Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>No Interest in Learning
SJT43015 05:09 AM 01-23-2014
Have any of you had a child that absolutely shows no interest in learning? I'm trying to have a structured learning time for a few hours a day doing various things. I watch a 3 year old girl and no matter what I do, she will not sit and participate. We've worked a lot with my 2.5 year old son and he knows his letters and numbers really well.

When I try and work on letters and numbers with her, she just says she doesn't know. I even do three letters at a time with flashcards and go back to the first letter and she says she doesn't know and gets up and won't sit for circle time.

I'm really at a loss at how to teach her. Her mom said that they have foam letters and she'll throw a few in at bath time and work with her, but it doesn't seem like she's picking anything up.

I really want to help her prepare for preschool like I do with my own son, but I've never met a child who is so resistant to learn anything at all.

Any suggestions? Maybe something fun that got the kids wanting to learn. Right now, I'm just trying to get her to do letter and number recognition to start.
BumbleBee 05:23 AM 01-23-2014
In my opinion it sounds like she's not ready. I'd stop doing flash cards and just let her play.
Cat Herder 05:36 AM 01-23-2014
Instead of flashcards you can try colorful counters, tracing letters in salt trays and a multitude of other intrinsic methods. We love Mat Man and Letter/Number Hopscotch, here....

"Drill and Kill" learning is no longer the recommended method.... There are simply too many learning styles for it to help everyone.

This kid may simply not be a visual learner.
Meyou 06:01 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Instead of flashcards you can try colorful counters, tracing letters in salt trays and a multitude of other intrinsic methods. We love Mat Man and Letter/Number Hopscotch, here....

"Drill and Kill" learning is no longer the recommended method.... There are simply too many learning styles for it to help everyone.

This kid may simply not be a visual learner.
We played color hopscotch the other day. Each block was a different color chalk. Great way to teach colors.

Op, I agree with catherder. Try incorporating learning into play. Dr. Suess makes an alphabet twister that my 3-4's love.
Heidi 10:39 AM 01-23-2014
Flash cards and drilling is not considered developmentally appropriate.

I think you'll have more success with games, songs, reading stories, playing with letters, pointing out words you see "hey, I see a stop sign! S T O P...that's STOP! Make math and literature a part of your day. Let them help you make something, and allow them to measure. Count aloud as they do. Count grapes or animal crackers at snack. Help them learn to serve themselves lunch, clean up their spot, wipe the table, care for a pet or plants, build things with cardboard boxes and blankets. Most of all, give them plenty of time to play!

Here's a blog with lots of ideas: http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/

I guess I wonder why anyone needs to be "ready" for preschool. PRE school is supposed to get them ready for Kindergarten, but what do you need to know before preschool?
Childminder 11:48 AM 01-23-2014
I remember the days before preschool when kindergarten was to get you ready for school.
Originally Posted by :
I guess I wonder why anyone needs to be "ready" for preschool. PRE school is supposed to get them ready for Kindergarten, but what do you need to know before preschool?
And then the days when preschool was to teach socialization and get you ready for kindergarten. Soon the children will have this in the womb and they will be required to come out knowing colors, numbers, letters and how to get along.
dave4him 03:46 PM 01-23-2014
My niece has her own things she wants to learn. Mostly the stuff she already knows. Probably normal though.
My3cents 11:43 AM 01-24-2014
Just keep trying and introducing. If she picks it up great, if not she will in time. I agree play is very important. My little group wants to learn more that is why I offer it. If the interest was not there, it would be just an all play day and learn through play (and they do that too)

Don't stress yourself out about this. What a Kindergarten teacher wants a child to be able to know the most is social and self help skills.

All children learn differently and at their own rate- I agree with the flash card drilling. Flash cards are fun if you use them as a game but when you put the pressure to know on a child that young it can deter learning. You want a child to have a love for learning not be opposed to it.

best-
misslori50 10:19 AM 01-28-2014
Well why does she need to she is 3. She should be playing not sitting. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195765915026114976/

http://www.playcountsdenitadinger.bl...-plopping.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVv5ZL9nlgs
Annalee 11:00 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
Well why does she need to she is 3. She should be playing not sitting. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195765915026114976/

http://www.playcountsdenitadinger.bl...-plopping.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVv5ZL9nlgs
I believe, as well, in the power of play. It is my goal to set up the environment and let them play and learn in the process. Yep, they can learn academically through play! Story in point....I had a 4 yr old dcb once that continually talked about his grandpa/mom/dad and milking cows on their farm. Not occasionally but all the time....even if I was talking. He just seemed to jabber all the time. Anyway, I told my assistant that I was worried because I felt he wasn't learning anything and kindergarten was coming up for him. Well, to my surprise, he was telling his mom through all his talking at home what he had learned at daycare. So, never underestimate the power of play. He was more than prepared for school and is now in 4th grade. Even when it looks like they aren't getting it, they very well may be!
misslori50 02:38 PM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I believe, as well, in the power of play. It is my goal to set up the environment and let them play and learn in the process. Yep, they can learn academically through play! Story in point....I had a 4 yr old dcb once that continually talked about his grandpa/mom/dad and milking cows on their farm. Not occasionally but all the time....even if I was talking. He just seemed to jabber all the time. Anyway, I told my assistant that I was worried because I felt he wasn't learning anything and kindergarten was coming up for him. Well, to my surprise, he was telling his mom through all his talking at home what he had learned at daycare. So, never underestimate the power of play. He was more than prepared for school and is now in 4th grade. Even when it looks like they aren't getting it, they very well may be!
love it. they are constantly learning. set up a learning enviroment
Unregistered 02:59 AM 07-10-2014
I'm saying this in a nice way.......but three year olds do not need to know their alphabet or numbers, and I am a former kindergarten and preschool teacher.

