Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No More Infants!
midaycare 11:42 AM 11-21-2014
I took my first infant a few months ago, at 14 weeks. So really, not even a true tiny, tiny infant. I've decided that this will be my only infant. And dcb, now 6 months, is a dream baby. He is (most of the time) happy and content. But I teach preschool in the morning, and I can't with dcb here.

One of my other dcf's tells me the other day that their brother and wife is pregnant. "Great news for you," they say, "you will have another infant in a little less than a year!" Heh. Not so great.

How do I politely tell people that I am no longer taking infants? And also in a way that doesn't make it sound like I don't like current dcb? Because I do, very much.
spinnymarie 11:55 AM 11-21-2014
Oooh tricky.
You mean you don't want the future baby? Since dcbaby will be over 6 months by that point?
Because, honestly, even if I thought I wouldn't want that baby, I wouldn't tell them that just yet. I'd decide about six weeks before the new baby was due whether I'd be able to take it or not
TheGoodLife 11:58 AM 11-21-2014
I was JUST thinking about my current DCF who is expecting in March. It's a teacher family so they wouldn't need daycare until fall for the baby. I advertise 12 months and up, but this is the mom that has asked both times they have come to a short week (today being the second- Im off Thanksgiving and the following Friday, paid holidays) how much they owe so I know she's not ultra observant since my contract states PAID holidays and days off! Well, I have to let her know that I won't be able to take her daughter in the fall- I'm actually hoping to close at the end of January but its not official yet. I hope your news goes over well- babies are hard and a lot of work that takes away from prescho, so I don't blame you! For me, I enjoy preschool as well and would have only done 2 years and up if I could have gotten the older kids in!
My thought is to ask if DCM knows where she will send the baby next year, and will then reiterate that I only take 1 year and up. But again, I actively advertise that age so I can just "play dumb" and ask. That is, if I even have to. If I close in January it will not be a problem anyways!
melilley 11:59 AM 11-21-2014
You could tell them that you only take one infant at at time. It's the truth and you won't be lying. I'm sure they would understand.
TheGoodLife 12:00 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Oooh tricky.
You mean you don't want the future baby? Since dcbaby will be over 6 months by that point?
Because, honestly, even if I thought I wouldn't want that baby, I wouldn't tell them that just yet. I'd decide about six weeks before the new baby was due whether I'd be able to take it or not
yes, I'd give adequate notice but wouldn't bring it up well before the baby's start time, as you'd risk losing the older DCB and something could always change by the time that baby was born!
CraftyMom 12:02 PM 11-21-2014
I was just thinking today...NO MORE INFANTS! The 2 I have now are both sick, crying and won't nap.
KidGrind 12:25 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I took my first infant a few months ago, at 14 weeks. So really, not even a true tiny, tiny infant. I've decided that this will be my only infant. And dcb, now 6 months, is a dream baby. He is (most of the time) happy and content. But I teach preschool in the morning, and I can't with dcb here.

One of my other dcf's tells me the other day that their brother and wife is pregnant. "Great news for you," they say, "you will have another infant in a little less than a year!" Heh. Not so great.

How do I politely tell people that I am no longer taking infants? And also in a way that doesn't make it sound like I don't like current dcb? Because I do, very much.
“I’ve decided Bobby will be my last infant. My plan is too focus on toddlers and my preschool program."
midaycare 01:40 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
“I’ve decided Bobby will be my last infant. My plan is too focus on toddlers and my preschool program."
Simple and sweet. I like it
midaycare 01:41 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
Oooh tricky.
I never, ever, ever want another baby I have good luck getting 1 year and up around here, which is perfect. I can deal with 1 years old.
Heidi 01:45 PM 11-21-2014
aww man, I am way opposite you guys!

I want them ALL to start at 6 weeks, at least 4 days a week. I like to "train them" early.
midaycare 02:46 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I want them ALL to start at 6 weeks, at least 4 days a week. I like to "train them" early.
You must have the patience of an angel. I can't imagine having such young ones. I really like teaching things.
sharlan 02:51 PM 11-21-2014
After my last infant - the one where the mom didn't get him on a bottle before going back to work - I'm done. I won't take anyone under 2.

I would politely say that I've decided to concentrate on older preschoolers and won't be taking anymore infants.
CraftyMom 02:59 PM 11-21-2014

I correct myself, I either want no babies or all babies. But since I can only have 2 then I will opt for no babies. The mixed ages with infants is difficult.

Today I was spending too much time with the babies that weren't feeling well. I feel guilty that I'm not spending the time with the others. Even when they aren't sick they are a lot of work.

Maybe I should have called for pick up for these 2 in hindsight. But there were no fevers, just wanting to be held and crying, no napping. Yeah I should have called for pick up! I have trouble doing that though.

I do love the babies, just not with a bunch of 2 and 3 year olds!
taylorw1210 03:40 PM 11-21-2014

I feel the same way! I started doing this last year and have two more newbies this year. I love it.
rosieteddy 05:39 AM 11-23-2014
I defineately no where your coming from.I have always taken 2 infants at a time.These last two sets have been a nightmare.For the last 2 years I feel like every work day is carring around crying infants.The older kids act up ,and its really hard to do our curriculum.Just last week I had a parent drop off saying the child was wheezing and fussy.She gave him a treatment handed me the inhaler and said "good luck call if you need me"I did call and it took her 45 min to call me back.The other infant was crying to. It really makes the day long and hard. I have decided that these are my last infants and I just might plan on retireing soon.
midaycare 07:26 AM 11-23-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I defineately no where your coming from.I have always taken 2 infants at a time.These last two sets have been a nightmare.For the last 2 years I feel like every work day is carring around crying infants.The older kids act up ,and its really hard to do our curriculum.Just last week I had a parent drop off saying the child was wheezing and fussy.She gave him a treatment handed me the inhaler and said "good luck call if you need me"I did call and it took her 45 min to call me back.The other infant was crying to. It really makes the day long and hard. I have decided that these are my last infants and I just might plan on retireing soon.
Infants are a lot of work. If I wasn't doing a curriculum it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I bet if you only had 1 year and up you might want to keep going a few more years
Ariana 08:00 AM 11-23-2014
I just say that I like small ratios for the under 2 crowd so I can give them more individual attention.
Unregistered 04:42 PM 11-23-2014
Decided a year ago, no more little ones under one year! Just not my thing!
midaycare 07:40 PM 11-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Decided a year ago, no more little ones under one year! Just not my thing!
I'm right there with you. I love 1-4 years old.
Wednesday! 10:50 PM 11-23-2014

This is me! I'd rather start them at 6 weeks so that I can help mold them. I don't like having to break other people's bad habits and I find that it's far less common when I've had the child from birth.
Play Care 05:32 AM 11-24-2014
I had a call the other week looking for care for an infant that would be 6 WEEKS old when mom has to go back to work. I turned them down even though I will have two spots to fill. I've just had an infant this year and as good as he is, really am not an infant provider.
spinnymarie 10:46 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I never, ever, ever want another baby I have good luck getting 1 year and up around here, which is perfect. I can deal with 1 years old.
Well, then, I agree with PP!
Reply Up