Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare For Child With Behavior Issues
frustrated 06:17 PM 10-28-2016
Child has been thrown out of 3 daycares in 2 months for behavior. How do I find daycares for kids with behavioral issues in WA state? We need help fast.
spedmommy4 12:31 PM 10-29-2016
Originally Posted by frustrated:
Child has been thrown out of 3 daycares in 2 months for behavior. How do I find daycares for kids with behavioral issues in WA state? We need help fast.
What are the issues? My daughter is on the Austism spectrum so behaviors were a big issue when she was in preschool.

In choosing care, I looked for providers that had more experience and education. I also looked for a solid discipline policy that included teaching my daughter how to handle conflict, etc. (not just time out) And although it was hard, I found it helpful to be completely honest upfront about her behavior, and how I was on board will resolving the issues. I worked closely with my daughters providers to reduce the most challenging behaviors and she made it through the early childhood years with minimumal change.

Hope this helps a little. . .
daycarediva 09:44 AM 10-31-2016
I need more information.

Is your child special needs?

How old?

What are the behavioral issues the child cares are seeing?

It would have to be EXTREME to be kicked out repeatedly.
frustrated 02:30 PM 10-31-2016
Thank you so much for your responses. He is 4 (5 in Dec.). Has some cognitive and communication issues, and serious separation anxiety. I can't leave the room without him getting anxious. He is anxious and very sensitive but most people don't see that as he hides these things by being very social and charming. He is fine one minute and then the next is having an episode of hitting, kicking, spitting, throwing things, etc. wanting Mommy. We are up front with the providers and more than willing to work on this, but traditional daycares aren't set up for this kind of behavior, and can't spend the time needed to bring him down. All the providers loved him (he was at one for 2 years), and felt really bad, but could not keep him...it is a safety issue for the other clients and the providers. He interacts well with others unless he is in an episode, and we have not been able to identify any triggers other than "I want my Mommy". We hope to get him into some testing to identify the issues, but unfortunately his primary care physician has closed her practice and so we must find a new Dr. so that he can be referred to the specialties.
daycarediva 09:32 AM 11-01-2016
At almost 5, those are very serious behaviors to be struggling with. Not separating from a parent easily at that age is concerning alone. The delays should have already been addressed. He has already aged out of most programs, and will need services prior to starting kindergarten next year.

I think you will need a special needs preschool or a nanny (1:1) (or both, as most preschools are 1/2 day programs).

Please call your insurance company and ask for an in network provider who can do a developmental evaluation immediately. The longer you wait to receive services, the harder it is on your child.
Reply Up