Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Employee Taxes
midaycare 06:13 PM 08-17-2017
In 2.5 weeks I start having an assistant here - hooray! But I have to write paychecks and I'm a little concerned about doing it correctly. I have never paid monthly or quarterly taxes the few years I've been open. I always just put it on a yearly tax form and...so far, so good.

I know paychecks have Federal, State, and Social Security and Medicare. Unemployment? Is that on the paycheck, too?

What about quarterly taxes? What do I need to pay? Anyone know what I can expect? I want to budget accordingly.

Any end of year taxes, or taxes paid once a year that I need to be aware of, besides the regular tax filing?

Confusing stuff! Thanks in advance
hwichlaz 10:24 AM 08-18-2017
you also need to secure worker's comp insurance
midaycare 11:39 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
you also need to secure worker's comp insurance
Ugh Is that a tax or through an insurance company?
kendallina 02:06 PM 08-18-2017
On Tom Copelands website there is a good explanation regarding what you need to do for federally for employees, including federal tax stuff, paperwork to complete when hiring, etc.

However, each state has additional things that need to be completed. In Ohio, we have to withhold city, school district and state taxes and pay those quarterly as well as complete an end-of-the-year form. In Ohio, you sign up for workers comp insurance through the state and they can put you through to a private company our you can choose one yourself.

I met with a local accountant to help me understand the forms that I needed for all the state stuff. He was super helpful and didn't even charge me ( although I would have been happy to pay!).
midaycare 04:22 PM 08-20-2017
Originally Posted by kendallina:
On Tom Copelands website there is a good explanation regarding what you need to do for federally for employees, including federal tax stuff, paperwork to complete when hiring, etc.

However, each state has additional things that need to be completed. In Ohio, we have to withhold city, school district and state taxes and pay those quarterly as well as complete an end-of-the-year form. In Ohio, you sign up for workers comp insurance through the state and they can put you through to a private company our you can choose one yourself.

I met with a local accountant to help me understand the forms that I needed for all the state stuff. He was super helpful and didn't even charge me ( although I would have been happy to pay!).
Thanks!!! I just might have to break down and meet with an accountant.
Tags:employee taxes
Reply Up