Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MN Providers--Rule for Naps/Quiet Time
mncare 12:07 PM 11-11-2010
Any MN ladies out there who can help me with this? IDK if it varies by county or not, but I am wondering if there is a rule as to the length of nap time. I have my SA today due to early dismissal and it is making me think ahead to summer. I can't deal with this every day for three months...

SO, I was wondering if there is actually a limit. My other kids are 5, 5, 4 and then I have two little ones (who would nap the whole time obviously, but they are on a different level). So for the preschoolers, can I just offer 45 minutes to an hour? The parents don't want them to nap anyway b/c then they don't sleep well at night. I would have all the kids have this quiet time and then they are free to play.

Honestly, nap time is the worst part of my day when the SA are here. I get so tired of telling them to be quiet, it is ridiculous. My day would actually be much better if we could just do it that way.

I didn't see anything in the daycare rule, so maybe it is not even regulated. Then again I may have missed it, I hate reading that thing. I thought I would try here before calling my licensor with such a question.
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 11-11-2010
I don't really think there are any specific rules as to the amount or times you have to nap kids, but I think the rule just says that we have to provide space when they nap. I do not see any where it says they HAVE to nap either. On the days where school is out, I try to give the SA kids quiet things to do in the other room away from my nappers and in the summer, my nappers sleep for about 1 to 1.5 hours and my SA'ers HAVE to play outside. If weather is bad, then they are just outta luck and have to have quiet time as well. I allow a movie during nap time in summer, but only if SA'ers are quiet..if they start getting loud, the movie goes off. Personally, I think SA'ers are way more work than 5 and under kids. I usually only take the SA'ers if they started out here from infants/toddler age. Just the fact that they are tough to integrate tells me that family child care is not meant for schoolers. Thankfully our local YMCA has an awesome summer program for schoolers...I try to encourage my parents to use it. It is a lot more age appropriate and more geared for their size.
mncare 12:25 PM 11-11-2010
Thanks, Blackcat. I thought maybe I was just missing something. Right now they are actually being quiet, but nap time is almost over.

I agree, SA are MUCH more work. I should actually charge more for them than for my infants. The baby I have just pretty much eats, poops and sleeps all day!

I like to plan ahead and now I know that I can plan for a shorter quiet time, I'm sure the parents won't mind the change. Like I said, they prefer when the kids don't nap. I won't prevent them from falling asleep, but I have been waking one up earlier to see if it will help with night time sleeping.

Anyway, I'm hoping this will help when the time comes. I may even do it over Christmas break, because I wasn't smart enough to keep a week of vacation for that time! Live and learn, I've already got it planned for next year. A week of quiet bliss with my sweet child. I'm looking forward to it already!
kidkair 03:18 PM 11-11-2010
My SA's usually go outside during naptime or do quiet activities. I agree with Blackcat that MN rules don't have any specific time or age limit for naps just what needs to be provided for the nappers. I have a 3yr old who doesn't nap or even lay down but when she really needs it I have a map available for her. I usually don't let any of the SA kids lay down because they wouldn't get a nap at school.

I also agree that SAs are a lot of work! After school started I felt like I had to detox my preschoolers from the SA's behaviors
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I also agree that SAs are a lot of work! After school started I felt like I had to detox my preschoolers from the SA's behaviors
LOL!!! That is sooo funny!! I feel that way too! Just got them back on track and now we had MEA break, teachers work shops, conferences and Thanksgiving! Three weeks of detoxing and then Christmas vacation! Whew!! Looks like after New Years before it'll settle down!
Unregistered 12:19 PM 11-12-2010
In MN do we have to give the kids mats? My old daycare must gave my kids a blanket and they laid down on the floor!

Also I have a dcb that just turned 5 last month, by the summer time will he be able to go outside with the SA kids?
daysofelijah 01:14 PM 11-12-2010
I don't think there's any rule on how long nap has to be, just that we offer it to kids under 5. I'd think if the parents are okay with it a 1 hour nap would be fine during the summer. When I kept schoolagers I would send them outside if they could not be quiet while playing a game or other quiet activity.

I don't think mats are required here in MN. If your dcb is going to kindergarten in the fall he counts as a schoolager on May 17th of the year he goes to kindergarten so you can send him out with the schoolagers this summer, yes.
kidkair 04:34 AM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In MN do we have to give the kids mats? My old daycare must gave my kids a blanket and they laid down on the floor!
I suggest you report your provider:

MN Rule 9502.0415 Activities and equipment
Subp 7: Toddler equipment. Each toddler shall be provided with a mat, crib, cot, bed, sofa, or sleeping bag.
Subp 9: Preschool equipment. Each preschooler shall be provided with a mat, crib, cot, bed, sofa, or sleeping bag.
Tags:minnesota, nap time, quiet time
Reply Up