Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Headphones And Books On Tape/Cd For Kids
SunflowerMama 04:30 AM 03-18-2011
For any of you that include a setup somewhere in your space for the kids to listen to different books on tape using headphones I have a few questions.

- Is it just a basic tape player or a special player that has mutiple plugs for more than one kid to listen at a time.

- Where did you purchase the books/tapes and headphones?

I tried craigslist without much luck and haven't done much of a web search yet because just decided to add a little corner in my space for kids to listen to stories with headphones.

Any info would be great. Thanks!!
Cat Herder 05:15 AM 03-18-2011
As much as I hate to admit it...my neon yellow 80's "Madonna" Walkman still works just fine....

They still sell similar ones in the discount stores, really cheap. I let them sit on a mat and turn the page when they hear the beep....

Oh, and you can check out childrens books/tapes sets at your local library....
Blackcat31 05:37 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
For any of you that include a setup somewhere in your space for the kids to listen to different books on tape using headphones I have a few questions.

- Is it just a basic tape player or a special player that has mutiple plugs for more than one kid to listen at a time.

- Where did you purchase the books/tapes and headphones?

I tried craigslist without much luck and haven't done much of a web search yet because just decided to add a little corner in my space for kids to listen to stories with headphones.

Any info would be great. Thanks!!
I buy all my books with CD's from Scholastic: http://clubs.scholastic.com/cool/login.jsp
The sets are under $20 for 4 or more books. Great deals! Worth signing up for and everytime you order you earn points that gets you free stuff!

I do have something similar to this:

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...02106606~~.jsp

but if you do not want to spend alot of money I originally started out with kid size headphones purchased from Target for under $5 a pair and a regular CD player with a multi-headphone jack like this one http://stereoheadphonesplitter.com/m...th-dvd-player/ purchased from Radio Shack or Best Buy for under $15.

Originally Posted by Catherder:
As much as I hate to admit it...my neon yellow 80's "Madonna" Walkman still works just fine....

They still sell similar ones in the discount stores, really cheap. I let them sit on a mat and turn the page when they hear the beep....

Oh, and you can check out childrens books/tapes sets at your local library....
Catherder: your comment made me laugh because I always say "Walkman" when I am talking about my i-pod and my DS keeps saying "Mom, what IS a Walkman? and why do you keep calling your i-pod that?" He really had no idea what in the world a Walkman was!!!
countrymom 05:45 AM 03-18-2011
I thought about doing this, I never knew they had a spliter, I will have to get one, does the spliter fit in an IPOD NANO, cause 2 of my kids have them and the other 2 don't this would save me alot of headache. Our library (which is now across the street from me ya!) has tons of books.
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I thought about doing this, I never knew they had a spliter, I will have to get one, does the spliter fit in an IPOD NANO, cause 2 of my kids have them and the other 2 don't this would save me alot of headache. Our library (which is now across the street from me ya!) has tons of books.
Yep, the splitter accepts headphones and most headphone jacks are universal so all the plugs fit. I have also used my old i-pod nano for that exact thing.
melskids 08:58 AM 03-18-2011
i use old walkman's and discman's too. i found most of them at yard sales.
MG&Lsmom 09:18 AM 03-18-2011
Thanks for the great info! I've been wanting to do with for so long now. Mine fight over the Tag Reader but those books are so expensive and they are bored with what I have already.
Tags:audio book, books, dvd, headphones, music
Reply Up