Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Of A Teacher - Wants To Take The Summer Off
delferka 06:03 PM 07-27-2017
Hi, I'm considering taking a new baby in the fall three days per week. Mom is a school teacher and has the summers off. That means that I don't get paid during the summer and those slots don't get filled.
What do you guys do about this? I don't want a decrease in salary during the summer!

MissAnn 06:08 PM 07-27-2017
I do 2 days at half price of full time to save spot.
delferka 06:11 PM 07-27-2017
So half of the three days? I charge $35 per day.
Annalee 06:12 PM 07-27-2017
My teacher mom pays full-price for the summer. She is on her third summer to pay.
delferka 06:30 PM 07-27-2017
Does she bring her kids at all during the summer?
Annalee 06:32 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by delferka:
Does she bring her kids at all during the summer?
She has come a couple days a week this summer. She pays by the month in advance so I don't ever have to worry about the money in the summer which is nice.
MissAnn 06:53 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by delferka:
So half of the three days? I charge $35 per day.
I charge more for part time. So, to reserve their spot they pay 1/2 of full time fee and can come 2 days.
Jupadia 08:47 PM 07-27-2017
I don't currently have aNY teacher parents but will have an opening for 2+ kid to start in January (when one of my urgent ones turns 2, I get to add in another kid cause my own starts school in Sept.) I plan to advertise to teachers cause the space is only available if I only have 1 under 2 and it's between September to June while my own in school. School breaks will not put my ratios over so I'll charge regular for them. But during the summer I don't plan to charge but hold a deposit equal to 2 weeks pay for the spot for September. I won't charge in summer just cause I can't have a 6 kid during that time.
Personally in your case I would charge for it since you will have an availablety open and losing money because of it.
e.j. 09:18 PM 07-27-2017
My teacher families pay their full rate during the summer if they want a guaranteed spot in the fall. They can opt not to pay and hope for the best but most usually pay and bring their kids at least part time, if not full time. They use their child-free time to clean, run errands, take classes, etc.
hwichlaz 09:19 PM 07-27-2017
I have two teacher's kids. My daughter is 7, and the kids that grew up in daycare with her come back and take the teachers' kids' spots for the summer so it hasn't been a problem. It's still a reduction, but not much of one for an easier couple of months and my daughter getting friends her age to play with.
Josiegirl 02:43 AM 07-28-2017
I take SA during the summers which replaced teachers' time off during the summer.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 07-28-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My teacher families pay their full rate during the summer if they want a guaranteed spot in the fall. They can opt not to pay and hope for the best but most usually pay and bring their kids at least part time, if not full time. They use their child-free time to clean, run errands, take classes, etc.
This. I am a business and my goal is to earn an income. NOT lose money so someone else can save money.

Teachers might not work a full year but they still receive a full yearly salary so like I said, I refuse to lose money just so someone else can save.

I require payment in full all 52 weeks a year and all rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used.

Its also important to remember that other professions sometimes have seasonal lay offs or may only work part of the year and yet no one assumes we are giving the FREE by holding a space for them.

I have many daycare parents that work in the construction field and have periodic layoffs over the winter or during the Spring but they never ask me to not get paid while I save their space for free so if I don't do it for them too I am certainly not doing it for teachers.

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I take SA during the summers which replaced teachers' time off during the summer.
I used to take SA kids and could easily fill gaps in the summer but I don't any more.

I had to choose between my sanity and not taking them.
KSDC 07:35 AM 07-28-2017
I offer my teachers the option of full-time or a part-time that is only mornings. Child is to be picked up by noon. I am willing to do this because I like have a smaller group in the afternoon when I take the kids the the local swimming pool. So, the benefits of slightly less kids make the cut in salary worth it for me.

I have had teachers that paid for the summer and never brought their children. And other teachers that send their kids every day. It is their choice on how to use it. My only condition is that they have to let me know their weekly schedule 1 week in advance so I can plan accordingly.
Indoorvoice 07:36 AM 07-28-2017
Starting in September I will have all teacher kids. I would prefer to work only a few days a week in the summer. So I took my normal yearly tuition, subtracted 5 weeks of tuition (what I felt was fair to me) and spread it over 52 weeks. Parents agreed not to send over school breaks or snow days and I agreed they could send their kids any day over the summer with 48 hours notice for no extra. Yes I'm making a little less, but parents feel they are getting somewhat of a break, I get much more days off, and I get paid the same amount every week for the whole year whether I work or not.
laundrymom 10:51 AM 07-28-2017
Yep. Here too. I'm worth it to them.
Originally Posted by e.j.:

daycarediva 03:20 AM 07-31-2017
Few different ways you can handle it-

require payment for all 52 weeks
total your annual tuition and break that number down into 10 months worth of payments
have her attend 1/2 the time during summer-reduce rate by 1/2

Previously, I charged for it. I only had 6 spaces so I couldn't do a loss of income.

My current center wasn't charging anything- but wasn't guaranteeing spaces either. Wasn't an issue before, is now. What I did was break the annual tuition down into 10 monthly payments, deducted 10% and called it a 'teacher's rate'. No charge over summer to the parent, but that's been paid up, so it evens out.
Tags:holding spot - fee, summer - closed
Reply Up