Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Tools of the Mind
LtTawnyMadison 11:40 AM 02-07-2013
I recently read an absolutely wonderful book about child development called NurtureShock. In one chapter it described a program being used with pretty astounding results by daycares and elementary schools called "Tools of the Mind." I wanted to share the information because it seems like a really great methodology. Here's the official Tools of the Mind website. There are impressive stats on how it transforms classes with a lot of underprivileged kids, and how kids in the program typically perform a couple of grades above their own, all of which NurtureShock goes into in detail.

I would so love it if there were a daycare or school in my area doing Tools of the Mind, and I wanted to share it because there are a lot of directors on here who might be willing to look into it or try it!
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 02-07-2013
Thanks for sharing! That is a really good article

It definitely assures me that I am doing something right....

I don't have a tv and I don't have a strictly structured day where kids can only play this or that when it's time.

My day is child-led and allows for the kids to play like generations before them.
LtTawnyMadison 08:55 PM 02-07-2013
FYI I edited my first post to include what I really wanted to be known about the program, which wasn't covered in what I first posted.
Reply Up