Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't See Eye to Eye
Unregistered! 12:16 PM 08-01-2017
Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues working with a partner in this business.

I currently work with my mother but I am going to have to get out of this game sooner than later.

Most of it is my own fault. I know her personality positive/negative. And I know she's the kind of person who cannot accept suggestions/constructive criticism.

I definitely think that in this business it is easy to end up being a nanny to 10 kids if you are not careful!

I'm just having no success in getting across to her that as a business there must be policies. Making exceptions for everything is driving me nuts. For example, breakfast is served to each child whenever they arrive, there is no consequence for picking up 30 to 45 minutes late on a regular basis, sick kids are regularly in care, and behavioral problems are glossed over.

I have no desire to run things like an Amazon warehouse full of robots, but some things are just so easy to fix.

I guess my question is has anyone had experience in successfully conveying to another person that this business is not necessary to yes/ok to every request from parents or be their friends to have a respectful and positive working relationship?

PS I can't answer these random questions!!!!
kendallina 06:32 PM 08-01-2017
You said it yourself. She's your mother and she cannot accept criticism well. If I were you, I'd maintain your relationship with your mom but cut business ties with her. I can't imagine doing this business with my mom!
rosieteddy 09:29 AM 08-02-2017
My daughter worked with me a short time.She was between jobs and lived at home.She was my employee and followed my program. That being said she did point out some ways to change things.She was looking at things with a new eye.I did change and followed her advice on some of my things.It was good to have an adult around but I hated that I was becoming the "bad guy"rule enforcer ect.I was relieved when she got a new job.Sometimes I thought that this was a good job for a sole adult.Someone needs to be the "boss".Just my take.I did close my program for 5 yrs and then work for another provider ,she was the "Boss"and I followed her lead.For your situation I would think whoevers home or idea it was to start then they would mostly be in charge.
Ariana 11:15 AM 08-02-2017
I hired my mom as my assistant for 3 weeks after I came of matt leave. I fired her after a week. I did not mince words, I simply said that I did not need her any more and to not bother coming next week...thanks for all your help yadda yadda. She was a horrible employee, couldn't follow directions and wanted to do whatever she wanted eventhough I told her she needed to follow my rules. I even made a daily schedule and posted it but time and time again I would have to remind her to do things. It was like having another kid around. The final straw was when she refused to bring the kids outside because it was too cold and then pouted and whined and acted like a jerk when I forced her to. Unreal behavior from a grown woman!

My advice would be to simply let her know you no longer need her help and want to go into business on your own. Be as sweet as pie but she needs to go!
Tags:business partner
Reply Up