Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gifts
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:24 AM 08-18-2017
I'm just wondering how many of you give DCKs gifts for different occasions?

I try to keep it cheap, but invariably those gifts ending up LOOKING cheap, so I add to it, and before I know it, there goes $25! I do little treat bags for Halloween, Easter, and Valentines now, so that's much better for my pocketbook. But Christmas, birthdays, going-aways, and newborn siblings (that come here for daycare) gifts are getting to be a bit much. I can't help but think, "gosh, that would have paid for 2 pair of jeans for my own kid."

Last year for Christmas, I got them those "As Seen on TV" animal nightlights for $13 each. They were so cute and I'm sure the kids loved them, but I would have liked to have spent that $104 on my own family's Christmas. Plus, of my 8 families, I got one thank-you. One!

Do the parents expect it? Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I just quit it altogether. We can have our little parties and when they get picked up they leave with just an extra hug and a "Happy Birthday to my special girl/guy!"

What do you guys do? Do you have fantastic gift ideas that don't break the bank?
Cat Herder 07:39 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
What do you guys do? Do you have fantastic gift ideas that don't break the bank?
I enjoy doing for the kids, it makes my holidays more fun. That said I buy off season. I am already done with Christmas by hitting all the clearance sales all year.

The trick, IMHO, is to not buy fad stuff. Stick to the classics. Wooden toys, art kits, science kits, balls, instruments and building sets.
storybookending 07:50 AM 08-18-2017
For Christmas I got all my dcks little holiday themed stuffed animals (snowman, santa, reindeer, elf) from etsy. I found a woman that personalized them with their names across the belly. They were super cute and I believe came out at $7.49 a child. For their birthdays I have just been getting them each a little something in the $10-$15 range. A set of matchbox cars, a puzzle, a small carebear and I did a tshirt and shorts outfit for my child that turned 1. Just a little something to make them feel special.
midaycare 07:51 AM 08-18-2017
I do 2 parties a year, Halloween and Easter. I started limited spending to about $200-$300 each party. Then Christmas is a $15 gift each.

I don't have to, I like to. I've always liked giving presents.
rosieteddy 08:06 AM 08-18-2017
Don't forget that the gifts are tax deductible to. I always gave a good gift for Christmas pj's and a book or stuffed animal.Kolhs was great for that.I sent away for a personalized book one year (they loved that).I always bought some new toys or books for the daycare for when they came back after the holidays.The other holidays not so much.We would do valentines and have a treat for our snack(that was the party)Easter same. Childrens birthdays I provided cupcakes we sang I sent home a gift.under 20.00.I would go by what you feel is appropriate.If you feel that your spending to much don't,Maybe start this year with a notice about doing something small and buying things for the children to play with at daycare.Just do a cupcake party and give out coloring books and crayons.You could pick those up now while school supplies are on sale.
Baby Beluga 08:55 AM 08-18-2017
Gifts are tax deductible, but only up to $25 per child per year I believe. Tom Copeland could confirm that though.

I do gifts for Christmas and a new sibling. For Christmas I do a book in their favorite character/thing and for siblings I do diapers, wipes and an infant toy or diapers, wipes and an outfit depending on the gender of the child, whether they have older siblings clothing hand me downs, etc.
KSDC 08:59 AM 08-18-2017
I used to give toys for birthdays and Christmas. But, my munchkins have sooo many toys that I feel they don't really need me to add to the clutter!

I started gifting books a couple of years ago. I pick books that are favorites at my home. The children are so much more excited to receive a book with meaning from me than they were to get some $10 toy. And, I usually wind up spending less on the books that I did on the toys. Win!Win!

At Christmas I do another book and last year I added a pair of slippers to it. But, the slippers stayed at my house. I think I am going to do it again this year.
LysesKids 09:08 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by KSDC:
I used to give toys for birthdays and Christmas. But, my munchkins have sooo many toys that I feel they don't really need me to add to the clutter!

I started gifting books a couple of years ago. I pick books that are favorites at my home. The children are so much more excited to receive a book with meaning from me than they were to get some $10 toy. And, I usually wind up spending less on the books that I did on the toys. Win!Win!

At Christmas I do another book and last year I added a pair of slippers to it. But, the slippers stayed at my house. I think I am going to do it again this year.
This is me... Books; I found a few Authors I really like that have gorgeous Art drawings and I buy their books for our Winter Holiday Party. Since babies age out here at 18-21 months it's rare they see a 2nd Winter party, however when it happens I just give a different book by the same Author while everyone else gets the original one I chose. The only other things I do are cupcake parties for first birthdays & I do Mardi Gras with beads, tiny masks & a King cake (Cake is mainly for me & the parents lol - the littles try it, but I can get messy)
hwichlaz 10:14 AM 08-18-2017
I either stuff a small stocking (that they make) for them at Christmas, or give a small gift. Something nice though, usually a craft kit of some kind.

