Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice on Food, wwyd?
E Daycare 01:10 PM 04-26-2012
Ok, we all have food issues with kids on here. I've always had issues with all my dcks. I serve home made organic healthy food. I don't do food program so I don't claim anything. I want to feed the kids good because I eat good. Set healthy examples. Blah blah blah NOTHING WORKS AND I WASTE SO MUCH CRAP!

Seriously. None of the dck eat jack crap. I spent $3k on food last year for most of it to go down the drain. I've had these kids a year and half too. I have one kid who eats NOTHING. To the point where his mom finally made him a doc appt for this weekend to see someone. I ask all the time "what do your kids eat?" and get the same " oh you know, sandwhiches and oranges and cereal and spaghetti" but to no fail I can't get them to eat it here. It's multiple children from multiple homes. I'm pretty sure it's Mcfatty mcfat fat for dinner and when they aren't with me but the parents are ashamed to admit it because of how I am. The kid going to the doctor tells me he eats spaghetti Os a lot. All these kids are 3. I make the baby puréed food here and she eats better than they do. I'm SO OUT OF MY MIND on what I dump. I serve little servings and yet that goes wasted. I have hidden veggies in sauces and food I make. I dress up foods. I use good for you substitutes and still no one eats. Even make "fast food" my way. Yeah, right.

I told my husband next time chef crap R dee has stuff on sale I'm gonna buy stock in that and serve it to the dck. Keep up on my son as I always cook for him and he eats everything (spinach applesauce anyone? My kid eats it!) and call it a day. I'm so fed up with it. Really, I can't get over what I spent last year and how much these kids just didn't eat. Just so they can be hungry when mom comes and mom says "well, we are going to sky line so that's ok".

My head exploded that day.

Am I wrong deciding to just serve crap from now on cause I just can't take it anymore?
AnythingsPossible 02:30 PM 04-26-2012
I have 7 kids most days and out of the 7, 2 to 3 usually eat. It doesn't seem to matter rather it is kid food or not. Monday I made a pasta with zucchini and peppers in it, no body touched it. We also had baked/breaded zucchini, my 2-3 good eaters are them, but no one else did. Tuesday I did Scrambled Eggs(egg beaters), Roasted Sweet Potato, Applesauce. The majority ate the applesauce, some ate eggs, no one ate the sweet potato. Yesterday, I gave up and made PB&J, I had 2 that still wouldn't eat. Today I made Mac and Cheese, and again had 2 that wouldn't eat.

Beef Stew doesn't work, Taco Salad is a no go, BBQ Chicken, Tuna Casserole, Chili, Roast Beef-Nope, Nope, Nope, Nope. I have no clue what they eat at home, but they don't eat jack here. I know I have one mom that if I tell her that her son had a day that he wouldn't eat, she replies with-should we go get you some nuggets? Yep, that's exactly what you should do. One of my worse eaters, I talk to him mom fairly regularly about what he eats. She says he eats well at home. Granola Bars, Yogurt, Waffles, Fruit Snacks. Unlimited amounts. Super.

I figure I will continue to feed them the way I have been, because for one, it's how my family eats so it's easier, and I don't want to have to buy more groceries to cater to kids who don't want to eat a regular meal.

Next week we are doing Broccoli-Cheese-Potato Bake-Hot Dog Tater Tot dish-Chili with Baked apples and corn cakes-Bbq Chicken with bkd beans and rice. I can already tell you who will eat on which days, but I can't cater to all their wants. I try to do one "fun"(read crappy) meal a week to please the picky ones, but they usually have issues with something in that too.

So no real advice. Just a little comradery from the daycare lunch trenches!!
Ariana 02:39 PM 04-26-2012
Absolutely not!!

