Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter to remind parents about holiday closing?
Brooksie 09:38 AM 12-05-2012
How do you guys approach the reminder of being closed for the holidays? I want to make sure everyone understands that I'll be closed from Christmas eve-New years day, and that its a paid holiday vacation. Its in their contracts and they've all signed it, but I have a feeling its probably not on their minds. For instance I am supposed to be off black Friday too and had a DCG dropped off. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
butterfly 09:46 AM 12-05-2012
I do a monthly mass email to all parents, reminding them of closures and our monthly theme/learning activities. I also will post a note on the front door. My closures are also in my handbook. For the couple parents I've been concerned about remembering my time off, I'd casually ask "what do have planned for the long Christmas break..." And I've straight out reminded some verbally that I'll be closed. Then on the last day of pick up I'll say "see you on xx"
littlemissmuffet 12:06 PM 12-05-2012
I have a magnetic board at my front door where parents sign in/out. At the beginning of each month I post a reminder about when fees are due and any days we might be closed/closing early. I also send an email with reminders at the beginning of most months - which will include any dates closed. I have had parents "forget" and try to drop off, but when they realize the door is locked and nobody is answering they leave
spud912 01:13 PM 12-05-2012
Your post made me realize that I remind parents repeatedly, which I suppose is why I never really have an issue. Here is where they know about pre-planned closures:

daycare 01:17 PM 12-05-2012
the way that I have found to be most useful is to invoice the parents monthly.

I create the invoice using minute menu kids and then I save each one as a PDF file. I then email the parents their invoice on the 10th of each month one month in advance. I will remind them on the invoice and will make sure that I create credits or discounts if necessary.

I also have a white board hung to the back of my door that will post all important information.

The week of I will send one last friendly email reminder.
Meeko 01:31 PM 12-05-2012
In the past few months, since moving my daycare to my home, my husband urged me to change the way I do things.

I was bad for stressing over whether I had posted enough reminders, made enough calls, made enough comments etc. about things that needed remembered.

He reminded me that I was being paid to tend the children.....not their parents.

He told me to relax and let them fend for themselves and take responsibility for their own children.

I now just post a calendar by the entrance with closed days on it. Told them that was all I was going to do from now on. That's it. THEIR responsibility to take note. If they show up, I will point, say sorry and close the door (if I even open it)

I had a hard time at first, but now it's released me from so much stress. I am not their keeper.
daycare 01:40 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In the past few months, since moving my daycare to my home, my husband urged me to change the way I do things.

I was bad for stressing over whether I had posted enough reminders, made enough calls, made enough comments etc. about things that needed remembered.

He reminded me that I was being paid to tend the children.....not their parents.

He told me to relax and let them fend for themselves and take responsibility for their own children.

I now just post a calendar by the entrance with closed days on it. Told them that was all I was going to do from now on. That's it. THEIR responsibility to take note. If they show up, I will point, say sorry and close the door (if I even open it)

I had a hard time at first, but now it's released me from so much stress. I am not their keeper.
sorry to sidetrack but wanted to comment.

I used to offer up a ton of reminders. Every place that I could think of. Well not that long ago I was talking to a parent who's child had graduated out of my program.

DCM tells me boy did you spoil us rotten with all of those lovely reminders. She then goes on to tell me that in the elementary school, the teacher gave one calender and posted stuff to her website at the start of each month and that was it. So she said it took time getting used to the adjustment of not having all the reminders.

Since then, I have cut back on the amount of reminders that I give. If you hold their hand too much, it will be harder for them once their kid starts school.
Nickel 08:34 PM 12-05-2012
Honestly I send home a little half sheet or paper that says in big bold font that says
REMINDER Xdaycare will be closed for the following paid holidays as well as the following unpaid holidays. Thank you. Then I attach a similar only bigger reminder on my sign in sheet. Parents literally have to turn the paper back to sign kn and out. Ive had zero problems doing it this way.

For Xmas I have
xdaycare will be closed for Christmas from December x - Jan x thank you and happy holidays.

Sorry for typos I'm on my kindle.
CrackerJacks 09:06 PM 12-05-2012
Usually in the month leading up to my vacation or extended holiday (turkey day and Xmas) I will send out 2 emails listing the exact dates that are holidays and which ones are vacation. I also verbally remind them on the last day of care.

Example:

Just a friendly reminder that I will be closed the following days.
Dec 24-Jan 1 care will recommence on Tuesday January 2 2013
Dec 24-27 Xmas holiday
Dec 28 vacation day
Dec 31 New Year's Eve holiday
Jan 1 New Years Day holiday
DaisyMamma 03:12 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
For instance I am supposed to be off black Friday too and had a DCG dropped off.
I certainly hope you sent her away!!!

Originally Posted by Nickel:
Then I attach a similar only bigger reminder on my sign in sheet. Parents literally have to turn the paper back to sign kn and out.
This is the only thing I do.
MarinaVanessa 04:13 PM 12-06-2012
I print a simple sign and stick it right on my front door and leave it there the whole time to remind parents. Then I lock my door.

REMINDER

We will be closed for PAID vacation
Monday December 24th
to
Tuesday January 1st

Don't forget that payment covering these weeks
are due no later than Friday December 21st

We look forward to seeing you again on
Wednesday January 3rd.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Reply Up