Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Volunteer Opportunities For Kids Under 6?
Leigh 09:36 AM 08-13-2017
Anyone have ideas on how a kid can volunteer in the community at a young age?

I've considered the zoo or humane society, but have concerns about safety and sanitation. I've considered having them help at serving at our weekly banquet meal (a sponsored meal in our community open to all), but the younger ones would lose interest halfway through and would not be able to handle the demands of serving and cleaning up.

They'd do well with cleaning something up, but picking up litter is out because we have a huge meth problem, and I don't want them picking up something toxic or needles. Parks, walking paths, and ditches tend to have trash from "make on the go meth" that people make in their cars or even while walking their child down the biking trails.

I'd really like to get some of these kids out to volunteer (I have a few who would like to do something), but I'm stumped when I consider safety, supervision, sanitation.

Any ideas?
Josiegirl 03:02 PM 08-13-2017
How about making 'Thinking of you' cards for nursing home residents, pediatric floors in your local hospital, any place you can think of! Some elderly people hardly get any visitors whatsoever and it's so sad. Would it be possible for them to make cards to distribute? Dress for Halloween and visit a nursing home. Or check your local VFW for places to send cards that the kids make. They can start a collection for your local animal shelter; get a list of needed items and drop them off.

Our local fire dept. collects new toys and non-perishables for delivering right before Christmas. Last year we started collecting in September. I sent home a newsletter saying we were collecting change, toys, and canned goods. There wasn't much response until the season got a little colder and dcfs started thinking about Christmas. Then on a Friday right before dc closed, we all loaded up our cars and delivered it all to the fire station. Great time!
There is also a place locally that collects school supplies for kids and fills backpacks with them to distribute.

Check around your local area and see what businesses do that you could get your dcks to help with. Or go online and find a service person to adopt and send care packages/cards to.

Good luck and hope you get lots more ideas! I need to think of something for my kiddos to get them involved this fall.
flying_babyb 03:58 PM 08-13-2017
nursing homes! Call ahead and ask to see if there is person (or persons) who would like a visit from kids. We used to take our 3-5 each month as part of our program. Together they would play a game, do a activity and have a small healthy snack. It was a center so around 30 kids, 20 or so grandmas and grandpas, 6 teachers and 3 nursing home staff. Was a blast! The kids would look for their favorites every time.
Leigh 07:12 PM 08-13-2017
Great ideas! Thank you!
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 10-10-2017
Leigh, I was just wondering if you'd found any ideas yet for your kiddos?
I need to look around my area for something too. But my little ones are ages 4 mo, 13 mo, 3 3 yos; those are my FT'ers.
I know my neighbor's grandson is a fighter pilot, just sent overseas. I may contact my neighbor's dd and see if we could make care packages to send and distribute through him. IDK. I want it to be a personal thing, KWIM? Last year, the kids and I had lots of fun with our Santa Fund project but I kind of wanted to do something different this year. Most of my dcfs have pets and we have 2 dogs in our dc, so I might look into our local shelters.
Good luck with your community service project.
Leigh 09:15 AM 10-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Leigh, I was just wondering if you'd found any ideas yet for your kiddos?
I need to look around my area for something too. But my little ones are ages 4 mo, 13 mo, 3 3 yos; those are my FT'ers.
I know my neighbor's grandson is a fighter pilot, just sent overseas. I may contact my neighbor's dd and see if we could make care packages to send and distribute through him. IDK. I want it to be a personal thing, KWIM? Last year, the kids and I had lots of fun with our Santa Fund project but I kind of wanted to do something different this year. Most of my dcfs have pets and we have 2 dogs in our dc, so I might look into our local shelters.
Good luck with your community service project.
I haven't really gotten very far with this-other priorities right now. We have, however, started collecting can tabs for a nearby Ronald McDonald House. The kids love collecting them, and they are seeing a correlation between donating and the recipient. We have twins here who are served by a nearby children's hospital, and they feel that they are collecting these tabs to help the twins and other kids like them. They feel great about it, and I think that even this small thing has shown them that they can make a difference in helping. Truly, we'll be lucky if we can collect $25 worth of these tabs in 5 years, but what the kids are getting out of it is priceless.
hwichlaz 03:38 PM 10-10-2017
Hot socks (collecting new pairs of socks for the homeless)
Visiting the elderly
making cards for soldiers (our local group that can send is Operation Tango Mike)
Picking up trash at the park
Mom2Two 01:22 PM 10-11-2017
We just started a sock project. We're calling it "The Odd Sock Project." I'm trying to collect people's odd socks in good condition, match them as best we can, then give them to the homeless or other's who might need them.

I like it, because it's win/win.

I'm letting people know that I want to gather them, and I'm also asking others to let their circles know so they can also gather.

I'm thinking that it would be a good one for dck to help with.
Attached: Odd Socks Small.jpg (102.9 KB) 
Tags:volunteering
Reply Up