I charge parents more $$ because of what I serve. I continue to serve it whether they eat it or not. I have one girl who eats nothing. It's funny because the parents were grilling me about my lunches and making sure I served very healthy food. Their kid came here and ate nothing so I asked the parents what her favorite foods were. I got a list with sausages, pancakes, soup in a can...about the only healthy thing they listed was hummus and pita!! I got an e-mail from the dad telling me she loves pea soup from a can, so the next time I went to the crocery store I checked the can and there was like 1000mg of sodium in it!! of course she liked it and no wonder she hates my food

I provide a service that feeds children a few times a day and it's up to them whether or not they eat it. I can't control what parents do and what they choose to eat so I don't really worry about it. I can totally understand your frustration and if Crap Boyardee will make you feel less frustrated then go for it
Heidi 03:09 PM 04-26-2012
I only have one picky eater in the group, thank you very much! My other 4 eat almost anything.

I give everyone a small serving based on what I think they will eat. If I know someone hates green beans, for instance, I'll put two on their plate, and more of what I know they like (homemade mac and cheese is a favorite..actually, anything with pasta). I try not to make that obvious to everyone else, though.

My policy is they can have refills once their plate is empty. I rarely have someone who refuses to eat the 2 or 3 green beans when they know they can get more mac and cheese. If they don't want to eat them, that's fine...

At the end of the meal, leftovers go in the freezer for another meal. As long as it hasn't been on someone's plate, it gets frozen.

I do have a litle waste here and there, but not much.

I guess I wouldn't get worked up over it, if I were you ladies. Just put small portions on their plate, and if it doesn't get eaten, so what. You've got a whole other meal already made!
Country Kids 03:26 PM 04-26-2012
I've actually started feeding in courses and it has worked wonderful. I serve the main part first, then veggies, then bread, the fruit. All the kids think its dessert! I've thrown less away doing it this way then I ever have. So sad it took me this long to figure it out.
AmyLeigh 04:14 PM 04-26-2012
Dear Parents,

I have been reviewing my program and have decided on the following changes. In lieu of raising my rates, I am requesting that each child come with lunch and 2 snacks per day. I will provide water and milk to go along with your child's meals. If a child arrives without his/her food for the day, I will provide food for a $5 surcharge. This will go into effect May 14, 2012. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely
Your daycare provider.
3girls 04:56 PM 04-26-2012
Mine aren't eaters either. I serve mostly organic food also and I try not to stress about it. At my house lunch/dinner is the same so theres a designated spot for any leftovers plus my own children usually eat well.

The thing that really bugs me is...take two bites of an apple throw it out and ask for another....grrr
Kiki 05:06 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by 3girls:
The thing that really bugs me is...take two bites of an apple throw it out and ask for another....grrr
Slice that bad boy up! I do that here (even with my own kids), at least then, if they don't eat all of it, and somebody else wants it, they can eat it because no butt hands, and slobber mouths have been all over it!

I have picky eaters too, the ones that don't like lettuce, or don't like this kind of fruit so on and so on. I serve it anyway, eventually they just learn to eat what is on their plate, because they know that I don't server after our meal times. Ever. No matter how many times they tell me they are hungry, my answer is always, 'You should have ate what was offered, now you have to wait until snack/lunch/whatever meal is next'.

Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I've actually started feeding in courses and it has worked wonderful. I serve the main part first, then veggies, then bread, the fruit. All the kids think its dessert! I've thrown less away doing it this way then I ever have. So sad it took me this long to figure it out.
What a great idea, I'm going to try this out on Monday!
MizzCheryl 05:23 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Ok, we all have food issues with kids on here. I've always had issues with all my dcks. I serve home made organic healthy food. I don't do food program so I don't claim anything. I want to feed the kids good because I eat good. Set healthy examples. Blah blah blah NOTHING WORKS AND I WASTE SO MUCH CRAP!

