Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>$ saving meals
MissAnn 05:42 PM 05-28-2014
But still nutritious. I don't do canned fruits, veggies or unhealthy proteins......I néed ideas!
So far I do

A bean day (thei fav is black beans)
A chicken day (fried rice or just cubed)
Spaghetti with ground turkey day
An egg day (scrambled or boiled)
A peanut butter day....usually on home made tortillas

More ideas?
craftymissbeth 08:41 PM 05-28-2014
I've been doing 2 bean days, a chicken day, a pb&j w/ an egg day, and a fish day.

Tomorrow I'm making a whole chicken ($5ish) in the crockpot with just some basic seasonings, steamed carrots, fresh broccoli, and buttered egg noodles. It's one of our favorite cheap meals. Plus, we eat the leftover chicken for dinner to freeze the rest for next week.

I try to base my meals on my food program reimbursement. Tomorrow's lunch gets me $14.40 from the food program and our lunch only cost maybe $11.
MissAnn 04:13 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I've been doing 2 bean days, a chicken day, a pb&j w/ an egg day, and a fish day.

Tomorrow I'm making a whole chicken ($5ish) in the crockpot with just some basic seasonings, steamed carrots, fresh broccoli, and buttered egg noodles. It's one of our favorite cheap meals. Plus, we eat the leftover chicken for dinner to freeze the rest for next week.

I try to base my meals on my food program reimbursement. Tomorrow's lunch gets me $14.40 from the food program and our lunch only cost maybe $11.
What kind of beans? My kids do not like pinto beans. I was thinking of making refried beans with coconut oil, homemade tortillas and cheese to make a tostada or quesadilla. Beans are so nutritious and cheap!

Dumb question....but do you really save by buying whole chickens versus frozen chicken breasts?

Thanks!
craftymissbeth 05:21 AM 05-29-2014
I have no idea what the difference in $$ is between the whole chicken vs breasts but somehow I'm coming ahead as far as the food program goes on that meal.

My kids LOVE kidney beans. Since my dck's are young, I make deconstructed chili: kidney beans (meat), diced tomatoes (veg), I can't remember what the other veg is k and cornbread.

We also do black bean and cheese quesadillas a lot and bean and cheese burritos. I just cook a bag of pinto beans in the crockpot one day and then freeze can sized portions. I throw a bag in a small pot, add a teensy bit of oil salt and pepper, and mush it as they warm up.
MissAnn 11:15 AM 05-29-2014
I have no idea what the difference in $$ is between the whole chicken vs breasts but somehow I'm coming ahead as far as the food program goes on that meal.

My kids LOVE kidney beans. Since my dck's are young, I make deconstructed chili: kidney beans (meat), diced tomatoes (veg), I can't remember what the other veg is k and cornbread.

We also do black bean and cheese quesadillas a lot and bean and cheese burritos. I just cook a bag of pinto beans in the crockpot one day and then freeze can sized portions. I throw a bag in a small pot, add a teensy bit of oil salt and pepper, and mush it as they warm up.
Great! I hadn't roughy of kidney beans. Keep on posting your recipes...I like the deconstructed chili idea. Fresh tomatoes or canned? If I use fresh tomatoes, do I have to take off the skin? BTW, I am no cook!
craftymissbeth 11:41 AM 05-29-2014
I use fresh tomatoes with the skin on, but if you feel more comfortable using canned that'd be just as yummy. And they'd be a little softer, too for the littles. Most of mine say they don't like tomatoes, but I'm hell bent on serving them until they like them

I also make lentil burritos or tacos. I boil the lentils until they're soft, drain the water, throw them in a skillet with some taco seasoning and let them take on the flavor for a few minutes. They end up tasting pretty similar to ground beef. The price of lentils definitely beats the price of beef
craftymissbeth 11:43 AM 05-29-2014
Do you make your tortillas often? I've always wanted to try making homemade tortillas, but I'm nervous about it. I'm definitely no cook either! That's one of the reasons I "dumbed" down all of my meals
MissAnn 07:35 PM 05-29-2014
Do you make your tortillas often? I've always wanted to try making homemade tortillas, but I'm nervous about it. I'm definitely no cook either! That's one of the reasons I "dumbed" down all of my meals
I am gluten intolerant possibly celiac's. I also have a gluten free child but tomorrow is her last day. I've been serving no gluten, but now I can serve it.....I just won't eat it. I'm excited to have more foods to choose from

Anyway.....I do make tortillas often. For 7 small tortillas I add 1 cup masa harina, 1/8 cup coconut oil, and 1/2 cup hot water. I mix it and make 7 small balls. I use a tortilla press and wax paper to flatten them. I have a grill that fits across 2 burners and I cook 4 at a time. They are so good!
craftymissbeth 07:41 PM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I am gluten intolerant possibly celiac's. I also have a gluten free child but tomorrow is her last day. I've been serving no gluten, but now I can serve it.....I just won't eat it. I'm excited to have more foods to choose from

Anyway.....I do make tortillas often. For 7 small tortillas I add 1 cup masa harina, 1/8 cup coconut oil, and 1/2 cup hot water. I mix it and make 7 small balls. I use a tortilla press and wax paper to flatten them. I have a grill that fits across 2 burners and I cook 4 at a time. They are so good!
Oh, they sound awesome! I'm going to have to give it a try. Tortillas are on our menu once a week and I'm sure the kids would gobble them up much better than the stiff factory tortillas.
Reply Up