Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pursuing Termination Fee/Last 2 Weeks Pay
trix23 05:24 PM 06-15-2017
Has anyone done this? How long did you wait after non-payment or non-communication? How long did the process take? Did you get your $?
mommyneedsadayoff 05:32 PM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Has anyone done this? How long did you wait after non-payment or non-communication? How long did the process take? Did you get your $?
I am assuming this is the family that left with no notice? You can send certified letters and whatnot or send it to a collections agency. As far as how long it takes to go to court and whether they show and you get a judgement...??? Kind of depends and quite honestly, I would write it off, fill your spot and be done. The headache is not worth it, imo. Lesson learned. Get a two week prepayment from now on and then you can cut a family loose without losing money.
trix23 05:41 PM 06-15-2017
I do have a 2-week deposit thing now but didn't before. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done it or if it's more of a threat to keep them in line.
284878 06:10 AM 06-16-2017
Some on here have. Have searched tag words for other threads yet?

Also if you want to pursue this, do it. It will be a learning experience whether you get the money or not.

Start with a certified letter stating you will sue or send to collections (whichever route you choose)
A good portion will pay you after the letter. If no payment after allowed time file paperwork for your next step.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 06-16-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I have a policy that I follow for collection although I have not had to use it for years but I would contact the family and confirm they are no longer attending. (this is assuming they do not pay at any of the following attempts to collect)

I request final two week payment verbally or within a text or e-mail.

5 days later I send a certified letter stating full amount due and when and at what date I will file in small claims court if I do not receive payment.

Non-payment means filing in conciliation court (small claims) Here it costs $45 but if I win, they pay that amount. In the court filing I claim the full amount of they owe, plus I claim all late fees.

I've gone to court a couple times and either won by default (they didn't show up) or settled in court.

Both times I got my money fairly quickly. The one that didn't show, paid within 30 days via the court house....they sent money to court admin and court admin sent it to me.

The other case, the family argued they didn't owe but I had all texts, e-mails and paperwork showing they did so I won and they had to send me the payment in full in the form of a cashiers check or a money order within 90 days and they did.

Since then I have collected a deposit up front and don't provide services without payment so I have not been shorted or stiffed out of anything I've had to pursue.

Check your local court site...our county courthouse has a website that explains exactly how to file in small claims, what to do for court and how to collect etc. Walks you through the entire process.
trix23 07:17 AM 06-16-2017
Thank you, BlackCat.
hwichlaz 12:43 PM 06-16-2017
Since I have a contract, I send it to a collection agency. Then if they don't pay it goes on their credit report.

So far 3 out of 4 have paid.
trix23 03:37 PM 06-16-2017
What collection agency do you use? And do you do that instead of small claims court?
hwichlaz 03:49 PM 06-16-2017
I use a semi-local one to me, it's called the Credit Bureau of Ukiah. No court needed, I have a contract that the parent signed with their SSN.
trix23 04:04 PM 06-16-2017
Oh wow. Do you advise others to get SSNs? What if they don't give the right #?
Reply Up