Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Call No-Show Kids?
newtodaycare22 10:59 AM 08-15-2011
A kid didn't show up today. She's late occasionally and rarely calls. When it was time to head to the park (and beyond that 'late' time), I texted Mom and said, "No so and so today?"

No answer. (She always has her phone)

No phone call.

Do you call or email after that attempted contact? I just find it rude and not my place to call and ask them what's wrong. They should be able to pick up a phone-don't ya think?
daycare 11:09 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
A kid didn't show up today. She's late occasionally and rarely calls. When it was time to head to the park (and beyond that 'late' time), I texted Mom and said, "No so and so today?"

No phone call.

Do you call or email after that attempted contact? I just find it rude and not my place to call and ask them what's wrong. They should be able to pick up a phone-don't ya think?
I usually wait about 30 minutes and then will call to make sure that everything is ok. I am a worry wart and my parents know this about me. If someone is supposed to be here I expect them here or a call to let me know they won't be.

I would call and just say that you are calling becuase you wanted to make sure everything is ok. If they say oh I forgot or some lame excuse then i would let them know that you expect for them to call by *** time if their child will not be presnt in care that day. Let her know that you may leave the house to go to the park or etc and you would hate it if she were to arrive and no one was at the house.

I also do not allow for parents to drop off when we are not at the DC. All drop off and pick up must occur on the DC site...

hope this helps some.... hopefully everything is ok and this mom just caught up.
heyhun77 11:10 AM 08-15-2011
If it was one of my families I would call if they didn't reply to a text. Most of my families it would concern me if they didn't answer. That's just my families. I know them and their routines and what isn't typical for them. I don't currently have any that flake on me. If I had one that had a history of flaking I would probably text once, call once and let it go until that evening.
Cat Herder 11:11 AM 08-15-2011
I call.

I am older than all my clients so I pull the "I was worried about you!!!" card...

I am also friends with all the Grandparents so they know I will ask their parents next.

Gotta love some small town politics. Granted, I am talking maybe twice a year, here.

Be prepared it could go another way, though... I have also sent a tow truck, found someone a ride home from the ER, called a lock smith or two and gone pick up a DCK before.
PitterPatter 11:18 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:

No phone call.

Honestly I use to do it all the time after they were an hour late but then I simply didn't have time and forgot. I had a DCM come to depend on that call when she would oversleep and when I didn't call 1 day she had the nerve to snap at me for not calling and waking her up. She went on to say now she may be fired and if she was then I too would be out of a job. Very rude. Sfter that I refused to call her and be her personal wake up call so again she would oversleep. It got to be at least once a week in the end. Well finally I got enough kids that her attendance didn't matter THAT much and so when she threatened the last tim I layed it out for her in a stern way. She didn't have much to say after that.

I strongly suggest not to get that routine started or u may end up in my shoes and it become expected. Unless it is a family that is never late or that is kind to u. Then I can see making the call.

I called my licensor and asked him because these parents are state paid and u have to basically let them walk on u usually. He told me if they were not here after 2 hrs to go on about my day and leave if I want to. (This was happening when that DCB was the only kid in care so I sat waiting many days when I could be out doing things)
PitterPatter 11:32 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I usually wait about 30 minutes and then will call to make sure that everything is ok. I am a worry wart and my parents know this about me. If someone is supposed to be here I expect them here or a call to let me know they won't be.

I would call and just say that you are calling becuase you wanted to make sure everything is ok. If they say oh I forgot or some lame excuse then i would let them know that you expect for them to call by *** time if their child will not be presnt in care that day. Let her know that you may leave the house to go to the park or etc and you would hate it if she were to arrive and no one was at the house.

I also do not allow for parents to drop off when we are not at the DC. All drop off and pick up must occur on the DC site...
hope this helps some.... hopefully everything is ok and this mom just caught up.
I feel the same way! I have to have parents sign in (and out) on a sheet anyway. Once I had no call from a DCD that was supposed to drop his kid off. DCM worked at 7 am but the Dad didn't work so he kept the DCB until 9 when he woke up. Well we had plans to leave at 10 for the playground and I called and texted and waited until 10:45. If I waited any longer the kids wouldn't get to play so we left. DCD text at 11:00 and said he overslept and will bring DCB in 10 mins. I told him we were at the playground he would have to wait to sign him in at the house when we go back for lunch at 11:30. I don't carry sign in sheets with me anyway. Well 10 mins later he shows up at the playground and dropped his kid off. I told him I could not accept responsibility because he is not properly signed in. DCD tells me "well lets go back to your house then." Excuse me? No U need to meet me at the house when we return for lunch at 11:30. He laughed, waved at me and left!! Needless to say I had a long talk with DCM at pick up!!! Her reply was "oh he's always rude it's his way, you'll get used to it" Pffft ya think? Bye bye!
laundrymom 11:32 AM 08-15-2011
I call if its bad weather, but other than that, I have it in my contract that if they arent here or dont call or text within an hour, I take it as a gift of a paid day off from them and go about my day, possibly not being here when they arrive....
Meyou 11:33 AM 08-15-2011
I call anyone that doesn't show up at 9:15. The kids are all required to be here by 9am unless other arrangements have been made so I don't pay attention to drop off times other than that. Well...except for my parent that drops off at 7:30 on the dot each day. If I ever forget when I open he'll be there knocking to remind me. lol
CheekyChick 02:09 PM 08-15-2011
I rarely get "no shows," but when I do, I call or e-mail them, just to make sure all is well.
Christian Mother 02:17 PM 08-15-2011
I normally don't get many no shows too. My parents seem to be really good about contacting me to let me know what is going on. I love that!! But, in the rare event that someone doesn't call or text you can bet I would. I need to know all that is going on..heheh!!! That's how I plan my day.
Tags:no show, no show - call parents
Reply Up