Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some New Ideas!!
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 08-04-2017
Or maybe just some inspiration. I need to get some more family involvement going before my STARS renewal comes up again. For some reason, summer is not my favorite time for that. More kids, I feel more drained and less motivated. But my STARS renewal comes in the beginning of October.
Any (EASY??) ideas??
Thanks!!
Michael 03:37 AM 08-04-2017
Some ideas here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 08-04-2017
The parent cafe's are something that is really being pushed right now.

Basically a moderated commiseration party to help parents establish a peer support network with readily available education and concrete resources. They are started with a planned topic discussion like age appropriate behavior management but then the floor opens to issues they are dealing with and brainstorming solutions as a group.

Community building; 5 protective factors. http://www.icfs.org/pdf/FiveProtectiveFactors.pdf
daycare 09:18 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Or maybe just some inspiration. I need to get some more family involvement going before my STARS renewal comes up again. For some reason, summer is not my favorite time for that. More kids, I feel more drained and less motivated. But my STARS renewal comes in the beginning of October.
Any (EASY??) ideas??
Thanks!!
we are having a family contest. we do it every year.
we have the families create something with their child.

if you PM me I can share with you. I will reveal my identity if I tell you here...lmao
Josiegirl 09:28 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
we are having a family contest. we do it every year.
we have the families create something with their child.

if you PM me I can share with you. I will reveal my identity if I tell you here...lmao
Thanks, I will definitely pm you, it sounds intriguing and different from other ideas that I've tried or read!

From the link Michael posted, I think I'm going to host an ice cream social before school starts. It's something that'll be quick, still have time to plan, be a good way to 'send off' the dcks back to school and fun too.

Any more ideas for the upcoming year? Thanks all!!
Josiegirl 09:34 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The parent cafe's are something that is really being pushed right now.

Basically a moderated commiseration party to help parents establish a peer support network with readily available education and concrete resources. They are started with a planned topic discussion like age appropriate behavior management but then the floor opens to issues they are dealing with and brainstorming solutions as a group.

Community building; 5 protective factors. http://www.icfs.org/pdf/FiveProtectiveFactors.pdf
That sounds like a good idea! Just an informal get together(no kiddos right?), chatting over coffee and discuss topics/issues they might be dealing with. I am NOT a good leader or speaker though and wouldn't have a clue how to start something like that.
Cat Herder 10:16 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That sounds like a good idea! Just an informal get together(no kiddos right?), chatting over coffee and discuss topics/issues they might be dealing with. I am NOT a good leader or speaker though and wouldn't have a clue how to start something like that.
I started with a quick power point I made and a funny parenting video I stole via youtube. The coffee and brownies really did the rest. I kept it short and encouraged them (gift certificates) to take their party, without me, to a local pizzeria pub for a kid-free slice since they all already had a sitter for a bit to attend. All but one did, mission accomplished. Peer group and marriage support, badabing, two check marks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aslf5usxtnQ
daycare 10:19 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I started with a quick power point I made and a funny parenting video I stole via youtube. The coffee and brownies really did the rest. I kept it short and encouraged them (gift certificates) to take their party, without me, to a local pizzeria pub for a kid-free slice since they all already had a sitter for a bit to attend. All but one did, mission accomplished. Peer group and marriage support, badabing, two check marks
oh I so want to see the parenting video can you share with us?
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 08-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
oh I so want to see the parenting video can you share with us?
You must have been in my head, I added it at the same time you asked,above. This one is dad as batman.

My secret squirrel goal at the last one was empowering a couple nervous dads to engage and chilling out one henpecking mama (come on, we have all done it at one point or another, especially with our firstborns ) out so dad could participate in bonding.

Youtube has so many awesome parenting videos, I could copy and paste for days.
Tags:family involvement, stars program
Reply Up