Seriously. None of the dck eat jack crap. I spent $3k on food last year for most of it to go down the drain. I've had these kids a year and half too. I have one kid who eats NOTHING. To the point where his mom finally made him a doc appt for this weekend to see someone. I ask all the time "what do your kids eat?" and get the same " oh you know, sandwhiches and oranges and cereal and spaghetti" but to no fail I can't get them to eat it here. It's multiple children from multiple homes. I'm pretty sure it's Mcfatty mcfat fat for dinner and when they aren't with me but the parents are ashamed to admit it because of how I am. The kid going to the doctor tells me he eats spaghetti Os a lot. All these kids are 3. I make the baby puréed food here and she eats better than they do. I'm SO OUT OF MY MIND on what I dump. I serve little servings and yet that goes wasted. I have hidden veggies in sauces and food I make. I dress up foods. I use good for you substitutes and still no one eats. Even make "fast food" my way. Yeah, right.

I told my husband next time chef crap R dee has stuff on sale I'm gonna buy stock in that and serve it to the dck. Keep up on my son as I always cook for him and he eats everything (spinach applesauce anyone? My kid eats it!) and call it a day. I'm so fed up with it. Really, I can't get over what I spent last year and how much these kids just didn't eat. Just so they can be hungry when mom comes and mom says "well, we are going to sky line so that's ok".

My head exploded that day.

Am I wrong deciding to just serve crap from now on cause I just can't take it anymore?
Are the children ill and grouchy when they don't eat?
E Daycare 08:35 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Dear Parents,

I have been reviewing my program and have decided on the following changes. In lieu of raising my rates, I am requesting that each child come with lunch and 2 snacks per day. I will provide water and milk to go along with your child's meals. If a child arrives without his/her food for the day, I will provide food for a $5 surcharge. This will go into effect May 14, 2012. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely
Your daycare provider.
THIS! This is exactly what I have thought of doing too. I also wanted to attach my grocery records to the note too so they could see what I purchase but figure that might push it. Lol

I may do this with my new 3days a week schedule I'm going to do starting the new school year.

It's just after two years of doing this and having one other kid besides my kid eat food I just want to throw my hands up. All my prep into what to serve as a menu, making the list, shopping, putting the food together and serving it just to hear "these don't look like McDonald's chicken nuggets" really made me snap.

FINE THEN, GO TO MCDONADLS! This isn't a drive thru.
E Daycare 08:51 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
Are the children ill and grouchy when they don't eat?
No grouchy kids till after nap. I started to implement self pick and serve snack and offer a few varieties of snacks and fruit so they just wait till 3:30pm snack time. At first I though it was a power struggle but realized a trend. The ones that say they want their kids to eat healthy and the ones that make sure they make the point to feed their kids healthy.

I make home made baby food. Takes 6 minutes start to finish. 1min to chop, 3 to steam, 1 to purée and 1 min to pour into ice cube trays to freeze. One mom told me she doesn't have the time yet she stresses the importance. If I can do it while watching 5 kids, she can do it when she takes a "me day".

I lost 30lbs this new year. I saw I was getting off track and made myself work at it and I knew I had to show my son (not just tell him) how to be healthy. My BMI went from 30.1 to 25. I'm at my proper BMI for my age (almost 30- my goal was 30lbs lost by 30 yrs which is may 31st and I hit the goal last week!!), lost inches, gained energy and confidence and I feel like I can be the proper role model. I have 10 more pounds to go before I feel like I've beaten my old self but I'm getting there and it's hard work but that's it, its WORK. These parents know I mean business, say they are "jealous" yet can't muster up the strength to skip the drive thru.

I have serious family health issues ranging from my mother dying at 30 to cancer to every grandparent having heart disease, diabetes and/or obesity. When we decided to have my son I told my husband "this family history crap stops here". I mean it. I don't want my son having issues from something that couldve been prevented and that he had no say in.

I tell my husband all the time "I feel alone in this fight to feed the kids right or care". I do. I really feel I'm the only one in my circle that cares about what we eat.

That's why I get so angry.
3girls 10:25 PM 04-26-2012
Congrats on the weight loss & breaking a bad cycle E Daycare!

countrymom 06:07 AM 04-28-2012
yup, I know what you mean. I ask parents what they eat at home and everyone of them said "nuggets" I have one that eats it everyday.
Reply Up