Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potentially Difficult Term...
finsup 05:32 PM 08-07-2017
So some of you may remember me talking about my "self absorbed family." This family has been the one to tell me "no" when I've told them about taking time off, asked me to switch my vacation days, tries to change their schedule at 10:00 at night when they've been told they cannot do that this late and so on. Most recently, dcm requested to change her pick up time to 5 instead of 5:30 to get a lower rate. I had no problem with this. Two days into the new rate, she shows up at 5:15. Got very mad about late fees, and told me "5:00 just wasn't realistic" despite HER choosing the time. She wants the later pick up, but for the lower rate No.

So after that whole fiasco being the last straw, I posted the ad to fill their spot. Ad was up for two days, had an interview on Sunday that will be a MUCH better fit and they are starting in September (I advertised for a September start date, I'm on vacation next week and wanted a bit of time in between). Now, help with terming please! I know the term is probably not going to go well. She's going to ask a ton of "but why??" And I'll probably have to get into it a bit more then just a "this is no longer a good fit." Suggestions for the letter? And when to give it? They're out until Wednesday, I could do it on Friday before vacation or the Friday when I get back (to avoid issues at pick up, definitely Friday, when she's had a chance to calm down). Just not sure what's best. Contract wise, I only have to give two weeks. Money wise, it really isn't a huge deal if they get mad and don't come back at all.

Just trying to make this as simple and drama free as possible. And with this family, it's going to be a challenge.
Denali 06:03 PM 08-07-2017
What ever letter you do, just make sure to have a part in it that says something along the lines of - "failure to follow policies during this notice period will result in an immediate termination of child care services, with no refund of any fees paid."

That will give you an out when she starts being the butt you know she'll be. And do it. You don't have to deal with her being a jerk.
finsup 06:13 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:
What ever letter you do, just make sure to have a part in it that says something along the lines of - "failure to follow policies during this notice period will result in an immediate termination of child care services, with no refund of any fees paid."

That will give you an out when she starts being the butt you know she'll be. And do it. You don't have to deal with her being a jerk.
Yes! Definitely will need to remember this! It's in my policies, but a "reminder" will absolutely be included in my letter.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:02 PM 08-07-2017
Rip the bandaid, do it sooner rather than later. You already know there will be drama, so just broken record answers to minimize it. If you do it before vacation, does that count in your two weeks of notice? That would be one week you wouldn't have to deal crazy, and if it's not included it gives them an extra week to find alternative care and be on their way out.
daycarediva 03:01 AM 08-08-2017
If it were ME, the next time she walked in at 5:01 I would term immediately.

aside from that solution, I would give it to her on Friday the 18th at pickup with 9/1 being their last day in care (assuming new family starts 9/4 or 9/5 if you're off).

WHY do people sign contracts that they have NO intent of abiding by???
finsup 04:21 AM 08-08-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
If it were ME, the next time she walked in at 5:01 I would term immediately.

aside from that solution, I would give it to her on Friday the 18th at pickup with 9/1 being their last day in care (assuming new family starts 9/4 or 9/5 if you're off).

WHY do people sign contracts that they have NO intent of abiding by???
I won't be back from vacation yet :/ Otherwise that would be good timing. But yes, if she does show up late at any point that will decide it for me lol.
I don't get it, I really don't. Especially when they had until 5:30 before that. I didn't ask them to change it, she requested it. Shocking that you actually have to pay more if you use more time
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 08-08-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
I won't be back from vacation yet :/ Otherwise that would be good timing. But yes, if she does show up late at any point that will decide it for me lol.
I don't get it, I really don't. Especially when they had until 5:30 before that. I didn't ask them to change it, she requested it. Shocking that you actually have to pay more if you use more time
But you love her kid(s) so why would you not be willing to do more just for the love?

Hoping the whole notice and term go smoothly.
These situations suck. Especially when being an adult is an option now days....
finsup 01:15 PM 08-08-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
But you love her kid(s) so why would you not be willing to do more just for the love?

Hoping the whole notice and term go smoothly.
These situations suck. Especially when being an adult is an option now days....
Lol I bet she will try that one Thanks! I'm really hoping I'm wrong and it will all go smoothly.
Ariana 05:58 PM 08-08-2017
I am so happy for you! No one deserves this treatment. So glad you found new clients and hope the term goes well. Keep us updated on the drama
Tags:termination
Reply Up