The world is full of so many things for three's to be learning about and exploring. The alphabet and numbers are boring! KWIM?
Meyou 04:13 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm saying this in a nice way.......but three year olds do not need to know their alphabet or numbers, and I am a former kindergarten and preschool teacher.

The world is full of so many things for three's to be learning about and exploring. The alphabet and numbers are boring! KWIM?
It's pretty easy for 3 year olds to learn colors and numbers while learning only through play. All of my 2's know their colors through play and can count to 10 from a snack counting game we play each afternoon. The kids made up the game and I've just been following their lead.
Unregistered 04:51 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
It's pretty easy for 3 year olds to learn colors and numbers while learning only through play. All of my 2's know their colors through play and can count to 10 from a snack counting game we play each afternoon. The kids made up the game and I've just been following their lead.
Colors, yes! I agree with!
Unregistered 04:53 AM 07-10-2014
Also, counting in a fun way is different than drilling kids on number and alphabet recognition.
Second Home 05:00 AM 07-10-2014
I do things like count out how many grapes I give , how many toys I take out .
I have foam shapes that we play match with etc....
They are all games for the kids but they see and hear me counting or saying the color , shape and number .I write my name and the kids names in chalk outside , they see the colors and the letters . They do learn by these games .

I have found that some kids will resist the more you try to teach them and it is a battle you will not win . I try to make any learning fun because if it is fun they will want to play ( learn ) .

We planted flowers this spring . I went through my whole speech about how flowers grow and the type of flower we planted helps to keep bugs away . Fast forward to 2 weeks ago where a dcg saw my flower and began telling her mom all about the type of flower and how it keeps bugs away . The mom looked at me and rolled her eyes . I said " yes , she is right those flowers do keep bugs away " . Even though it did not seem dcg was listening she was .
ruthkeith 01:14 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by SJT43015:
Have any of you had a child that absolutely shows no interest in learning? I'm trying to have a structured learning time for a few hours a day doing various things. I watch a 3 year old girl and no matter what I do, she will not sit and participate. We've worked a lot with my 2.5 year old son and he knows his letters and numbers really well.

When I try and work on letters and numbers with her, she just says she doesn't know. I even do three letters at a time with flashcards and go back to the first letter and she says she doesn't know and gets up and won't sit for circle time.

I'm really at a loss at how to teach her. Her mom said that they have foam letters and she'll throw a few in at bath time and work with her, but it doesn't seem like she's picking anything up.

I really want to help her prepare for preschool like I do with my own son, but I've never met a child who is so resistant to learn anything at all.

Any suggestions? Maybe something fun that got the kids wanting to learn. Right now, I'm just trying to get her to do letter and number recognition to start.
This is really tough! But I have had almost similar problem and tried a number of fun activities like story telling, songs, games and after sometime he started taking interest. So, I would suggest the same things for this little girl. May be if something catches her interest she will start learning fast. All the best.
sally 03:20 AM 11-25-2014
I have a 4 year old dcboy who has no interest in learning whatsoever. He will not listen to books, he won't even look at a book. He doesn't know how to color or hold a crayon even after working with him over a year. He only wants to watch tv and play. But when he does play you have to watch him carefully because he doesn't play with toys nicely. He uses them to hammer on each other or hit others. He has major speech delays and you cannot understand him when he talks. I have no idea how to get him interested in anything.
Givingthemgrace 10:00 AM 12-30-2014
There are ways to teach that are more fun than flash cards. Pinterest has a lot of ideas. For kids who aren't interested in reading, you could try doing a magnet or felt board activity to go along with a book. They pay attention because they are waiting for their turn to stick their picture on the board.
Heidi 03:17 PM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
I have a 4 year old dcboy who has no interest in learning whatsoever. He will not listen to books, he won't even look at a book. He doesn't know how to color or hold a crayon even after working with him over a year. He only wants to watch tv and play. But when he does play you have to watch him carefully because he doesn't play with toys nicely. He uses them to hammer on each other or hit others. He has major speech delays and you cannot understand him when he talks. I have no idea how to get him interested in anything.
I see this is a few weeks old, but the first thing that springs to mind is "turn the TV off!"

Play starters..."hey, DCB, how about you build a block tower? Like this....(start a tower, then stay nearby). Wow! That's really tall!"

Giving him tasks like stringing beads, puzzles, etc.

He sounds like he needs a speech evaluation.
Tags:learning resources, learning stages, learning technique
Reply Up