Any gift that I have them open and assemble here, goes into my craft/activity budget rather than my gift budget Goodie bags for Valentines, Halloween, etc...aren't in the gift budget, they are "party supplies"

I know it wasn't really what you asked, but it's how I can afford to do things for then for every little holiday and still write it off. Otherwise it exceeds the IRS's per kid gift cap. I just spend that gift cap on their Christmas gift.
hwichlaz 10:16 AM 08-18-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
This is me... Books; I found a few Authors I really like that have gorgeous Art drawings and I buy their books for our Winter Holiday Party. Since babies age out here at 18-21 months it's rare they see a 2nd Winter party, however when it happens I just give a different book by the same Author while everyone else gets the original one I chose. The only other things I do are cupcake parties for first birthdays & I do Mardi Gras with beads, tiny masks & a King cake (Cake is mainly for me & the parents lol - the littles try it, but I can get messy)
I love to give books. One year I did a "Night Before Christmas" book for each child. It included a DVD of the book being read to them. And then I added a little mug with a packet of hot chocolate and a candy cane in it.
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:05 PM 08-18-2017
Thanks, everyone!

I love the book ideas. Can pick some up inexpensively through Scholastic. Then, whatever the book is about, something small to go with it that correlates and doesn't look too chintzy. Whenever I find a cute combo, I'll get several sets and keep a list of who got what. And that shall be the extent of my gift-giving from here on out.

I like giving the children gifts, too, but at times a lot of things happen together (this week and next I have 2 leave, a new born sib start, and 2 birthdays-which prompted asking opinions on here), and it was painful shelling out a little over $100 for DC gifts when I would have liked to use it for back-to-school clothes for my kids.

And I will have to check on the tax point made here, too. I did not realize there might be a $25 max per child on that.
flying_babyb 06:19 PM 08-18-2017
depending on age- STICKERS!! I like to buy those 4 page sets for a buck at target. I also snag clearance deals from the see spot save section. Typical birthday gift: Minion bag, a little notebook, crayons Or a bag, a car and playdoh SO usually a $3 or less gift
Josiegirl 01:47 AM 08-19-2017
I have a hard time not overdoing in the gift department. I'd love to scale it back but feel awkward doing so; for the most part I have pretty generous, thoughtful, and respectful dcfs and don't feel I do enough for them. I'm appreciating the suggestions offered here.
One thing you could do, if you give gifts at a Christmas party is have a book swap and each parent brings in a book under $5.00(or whatever dollar amount you pick) and that way the children have more to open(for those of us with a mindset like mine ). Or if you're crafty(or have a crafty SO), make them something and make it all the same.
flying_babyb 03:52 PM 08-20-2017
love the book exchange idea! Nothing better than a good booK!
finsup 05:19 PM 08-20-2017
For Christmas I do a book and something that goes with it. If it's a winter book, I may do a pretty Mason jar with homemade hot chocolate mix, marshmallows etc. Something that encourages the family to be together. I've done day passes to the children's museum, places like that and generally the day ones aren't too expensive.

Other holidays, we make a treat snack for the day and send home extras. Birthdays it depends because my kids get invited as guests to their parties. So we generally end up getting a regular gift. I'm not sure what I'll do when they stop getting invited lol.
knoxmomof2 10:03 PM 08-20-2017
Before last Christmas, I did more for all of the Holidays. But the parents were rarely thankful and I realized I was just wasting my money.

If the kid has been with me for awhile, I get them a birthday gift (I spend $25, but I only keep 4 children). For Christmas last year, I made 1 hardcover photo books (Regular $27, but they had a promo code that made them $10 each) and just ordered a copy for each family. The kids made different treats and ornaments each week in December- that was their gift to their parents and the photo books were my gift to the kids and their parents.

We do small crafts for Mothers and Fathers Day and make / decorate cupcake and play games for Easter, Valentine's, etc. They're inexpensive and more about quality time than spending a bunch of money.

I'm done wasting my money on parents who don't appreciate it.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 08-21-2017
Originally Posted by KSDC:

I started gifting books a couple of years ago.
I agree, most kids have sooooo much stuff already that it's ridiculous. I think the gift expectation on a birthday or holiday has gotten out of hand in recent years. I've had DC kids that I've hardly had for a full season say "What are you buying me for my birthday?" or say "Can you get me this for Third Wednesday of the Month?"

Plus I have a dozen+ daycare kids.....that's ALOT of money to spend so I go the book route as well. Not just for cost alone but because I'd rather give a meaningful gift verses a disposable one that really served no purpose.

In the last couple years I've started offering parents the day for free if they take it off and spend it with their child celebrating their special day. About half my parents take the option.
Tags:gifts
Reply Up