Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Birds
DaveA 01:37 PM 05-15-2017
Last year all but one of my DD's birds got killed by a raccoon. We replaced the chickens then but couldn't get the ducklings I wanted then. So we got the new birds last week. They've already over doubled in size. Of course DD talked me into breaking a rule of mine and naming them before they moved outside. The solid yellow is named Breakfast, the yellow with grey face is Indy, and the brown one is Courage. DCKs and DD are in love of course.
IMG_0934.JPG
Attached:
Pestle 02:19 PM 05-15-2017

My 4yo DD announced last year that she's going to be a duck farmer when she grows up, and she's stuck with that proclamation ever since. We can't have ducks here in the city, so we're going to do a unit on duck farming when we begin homeschooling this year. We'll do research, use ducks as an entry into Biology, visit a duck farm, and build a scale model duck coop.

Any suggestions?
DaveA 04:08 PM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:

My 4yo DD announced last year that she's going to be a duck farmer when she grows up, and she's stuck with that proclamation ever since. We can't have ducks here in the city, so we're going to do a unit on duck farming when we begin homeschooling this year. We'll do research, use ducks as an entry into Biology, visit a duck farm, and build a scale model duck coop.

Any suggestions?
Did you check with your city about that? A surprising number of towns/ cities allow you to keep small numbers of "farm" animals as pets or part of gardening/ urban homesteading. A lot of places that "ban" them really only care if the neighbors complain. Our village technically doesn't allow them, but I know at least 2 other houses in our subdivision and a bunch more in town that keep chickens, ducks, a turkey, and at least one person has a dwarf goat.

If you do want to keep them check out the books "Barnyard in the Backyard" and "The Urban Homesteader's Guide to Animals". For a source for ducklings, if you don't have a farm store in your area that sells sexed ducklings (or are already done for the year) try online Metzer Hatchery. They sell small batches of sexed birds. As for breeds, great pet breeds are Indian Runner, Khaki Campbell, and Welsh Harlequin. The 3 in the picture are a IR, a KC, and a Jumbo Pekin that DD wanted because while the other ducklings tried to hide when we started reaching in she came over like "Pick Me!!!". 75% sure they're all 3 girls (DD thinks Courage is a boy- shhh ), but I could be wrong. It's been way too many years since high school ag class. You can also look into a breed called Muscovy. They are great for urban environments but have some unique quirks to them. YouTube all the breeds to see what they look like.
Pestle 06:12 PM 05-15-2017
Thanks for the tips, Dave! There are a lot of urban homesteader-types in town who want to keep chickens, but so far no go. My city's regulations don't allow keeping fowl unless you're on 5 acres or more. I'm on a quarter acre! So we'll be exploring the subject but not putting it into practice. Duck LARPing, if you will.
Josiegirl 01:56 AM 05-16-2017
Oh they're so cute!! When I was a little girl back in the stone ages, there was a store that used to sell chickens at Easter time, all bright colored and fluffy. Dyed Easter colors. They also sold cute fluffy yellow ducklings. My older sister was known for bringing home random stray animals but one year she brought home one of those adorable yellow ducks. Instant family member! We also had a dog at the time and they became fast friends. That tiny duckling grew into a huge white duck by September, named it Fluffy. Having no place to keep it beyond the colder months, we gave it to a farmer with a pond. Every time we went to leave it, Fluffy followed us back to the car. I love having animals but I get too dang attached.
Don't get me started on the bunny my sister brought home for us. Looking back, I now know what good sports my parents were about it all. Even to the point where the cat she brought home, gave birth to 3 kittens in my father's desk. Lol
Josiegirl 01:59 AM 05-16-2017
Had to laugh at the name Breakfast. Perhaps you may want to buy some duck prozac for that little fella.
DaveA 05:16 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Had to laugh at the name Breakfast. Perhaps you may want to buy some duck prozac for that little fella.
She's actually the most laid back of the three. Indy (yellow with grey face) seems to be the crazy one of the bunch, and Courage just want to watch what the humans are doing.
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
The solid yellow is named Breakfast,
priceless!!
Second Home 07:14 AM 05-16-2017
I can't view the pics . What breeds do you have .

I got 3 cayuga ducklings 2 weeks ago .
DaveA 07:50 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I can't view the pics . What breeds do you have .

I got 3 cayuga ducklings 2 weeks ago .
Our Rural King only does a single mixed breed box, so I'm guessing but pretty sure based on what they know was in the shipment. Probably 1 Jumbo Pekin, 1 Khaki Campbell, and 1 Indian Runner (probably a fawn/ white colored one)
Magic 08:06 AM 05-16-2017
I love indian runners ..they are what I have ...enjoy !!
I have 2 babies making lots of noise right now in the back room ..1 day olds ...
Kelly 08:01 AM 05-18-2017
I just got my first chickens last week. They are so adorable. We spend more time watching them than TV.
DaveA 01:30 PM 06-23-2017
Thought I'd give an update. Spent the week introducing them to the existing birds. Tonight will be their first night sleeping in the coop. The chickens and them get along great. Tres (our existing duck) ignores them completely. Breakfast is on the left, Courage on the right, & Indy in the middle.
IMG_1007.jpg
Attached:
Josiegirl 03:19 AM 06-24-2017
Oh I bet the kiddos love 'em!! When you've got animals and kids, who needs expensive toys and curriculum anyways.
Tags:birds, pets in daycare
Reply Up