I would probably not offer free care. Most likely 1/2 price care until they can get back on their feet... many people (not all) who are laid off are able to receive unemployment benefits. Yes, I know its not full pay but I wouldnt be charging full price either.
mac60 12:08 PM 10-30-2009
I think your offer is very kind, and I do understand why you do it, and I am sure your kindness will be returned to you in some way some day.

As far as unemployment,,,,,I am sure it depends on the state you are claiming from. But if you have never been on it, you have no idea what they pay, well I can tell you. My husband got laid off from his job of 40 years 4 weeks ago today. He has still received $00 in benefits. And when he does, it is going to be a meager $282 per week minus taxes. His gross prior to that was $606 per week, not great pay, but we did fine with his wage and mine. The way they figure how much you get is absolute appaling. He can not claim any dependents, even though we are married, and supporting 2 kids who are over 18 (full time college students). He can not claim me as a dependent because I make over $151 per week. How rediculous. I honestly don't know how we will make it. His company is downsizing every 2 to 3 weeks, this has been going on for the past 2 years. He was let go because he had 40 years of seniority, 5 weeks vacations, retirement benefits. So much for the "age discrimination factor" that in itself is a joke. And the lady said, even if he could of claimed me and the kids, his rate would of been the same. The system is very flawed.
judytrickett 01:08 PM 10-30-2009
Well, if I was working so I could put food on the table then NO, I would not hold spots if I could otherwise fill them. That's just me though. Daycare is business first and foremost. And although I can sympathize with any parent who suddenly finds themselves unemployed, daycare providers still have to pay the mortgage and put food on the table. And the bank will not take "held spots" as payment. KWIM?
seashell 01:15 PM 10-30-2009
what does kwim mean? I see that alot and Im clueless!!!
judytrickett 01:20 PM 10-30-2009
Originally Posted by seashell:
what does kwim mean? I see that alot and Im clueless!!!

Know What I Mean???
Chickenhauler 09:59 PM 11-01-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
As far as unemployment,,,,,I am sure it depends on the state you are claiming from. But if you have never been on it, you have no idea what they pay, well I can tell you. My husband got laid off from his job of 40 years 4 weeks ago today. He has still received $00 in benefits. And when he does, it is going to be a meager $282 per week minus taxes. His gross prior to that was $606 per week, not great pay, but we did fine with his wage and mine. The way they figure how much you get is absolute appaling. He can not claim any dependents, even though we are married, and supporting 2 kids who are over 18 (full time college students). He can not claim me as a dependent because I make over $151 per week. How rediculous. I honestly don't know how we will make it. His company is downsizing every 2 to 3 weeks, this has been going on for the past 2 years. He was let go because he had 40 years of seniority, 5 weeks vacations, retirement benefits. So much for the "age discrimination factor" that in itself is a joke. And the lady said, even if he could of claimed me and the kids, his rate would of been the same. The system is very flawed.
UI is meager, but part of the reason it doesn't pay very well is that it was meant to give people an incentive to go find a job.

Think of it kinda like a barn cat....if you feed it too much, it won't go out and hunt down mice.

I know in this economy, jobs are scarce, which makes it extra tough.
mac60 02:09 AM 11-02-2009
Unemployment in my county is over 17%. Surrounding counties are about 10 to 14%. Hubby lost his job after 40 years. The company is totally downsizing.....started out about 2 yr ago with approx 3200 employees, rumor is going down to 800, and are at about 1200 to 1500 right now.

He was let go simply for the mere things the company gave him over the years, 5 weeks vacation, retirement, pay scale. It sucks and it is not fair at all, but that is life. You stay with a company thru years of thick and thin, excellent work history, and all they perks they have given you are the reason they get rid of you. Age discrimination.....hell yes, only they get away with it.

This is the first time either of us has ever been on unemployment and it sucks bad. The whole system is flawed. We discussd him going out and getting a job at Pizza Hut, or similar for now until he can find a better job, but if he makes over $56 in 1 week, they start taking money away from his benefits. That is insane. A man tries to go out and help his family and is punished for it. Now I understand not being able to find another job and make more than you did working combined with UI, but at making $56 per week, he still is falling short of about $150 per week. Sorry about the rant here.

Funny how some people use the system and live off of welfare, disability, food stamps, medicaid, but the working (what used to be middle class family), well we have supported those low life of people for years, yet when it comes to us, to hell with us all.......that is just my opinion here. Very frustrated right now. I don't see the low life getting on their ass to find a job and better themselves, they just sit back and wait for that next check.
Tags:income, laid off, spots, unemployed, unemployment
Reply Up